Judaism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:11:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Judaism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Judaism  (Read 57568 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »
« edited: August 22, 2008, 12:46:23 AM by Ronnie »

If I am a conservative Jew, what am I politically?

Heh

Seriously now, I am a Jew, but I seem like I practice less of my religion every day.  I used to go to Shabbat services every day, but now I just go to Temple on high holidays.  Keeping Kosher has been tough for me, but I still do it just because I know I would be letting my family down and would feel extremely guilty if I stopped.

A lot of it has to do with laziness, I say.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:44 AM »

If I am a conservative Jew, what am I politically?

Heh

Nice joke.

Seriously, though, probably a hawkish socially-and-economically-moderately-liberal Democrat who doesn't want his kids to be gay or his daughter to have an abortion but doesn't want those banned.

Change it to moderately-conservative Republican, and you're right on the money. Wink 
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »

Keeping Kosher has been tough for me, but I still do it just because I know I would be letting my family down and would feel extremely guilty if I stopped.

Really? It shouldn't be too hard.

Not mixing dairy products and meat in a meal is intense.  My friends who do it have to constantly be on their watch.  A chicken caesar salad isn't kosher!

Also, having to make sure any animal you eat was bled.  That guarantees that you can only be comfortable buying meat from the kosher butcher.

Most people I know who are serious about keeping kosher end up becoming at least functional vegetarians, because it simplifies everything.

Exactly.  And I have to separate my silverware and plates in according to if they are meat or dairy.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 12:35:36 AM »

Keeping Kosher has been tough for me, but I still do it just because I know I would be letting my family down and would feel extremely guilty if I stopped.

Really? It shouldn't be too hard.

Not mixing dairy products and meat in a meal is intense.  My friends who do it have to constantly be on their watch.  A chicken caesar salad isn't kosher!

Also, having to make sure any animal you eat was bled.  That guarantees that you can only be comfortable buying meat from the kosher butcher.

Most people I know who are serious about keeping kosher end up becoming at least functional vegetarians, because it simplifies everything.

Exactly.  And I have to separate my silverware and plates in according to if they are meat or dairy.

My friend tried doing that for a while, but she says the rest of her family, especially her younger sister weren't able to do it.

Ah yes, milk & meat. If I were Jewish, I would convert to something else as soon as possible because of that. I couldn't imagine life without cheeseburgers. Tongue

...Are they good?

*waiting for obvious response*
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 06:31:56 PM by Ronnie »

Just something I was wondering: are there any Orthodox or Conservative Jews on the forum?  I'm Reform, and I'm pretty sure the other Jews are as well.

I'm a conservative Jew.

To be precise, I would be something of a "Reconservadox".  I drive on Shabbat, keep strict Kosher, go to a Reform temple, and usually go to temple on Shabbat and high holy days.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies