Why the Hawley hype? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 07:22:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why the Hawley hype? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why the Hawley hype?  (Read 7270 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: November 15, 2019, 11:13:06 PM »

DeSantis clearly will be the candidate on the populist wing so I see no reason why Hawley would be the contender.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 02:55:35 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2020, 03:06:24 AM by Old School Republican »

Then, I guess, I am going to surely leave my sympathies to GOP aside. I simply don't want to be a part of party cruicial part of which consists of WWC and Blue Collars. I just despise those people for their social and economic stances. Being myself from upper-middle class family by standards of my country and a freshman college student who plans to live in suburb and being middle-class like my parents, I just don't want reach out to them. It's above me. Me and some miner HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO JOINT INTERESTS. And that's not changing.

If I ever end up in USA I will be voting for Libertarian Party. Sadly neoconservativism and Reaganism are dying  and I won't find a place for me in both parties in a decade or even less Undecided

Why, though?  I mean, it doesn't bother me if you feel that way, but that's not a wise stance for any political party to make.  The US isn't like most of Europe which has several smaller parties with narrow, even niche coalitions.  The GOP has to work within the confines of the 2 party system.

Also, it would be a brazen mis-characterization to assume that the vast majority of 4 year degree voters are staunch supply siders and budget hawks.  The keynesian neo-liberalism that is the establishment norm (which most of these voters and the majority of the country supports) is not some right-wing view.  They probably heavily supported Reaganomics in 1985, and maybe even 1995, but the economics of Sowell/Friedman/Rothbard (which I've read alot in 2013-2015) are a minority position in the US, and has been for some period of time.

Just it hurts me to realise that in 10-year time  people with views like me (I am looking at you, OSR and Mark Meadows) will be a minority that won't have any political representation.
And nothing can be done to stop this tide at all this time. Reagan Revolution era in Conservativism unfortunately nears it's end.

Well, I guess Libertarian Party would be cracking around 6-8%  by 2036.  Tongue

OSR will be just fine, he understands Reagan the man and how he was able to build a strong winning coalition. You have to bring everyone along for the ride and work to make sure they all benefit. Once you start engaging in this game of I don't understand miners therefore I cannot share a party with you, the game is already up. Reagan figured out how to get both suburban bankers and the small town factory worker under the same roof. I might be out of touch with yours and Haley/Ryan's mentality, but I would never be caught dead refusing to share a party with you guys.

The funny part is I am not actually a populist, truth of the matter is populism scares the hell out of me as a Burkean Conservative and a believer in responsible finance. But if you don't address pressing needs, the people will find someone who will. Because conservatives failed to answer the dislocations caused by Free Trade, we ended up with our first protectionist President in decades and it can always get worse. If you really want to avert the next Trump, you have to make sure that your economic policies benefit the whole base, not one part (which is being squeezed by demographic change and liberalization) while telling the larger one to "suck it up" and learn to code.

Reagan understood how to do that. He put quotas on Japanese automakers, compromised with the Democrats to extend the life of social security and at the time ending stagflation benefited everyone not just suburbanites.

Yah if you listed out the policies Reagan implemented without listing his name many conservatives would call him a massive RINO .

On Free Trade: He was  free trader but in the mid 1980s his tarrifs on Japan actually saved the free trade ideology as the I beleive congress was about to pass bill that would have overridden reagan on trade and implement protectionism and Reagan understanding what that would do for free trade he eventually decided to put tarrifs on Japan

On Taxes: Yes he cut them but the 1986 bill also raised capital gains taxes, made it harder to take advantage of Depreciation, removed decutions for passive losses , expanded the earned income tax credit. He also raised the cap of social security taxes in a separate bill

On Healthcare: He signed a bill that required emergency rooms to treat patients without considering the patients ability to pay and basically used goverment regulations to expand Healthcare access.

On Environmental Regulations: He took governmental actions against the ozone layer crises and used regulatory powers to do so.

Reagan on economics is frankly to the left of Trump once you get beyond the rhetoric and look at the policies

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies