NY: Weld Quits Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:22:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY: Weld Quits Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NY: Weld Quits Race  (Read 5490 times)
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 05:44:18 PM »

any chance weld may someday run for mayor of nyc?

Probably NOT on the Libertarian line!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 05:46:18 PM »

Probably NOT on the Libertarian line!

because he is NOT a libertarian.

he is in favor of gun control, at least he was.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 10:46:35 AM »

This is certainly a possibility.

Mayor of NYC is a high profile political office, which has been occupied by some very colorful characters.

It seems to me with Weld's leftist views, he would fit right in for this job.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 05:43:50 AM »

I doubt it. As pointed out, the NYC mayorship is a high profile posistion (for a mayor at least), but still small potatos for a guy like Weld. I think he may take another whack at NY governor if the situation for the NYC GOP clears up.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »

I doubt it. As pointed out, the NYC mayorship is a high profile posistion (for a mayor at least), but still small potatos for a guy like Weld. I think he may take another whack at NY governor if the situation for the NYC GOP clears up.

Not going to happen.  The state GOP lost all of its relevance by embracing the social conservatism of the National GOP.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 06:12:22 PM »

I disagree that being Mayor of NYC would be small potatos for Weld.

Weld has no further political options beyond Governor of New York, which is now closed to him.

If he became Mayor of NYC, which is very unlikely, this would be a tremendously high profile and powerful political office for him, and a big political accomplishment on his part.

One must consider Weld's involvement in the Decker College scandal, and if he ever got elected to anything else in his life it would be a tremendous achievement for him, in particular Mayor of NYC.

I doubt, however, that he will ever be elected Mayor of NYC.     
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 12:54:24 AM »

Well, that settles it.  I'm voting third party come November.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 01:38:44 AM »

It really is fun to watch the NY GOP morph into the National GOP and commit political suicide isn't it?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 03:56:09 AM »

It really is fun to watch the NY GOP morph into the National GOP and commit political suicide isn't it?

How's the NY-3 race going? The pro-incumbent gerrymandering that NY has doesn't seem to be as effective at saving Republican asses as the CA one.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 12:13:16 AM »

How's the NY-3 race going? The pro-incumbent gerrymandering that NY has doesn't seem to be as effective at saving Republican asses as the CA one.

Their was a bit of gerrymandering last time around.  The heavily Republican Levittown area was moved from NY-4 to NY-3, NY-3 also added the immediate south shore in western suffolk from NY-2, and n the process split many communities between NY-2 and NY- (the more working class and more minority sections of some of these communities (and more democratic) remained in the 2nd meanwhile the immediate portions of the south shore which is much whiter wealthier and more Republican switched.  In return the 2nd district got wealthy areas of east Central Nassau County, but areas with large jewish population and Democratic. 

As a whole re-districting went to protecting both the Republican Incumbent King in NY-3 as well as the Democratic Incumbent Israel, but it is much more beneficial to King, as Israel is much safer.

Regarding the race, (which I have a thread on in the Congressional Section) Nassau Co Legislattor Dave Mejias D-North Massapequa (which is my legislator) is taking on King.  His websie is up & running though still being updated.  www.davemejias.com   

Nothing much has happened yet, as Mejias got into the race only within the last month. as fellow Nassau Legislator Dave Denenberg D-Merrick  had to drop out because of a throal operation.  King is the favorite at this point, and he has a huge $$$ advnatage.  However, Mejias if he is able to raise decent $$ will make things very interesting.  Great camapigner and speaker as shown in his Legislative election victories.  Mejias recently took some swipes at King over the Homeland Security Funding cuts to NYC, in that King should have done more beforehand and used his influence as Chairman regarding the funding.  Basically saying that having the Chairmanship position means little if you can't get done what needs to be done.

Anyway to keep this thread on topic I will foward a link to the thread on this race

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=33168.30
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies