Ontario municipal elections, (October 27, 2014) - Master thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario municipal elections, (October 27, 2014) - Master thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Author Topic: Ontario municipal elections, (October 27, 2014) - Master thread  (Read 53163 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »

Contrary to the tone of that article I hear that the vast majority of Ontario Liberals will quietly back Chow...starting with Kathleen Wynne herself
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »

Which makes ideological sense. At any rate whoever wins will want more money, even the Fords for their tax hikes.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »

Forum "poll" has Ford up 35-30-22 over Chow and Tory.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 12:39:48 PM »

Chow is "seriously considering" a run.
DL
Canada

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 05:37:26 PM »

All I'm interested in right now is a poll of just a head to head of Ford vs. Chow since I'm convinced that come Election Day, they will be the only two candidates still in the race
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »

All I'm interested in right now is a poll of just a head to head of Ford vs. Chow since I'm convinced that come Election Day, they will be the only two candidates still in the race

Endorsements have started
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/former-mlse-president-i-know-who-can-start-rebuilding-toronto/article16384702/?service=mobile
Odd it's a businessman who is supporting Chow! Smiley
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »

Huh? That Globe article I posted a few weeks ago said that she has certain support in the business community. There was an article in the Globe today about how Mississauga will be between Crombie and Mahoney. Parrish is running for Crombie's seat. Guess Sousa likes his current job, unless Hagrid's hearing something different. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »

Parrish isn't running for mayor? Darn.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »

Would've been good entertainment from a professional RL troll.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »

Would've been good entertainment from a professional RL troll.

Yes. We need some centre-left (yes, I'm admitting a Liberal is centre left!) troll mayors in Ontario to balance out the right wing trolls like Ford.
adma
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »

Well, not so much that it's a businessman, but that it's a *sports-based* businessman--usually, they're not the sort to endorse the left-of-centre.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:53 PM »

Wasn't MLSE owned by the teachers unions? Not a big a jump if that's the case.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »

Tory's apparently entering in a month or so.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »

Hashemite's councillor Rainer Bloess (Liberal, Innes Ward) will not be running for re-election. This means there will be at least 2 open seats in the Ottawa election.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:24 AM »

I have a Facebook friend who's decided to run for Ottawa City Council (signing up on friday), In Ward 22 (Gloucester-South Nepean) Kevin Fulsom
From what I know he's a NDP'er, at least a supporter. But sounds like he will run a moderate-progressive campaign, for that ward i think that might be a good idea no? Also said his grandfather was mayor of Ottawa at once point?

Here's what he wrote for what he plans to run on: (Ottawan you can chim in here)
" I think democratic reform is very important. The mayor and council should be able to be recalled by the electorate for a start. All city assets, like Hydro Ottawa, should have elected management boards. City management should probably become elected positions again, as they were in the past (they were called Controllers - a position my grandfather held in Ottawa before becoming mayor) However, as of now these issues, along with my environmental concerns haven't made it onto the key list of commitments. They may, as the campaign unfolds, depending on what I hear from residents about what matters to them. I will detail my position on every municipal topic on my upcoming website over time. I will also be making videos discussing my opinions starting this weekend. Here are a few items that will be featured most definitely.

• No new tax increases. Work within our existing financial framework to find sustainable, long-term solutions to city funding.
• Reign in the Sunshiners. No new wage increases for city employees earning more than $80,000 and cuts for those earning over $100,000. Money saved can be put towards infrastructure, community spaces, affordable childcare, profit generating investments and other priorities.
• Cut council and mayor salaries by 10%. Set an example for municipal employees to follow. Tie any future raises to rises in the median household income for residents of the city.
• Keep essential services affordable. Stop the extortionist annual increase to water and sewer bills and freeze OC Transpo fees at current levels. Lobby the provincial government on electricity rates and ensure that Hydro Ottawa does not implement any new fees on its end.
• Establish alternative revenue sources. Transform the city’s revenue and assets into productive capital by investing in local business, starting joint ventures, and building community owned, revenue-oriented businesses that can help create a more vibrant local economy and generate revenue for the city. Profits from these ventures can subsidize the city’s key priorities, effectively increasing the city’s budget without increasing taxes or fees for essential services.
• Expand non-profit childcare spaces. Ward 22 is full of new families trying to juggle work and family and waiting lists for existing facilities can be daunting.
• Create mid-sized entertainment facilities in every community. Diverse community centers that combine libraries, gyms, and social entertainment space for movies, games and local events should be brought to every community in the ward. A safe space for children, teens and adults to gather, make friends, and have fun in a diversified environment that brings together fitness, education, socialization and relaxation."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 03:10:57 PM »

Diane Deans is the councillor there, and she is the de-facto leader of the opposition on council (from the left), so I'm not sure what the point of his candidacy is. Deans may be a Liberal, but she is at least left of centre. 

lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 04:27:07 PM »

Diane Deans is the councillor there, and she is the de-facto leader of the opposition on council (from the left), so I'm not sure what the point of his candidacy is. Deans may be a Liberal, but she is at least left of centre. 

Wait, I looked it up the Councillor and it says its Steve Desroches; it (http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/your-city-government/city-wards) says Diana Deans is in Ward 10 Gloucester-Southgate...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »

Oops, I was thinking of Gloucester-Southgate!

Desroches is retiring, so it's an open seat.  The ward is very suburban, so not very friendly to progressives. 
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »

Oops, I was thinking of Gloucester-Southgate!

Desroches is retiring, so it's an open seat.  The ward is very suburban, so not very friendly to progressives. 

Makes sense... but if you read over what he "says" hes going to run on, it feels very moderate, in fact populist in the "control public spending" type of way. Well I hope he does well, since it will be an uphill but open seats, anything can happen and Councillors can win with small %s take Wong-Tam here in Toronto, in 2010 she won ward 27 with less then 30% (very packed field 15 candidates)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »

Anything is possible, but the ward is in the heart of conservative suburbia.  This reminds me of one of the things I'd like to do is show the transposition of the 2011 federal election results by ward (Toronto & Ottawa).

Speaking of the Ottawa election, conservative mayoral candidate Mike Maguire has a website: http://www.mikeformayor.ca/

lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 07:18:56 AM »

Anything is possible, but the ward is in the heart of conservative suburbia.  This reminds me of one of the things I'd like to do is show the transposition of the 2011 federal election results by ward (Toronto & Ottawa).

Speaking of the Ottawa election, conservative mayoral candidate Mike Maguire has a website: http://www.mikeformayor.ca/

Can that not be easily done with TO, the wards match almost the federal ridings just split in half.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 09:38:48 AM »

Can that not be easily done with TO, the wards match almost the federal ridings just split in half.

They don't actually, as they match the 1996 representation order ridings in half.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »

Tory is wooing Wynne's former guru Tom Allison as his campaign manager.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »

Better that Tory learns this particular message discipline lesson now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »

Irony alert: Ford blasting Tory for being a sexist 1%.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies