69% of the UK public support more gun regulations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:41:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  69% of the UK public support more gun regulations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 69% of the UK public support more gun regulations  (Read 5479 times)
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« on: June 04, 2010, 09:35:09 PM »

I love how the answer to every problem is always more laws.

You have an alternative solution? Let me hear it.

While I'm not really in favour of any new and restrictive law, I do admit it is probably the best option for the government to take with the hysteria, lack of rationality in public discourse (and in government), etc. I mean what are the alternatives?

I would never offer the ability of people to decide for themselves whether they'd like a firearm on the altar of public opinion, nor in this case, public hysteria. It's dangerous to me. The lack, as you say, of rationality in discourse would make me think the ability (not right) to own a weapon is now even more crucial, because of whatever else could become a hot button issue down the road.

As an American, we have plenty of paranoia no doubt about it, but the UK has always had a special brand of it that interests me, like London, and the camera fetish, or the 'dangerous dogs' act. The only alternative solution is let the commotion die off, without further restricting the ability to own a weapon.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »

Not everyone who buys a gun legally is law abiding, as the said example has shown. I fail to see any reason why any law abiding person needs a gun.

a) to have one
b) for protection
c) recreation
d) hunt (larger firearms)

Was that hard to figure out?
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:36:42 AM »

I'm quite annoyed at the idea of making the granting of rights subject to proving a "need" to have said rights.

But no one here thinks that owning a gun is a right or has anything to do with rights. As I've argued (endlessly, I'll admit) before, gun issues are cultural issues in the clearest way that anything can be a cultural issue.

Being a cultural issue doesn't exclude it from being considered a right, or that it shouldn't be legislated as such. Gay rights, for example.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »

I'm quite annoyed at the idea of making the granting of rights subject to proving a "need" to have said rights.

But no one here thinks that owning a gun is a right or has anything to do with rights. As I've argued (endlessly, I'll admit) before, gun issues are cultural issues in the clearest way that anything can be a cultural issue.

Being a cultural issue doesn't exclude it from being considered a right, or that it shouldn't be legislated as such. Gay rights, for example.

I thought you disagreed with the entire concept of rights?

I do, if we're talking about "natural", or inalienable rights. Legal rights are the ones we actually have.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »

The only people who ought to be allowed guns are the police.

Can someone explain to me how this is in any way a good idea?

I defer to Mr. B:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 04:09:03 PM »

Then explain why the founders talked about natural rights.

Because they wrongly thought natural rights exist.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »

Then explain why the founders talked about natural rights.

Because they wrongly thought natural rights exist.

Well you're a social communist, why should I care what you and your ilk think?

Haha, a social communist.

You don't need to care, but on the same token, you want to be taken seriously by people, right? Helps to have an understanding of what you're arguing about.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies