Arizona House of Representatives (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:16:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona House of Representatives (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arizona House of Representatives  (Read 6060 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: October 19, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »

So I'm reading this article about the races for the Arizona House this fall, and I was curious to learn about their method of election. There are 30 districts, and each district elects two members (top two vote-getters). However, every voter only gets to vote for one candidate.

So if a party manages to split their vote exactly right in some districts, they have the capability of electing two candidates. Making a concerted effort to split voting would be exceedingly difficult though. Alternatively, if they run just one candidate in some districts they'd be assured of winning one of the seats, but would be abandoning even making an effort on others. There are of course numerous different strategic ways besides this that a party could use to get more members.

So my question to you all is this: What is the most effective way of electing members to the State House under this system?

Wherever you are reading that material, let me assure you it is incorrect.

While there are two state representatives from each district, a registered Arizona voter gets to vote for two (not one)>

Ah, thank you Carl. Corporate media fails me again Sad

Okay, that makes sense. New Jersey uses multiple voting, too. I don't like it, but it's not a total sham the way SNTV is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies