In Defense of Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:01:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  In Defense of Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Defense of Obama  (Read 3453 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: October 08, 2014, 02:31:41 PM »

Ironic, because Paul Krugman is the very essence of a Very Serious Person.

Didn't he coin that phrase or at least popularize it though?  I've always taken "very serious person" to mean the David Brooks/George Will types.  You can certainly criticize Krugman for a few different things, but he's not that kind of annoying blowhard.  And, at least on the basic macro-economic questions, love or hate him, Paul Krugman was proven right in the past 5 or 6 years.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »

And, at least on the basic macro-economic questions, love or hate him, Paul Krugman was proven right in the past 5 or 6 years.
Such as?

-The economic stimulus worked and probably should have been even bigger and heavier on spending as opposed to tax cuts.
-QE didn't lead to a giant economic collapse or runaway inflation
-Obamacare has worked better than expected.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »

I give Obama a huge amount of credit for appointing Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court.  At the end of the day, Supreme Court appointments are the single most important part of the Presidential post in terms of long-term consequences, and Obama nailed both his shots.

In terms of policy his record is paltry in the first two years and nonexistent in the next four, but the latter part of that is due more to Congress.  The first part is on the White House and Democratic Congressional leadership, though.

His foreign policy, though it has had some setbacks, is still a net positive by any reasonable standard.

Barring events (and events will happen over the next two years) I would be surprised if Obama is considered below a C to C+ president, and could well end up in the B- or B range.

The ACA.

The stimulus bill and managing the recession.

Dodd-Frank.

That stacks up to any President in recent memory.  It not only stacks up, each one was more important than anything Clinton did in terms of domestic policy.  The ACA especially is a major accomplishment that ought to go down in history.

How is that record paltry?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »

@Antonio: Pretty sure I could pick out a random two years from Clinton that did just as much.

I'm pretty sure you can't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies