Diplomacy Dreams
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:15:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Diplomacy Dreams
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Author Topic: Diplomacy Dreams  (Read 12955 times)
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2024, 10:52:41 PM »
« edited: March 07, 2024, 10:36:41 AM by themaninthejinnahcap »

Good evening one and all,

My name is Jesse. Some of you may know of me from a different thread where Scott/JustPassionThrough floated the idea of running a Diplomacy game with members from the forum. I volunteered to run the game and it was suggested I make an account here just for everyone's convenience. Quick shout-out on that note to Virginia for helping us out when I had some issues with the registration!

The plan I have in mind is to get the full seven (7) members who wish to play, and we are currently missing two (2) players. We already have JustPassionThrough, GeorgiaModerate, The Mikado, YPestis25, and IBNU.  I was thinking of creating a ProtonMail account for each power and DMing the User/Pass to each forum member when I have randomly assigned them to the powers. In each inbox the members will have the list of the other powers' email addresses and mine, the Game Master email address. Members will conduct their communications anonymously and can even send me anonymous Public Press messages to be posted in this thread. I came up with this idea assuming people might want that but if the members involved would rather play with their names attached to their power and just message one another on the site, that's perfectly fine with me.

I will set the map in picture format and post an updated one for every phase, taking orders as needed between them. I was thinking a 24 hour time limit to make negotiations and moves would be best but this is just my preference. All the pictures and announcements will be posted by myself in this thread. I am EST, we can arrange to have every turn adjudicated at perhaps 8-10PM? That will require some input from the players as to what works for everyone. Turns may on occasion be adjudicated early by unanimous consent of the players or delayed for weekends, personal emergencies, what have you.

Please let me know if you would like to be in the game, if you have any questions or suggestions, etc. This will be my first time running a Diplomacy game so I'm open to feedback and I hope to make it a thrilling experience for all!
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 11:00:54 PM »

I would be willing to try this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 12:48:05 AM »

I'd be up for this.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 01:37:14 AM »

Yeh bestie

Looks like we're at seven.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 10:01:35 AM »

Reconfirming my interest here Smiley Thanks for organizing!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 10:28:11 AM »

Some thoughts:

Thanks for organizing this!

I suggest posting a link to the official rules that will be used for the game, for everyone's reference.

The very first turn should have a longer deadline to allow for initial negotiations.  In OTB Diplomacy, the first turn is usually twice as long as subsequent ones.

I would prefer to play entirely here, but am willing to go with the anonymous / protonmail alternative if that's what the majority prefers.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 10:59:47 AM »

It would probably make things easier for everyone, Jesse included, if we do everything here, as long as security issues aren't a concern. I am also very flexible, however.

And yes, for the initial negotiations, a 48-hour period or so should kick off after all the powers have been assigned. That's assuming we're going with 24-hour turns.

I also want to echo a sentiment GeorgiaModerate expressed in the other thread: this is a long game, and also one that people are encouraged to play until they are eliminated, a draw is voted on, or if a person gets a solo win with 18 centers. As long as you have at least one army or fleet, you're still in the game. Even if you're about to be wiped out, surrendering is highly discouraged unless life circumstances require it and those who are less confident about time or commitment should look for a substitute.

One of the advantages of using ProtonMail is that accounts can be transferred and the original player's correspondence will be accessible. But surrenders always change the dynamics of the game and hurt everyone who's not one of your immediate neighbors.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 11:09:44 AM »

Oh, is jumping in now too late?
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 11:10:01 AM »

I would also prefer to do everything here.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 11:30:55 AM »

Sorry. Actually Tim, you would have priority (over GoTfan) since you already expressed interest in the initial thread. Kuumo also gets in because he posted before GoTfan. Still, if we have more than seven willing participants, that means finding a substitute won't be difficult if someone does quit mid-game.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 11:57:39 AM »

Sorry. Actually Tim, you would have priority (over GoTfan) since you already expressed interest in the initial thread. Kuumo also gets in because he posted before GoTfan. Still, if we have more than seven willing participants, that means finding a substitute won't be difficult if someone does quit mid-game.
Okay.
Please let me know when a spot is available.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 12:00:01 PM »

Okay.

You have a spot already. I just miscounted and forgot your name when Jesse sent me the draft of the OP.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 12:01:51 PM »

Okay.

You have a spot already. I just miscounted and forgot your name when Jesse sent me the draft of the OP.
Oh.
Nice to hear then.
Let me know when the game begins then. And the steps to take to start it up.
Thanks in advance.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 05:50:06 PM »

So I'm not in then?
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 06:09:41 PM »

I've got you written down in the substitute list and if people are interested in a second game after this one, you'll have a guaranteed slot.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 06:11:41 PM »

I've got you written down in the substitute list and if people are interested in a second game after this one, you'll have a guaranteed slot.

I certainly hope it doesn't happen in this one, but based on the last game we played here, the odds are pretty high that one or more substitutes will be needed.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2024, 06:45:13 PM »

Here's the deal, Jessica Biel:

I can not post links due to the age of my account, so Scott will post the links I provided for the rules and the map. I will go about posting the additional 16-17 times or so in other threads so I'll be able to post the updated map by the time it's required.

The adjudication will be done around 10:00 PM Eastern Standard Time every day unless otherwise hastened or delayed by consent of myself and the players. I say "around" because obviously some turns may take me five minutes to adjust the pieces and some turns may take me much longer. So expect to receive results between 10:00-11:00 PM EST unless notified otherwise. Orders can be submitted to me throughout the day.

I will post the board's starting position tomorrow night so everyone has tonight and all day to give the rules a brief run through. The first turn that begins tomorrow will also be 48 hours long instead of 24 as it is the first turn, as you all have no doubt read in this thread already, that is indeed standard.

Questions about the game rules or house rules related to this game specifically are encouraged, I am very lenient with minor misspellings with the orders and such. When in doubt, write the whole thing out. There's no need to abbreviate if you think it will affect clarity.

That just leaves us with the big announcement for tonight, the powers! I chose them randomly and they are:

Scott/JustPassionThrough: AUSTRIA

GeorgiaModerate: TURKEY

The Mikado: RUSSIA

YPestis25: GERMANY

IBNU: ENGLAND

TimTurner: FRANCE

Kuumo: ITALY

Let me know if there's any confusion or something I haven't covered, questions, etc. Beyond that, I'm excited to watch this game play out!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 06:48:16 PM »

>Austria

Here are the links:

Diplomacy rules: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Diplomacy/Rules
This wiki is very helpful; the rules are perhaps the most concisely compiled of any guide I've seen. The other articles even have openings, tactics, advice, etc for the new and experienced player to peruse.

Diplomacy map: https://i.imgur.com/esgCrs6.png
This is the map we will be using. I will place symbols for the Armies and Fleets on it and colour in the territories as needed throughout the course of the game.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2024, 06:53:35 PM »

Welp, never done a Germany game before so this will be interesting!
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2024, 06:57:48 PM »

">Austria"

I'm so sorry, Scott. It was literally the first draw I made, too. Does everyone know your Austrian history?  Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 06:59:51 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2024, 08:00:05 PM by The world will shine with light in our nightmare »

">Austria"

I'm so sorry, Scott. It was literally the first draw I made, too. Does everyone know your Austrian history?  Tongue

I mentioned it in the other thread. Whether I overperform my expectations or not at least I can expect a cordial game like that one, bad as it went for me as a first-time player. Tongue
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 07:07:36 PM »

">Austria"

I'm so sorry, Scott. It was literally the first draw I made, too. Does everyone know your Austrian history?  Tongue

I mentioned it in the other thread. Whether I overperform my expectations or not at least I can expect a cordial game like that one, bad is it went for me as a first-time player. Tongue

Austria is a tough pick for a first game, there was no shame in that performance. Bulgaria remembers, though.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 07:40:55 PM »

>First-time player
>Italy

I’ll try my best to put Mussolini to shame.
themaninthejinnahcap
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 07:50:26 PM »

>First-time player
>Italy
If you can conquer even one African territory without making a laughingstock of yourself you're already doing great!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 07:53:16 PM »

>First-time player
>Italy
If you can conquer even one African territory without making a laughingstock of yourself you're already doing great!

You might even get a solo. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies