Worst Candidates in Modern History (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 10:23:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Worst Candidates in Modern History (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worst Candidates in Modern History  (Read 32464 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: May 16, 2010, 04:51:44 AM »

Where in the world is there a more democratic system then in the US?

I can name two dozen right away.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »

Where in the world is there a more democratic system then in the US?

I can name two dozen right away.

Such as?

I love Europe, but many of their government systems are lethally corrupt. I'm part Italian, and have visited there twice. Their entire system is corrupt beyond belief, not to say it's bad, but it's far less democratic than the US. The situation in the UK shows that our system is far more democratic. Look at Thailand and see just how stable and Democratic we are.

P.S.: Al Gore (along with Jimbo Carter) is my least favorite Democrat to win the Democratic nomination in 50 years, and probably the only one that I could never see myself voting for. He is a complete flip-flopper, an opportunist, and a terrible candidate. He has no root values that drive his political convictions. I would have voted for Bradley in 2000, and either Bush or Nader in the general, but not Gore.

Most anywhere!

I don't love Europe (quite the contrary), but I know a crooked system when I see one. The method of electing the President, a position with huge power, does not purport to be democratic. The Senate is nearly anti-democratic.

I like how you say "many" and then refer only to Italy. Italy's one of the worst cases on the continent, but even fake-PR in both houses is better than what America has with its Congress. Italy certainly isn't corrupt beyond beliefe, either: I hail from Bangladesh, a fake democracy, and what goes on in Italy is nothing. Thailand is another fake democracy. I never claimed it was more democratic than the United States.

As for the United Kingdom, 10 parties had candidates elected in the last election. I believe Vito Marcantonio was the last third-party candidate elected to Congress. It's hard to really have democracy when the only competitors for votes are two organizations that aren't really even parties, but rather extensions of the state.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »

You do know that there was a backroom deal that if Hayes won the election, Reconstruction would end, and the Republicans stole the election becuase of that deal. Yes, 1876 was a stonlen election. Good thing there were only 2 or 3 others.

No. If Tilden had won, it would only have been because of massive disenfranchisement of black voters in the South.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies