Margaret Thatcher dies at 87
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:20:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Margaret Thatcher dies at 87
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Author Topic: Margaret Thatcher dies at 87  (Read 51177 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »

I would like to know the answer to this too. I don't think I've ever heard anything about Clement Attlee's funeral.

He had an ordinary funeral like basically other PM bar Churchill and (now) Thatcher.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2013, 05:32:08 PM by Northeast Representative Kalwejt »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtClJYJBj8

I loved the shout "we can't take it" from the Tory bench. Hard to take the truth indeed.

And the Speaker's reaction to fake outrage, priceless.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »

I loved the shout "we can't take it" from the Tory bench. Hard to take the truth indeed.

Typical celebrity turned politician hypocrite is hypocritical. Maybe when Glenda Jackson moves into a council house and gives her Oscar award to a homeless person I will take her seriously. At least George Galloway and Gerry Adams seem sincere in there thrashings.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2013, 06:02:13 PM by forward '12 »

Typical celebrity turned politician hypocrite is hypocritical. Maybe when Glenda Jackson moves into a council house and gives her Oscar award to a homeless person I will take her seriously. At least George Galloway and Gerry Adams seem sincere in there thrashings.

Glenda Jackson was by no means born into it and she was brought up in a part of the country particularly hurt by Mags.

(Also, of note to UK posters, I'd never have guessed that Dan Hodges was her son!)
Khunanup
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -8.26

« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »

You a Wirral man as well then Forward '12?
Khunanup
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -8.26

« Reply #256 on: April 10, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »

Need more of us on these forums!

It's also where Glenda Jackson if from which is why Forward's link to Frank Field's comments is so ironic. Frank Field is of course not originally from the Wirral.
Pilchard
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -4.87

P P P
« Reply #257 on: April 10, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »

Also, honest question, but did Harold Wilson do anything similar when Clement Attlee died? The 45-51 Labour government, after all, was as objectively groundbreaking as the 79-97 Tory government was.

I would like to know the answer to this too. I don't think I've ever heard anything about Clement Attlee's funeral.

I've had a look and tributes were made in the Commons after returning from the summer recess about two weeks after his death.

Not found any details about his funeral, but there was a memorial service during which his ashes were interred in Westminster Abbey. (video)
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #258 on: April 10, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

Tremendous.

Getting a good laugh out of these tributes I'm reading that place Thatcher's name alongside Attlee's and Churchill's. Hilarious.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #259 on: April 10, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »

Field's comments are strange. Hugo Chavez was also probably much better at pushing through radical reforms than both Blair and Brown. Does he admire him too?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #260 on: April 10, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »

change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2013, 07:02:51 PM »

Field's comments are strange. Hugo Chavez was also probably much better at pushing through radical reforms than both Blair and Brown. Does he admire him too?

Field was close friends with Thatcher though, don't forgot. Not to mention that he was one of the first on the Labour benches to fall out with GB and then Blair when he refused to promote him to cabinet.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »

Glenda Jackson was by no means born into it and she was brought up in a part of the country particularly hurt by Mags.

(Also, of note to UK posters, I'd never have guessed that Dan Hodges was her son!)
Neither was Thatcher, or the businessmen who benefited under her? So, because Glenda Jackson was born poor, she gets to live in a nice house, which she rightfully earned by starring in excellent movies, but all the other capitalists are "cruel."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »

Margaret Thatcher's father was a greengrocer, preacher, and Mayor of Grantham. Glenda Jackson's was a bricklayer. The divide between upper and middle is not the only one there is in the class system, especially in Britain.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #264 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2013, 07:34:48 PM by Sibboleth »

Owner of a local chain of greengrocers and head of this that and everything else in Grantham for more than a couple of years. A big fish in a small pond, so to speak. A very small pond, really, but that's not what matters to people like that (or what was passed on to his daughter).
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2013, 06:55:36 AM »

Neither was Thatcher, or the businessmen who benefited under her? So, because Glenda Jackson was born poor, she gets to live in a nice house, which she rightfully earned by starring in excellent movies, but all the other capitalists are "cruel."

How the hell are you getting that from what I said? I wasn't comparing Glenda Jackson to Margaret Thatcher. All I'm saying is that she's not particularly sycophantic towards Thatcher because she's seen the effect that her government had over vast sections of the country.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #266 on: April 11, 2013, 07:40:43 AM »

The double standard by the Right re: Chavez and Thatcher is utterly ridiculous.

On Chavez: "Good riddance to the evil Commie dictator!"
On Thatcher: "Please have class and respect the dead!"

F-ck that.
Agreed 100%

(except I think you have the details backwards....there were only a couple of poeple bashing on Chavez and the thread was only 7 pages long.  You had to get to the third page to find the second person hating on him.  I'm pretty sure there were more people bitching about "respect for the dead" than there were people bashing the dead....not quite the same in this thread is it?  But yes, double standards suck...they're just harder to see when you and your friends are doing it.)

There are more people on the left than on the right here, simple.
Don't try and tell them that, they will fall all over themselves denying it.  At best you'll get a "slight" left lean.  The people that think (for whatever reason) that this is an international message board will tell you it leans right.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #267 on: April 11, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »

The Rt. Hon. Balding Welsh Git can't go the funeral. He's got another funeral to go to on the day. Doubt he'd want to go anyway.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/11/lord-kinnock-margaret-thatcher_n_3059473.html?1365677541&utm_hp_ref=uk
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #268 on: April 11, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »

The double standard by the Right re: Chavez and Thatcher is utterly ridiculous.

On Chavez: "Good riddance to the evil Commie dictator!"
On Thatcher: "Please have class and respect the dead!"

F-ck that.
Agreed 100%

(except I think you have the details backwards....there were only a couple of poeple bashing on Chavez and the thread was only 7 pages long.  You had to get to the third page to find the second person hating on him.  I'm pretty sure there were more people bitching about "respect for the dead" than there were people bashing the dead....not quite the same in this thread is it?  But yes, double standards suck...they're just harder to see when you and your friends are doing it.)

There are more people on the left than on the right here, simple.
Don't try and tell them that, they will fall all over themselves denying it.  At best you'll get a "slight" left lean.  The people that think (for whatever reason) that this is an international message board will tell you it leans right.

This is an international message board, since it has a sizable share of non-American posters.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #269 on: April 11, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »

So becoming rich but wanting an equal society anyway because you've known what it's like not to be is considered hypocritical to you, but a woman who professed to roll back the state (in actuality just subsidies and support for the working class) whilst centralising power and proscribing which videos could be watched and precisely what schools were allowed to (or in this case couldn't) teach on homosexuality isn't. Oh and supporting authoritarian dictators lol.  
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »

So being rich but wanting an equal society is considered hypocritical to you, but a woman who professed to roll back the state (in actuality just subsidies and support for the working class) whilst centralising power and proscribing which videos could be watched and precisely what schools were allowed to (or in this case couldn't) teach on homosexuality isn't. Oh and support authoritarian dictators lol. 

BUT THEY WERE PRO-FREE MARKET!!!!1111
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #271 on: April 11, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »

So being rich but wanting an equal society is considered hypocritical to you, but a woman who professed to roll back the state (in actuality just subsidies and support for the working class) whilst centralising power and proscribing which videos could be watched and precisely what schools were allowed to (or in this case couldn't) teach on homosexuality isn't. Oh and support authoritarian dictators lol.  

BUT THEY WERE PRO-FREE MARKET!!!!1111

The people were FREE to live in abject misery and fear!  
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: April 11, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »

So becoming rich but wanting an equal society anyway because you've known what it's like not to be is considered hypocritical to you, but a woman who professed to roll back the state (in actuality just subsidies and support for the working class) whilst centralising power and proscribing which videos could be watched and precisely what schools were allowed to (or in this case couldn't) teach on homosexuality isn't. Oh and supporting authoritarian dictators lol.  
So, when is Glenda Jackson gonna give up 83% of her annual earnings? Tell me, do you personally think you are entitled to healthcare primarily funded with money from Glenda Jackson’s wallet?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #273 on: April 11, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »

So, when is Glenda Jackson gonna give up 83% of her annual earnings? Tell me, do you personally think you are entitled to healthcare primarily funded with money from Glenda Jackson’s wallet?

Probably when she adopts the laughable notion that voluntary charity is the best way to redistribute wealth and help the struggling working classes despite its complete failure to do just that in Victorian times. As for healthcare - absolutely, and she probably does to.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »

Probably when she adopts the laughable notion that voluntary charity is the best way to redistribute wealth and help the struggling working classes despite its complete failure to do just that in Victorian times. As for healthcare - absolutely, and she probably does to.
As for healthcare - absolutely, and she probably does to.
So, you think the upper 1% should pay for your needs. In other words, you are a contemptible parasite. It is not an unfair idea for a national sales tax or flat income tax that puts all people in the same bracket to cover a national healthcare plan. It is unfair for the wealthy people at the top to pay for your healthcare because you have not earned the money they have earned in life. Everyone has one basic thing that makes them equal-your natural instinct to make a profit if you choose to follow it.  The fact that you support the redistribution of wealth in order to save your own money proves this instinct.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies