Treasury Sec. to announce Harriet Tubman will replace Jackson on the $20 bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:00:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Treasury Sec. to announce Harriet Tubman will replace Jackson on the $20 bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Treasury Sec. to announce Harriet Tubman will replace Jackson on the $20 bill  (Read 5915 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« on: April 20, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »

I guess to some people the guy who squashed the Klan is worse than the guy responsible for the Trail of Tears.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »

Wolf Blitzer unironically said that the decision announced today means that Hamilton "dodged a bullet."
Too soon imo
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 05:41:54 AM »

The trail of tears is horrible, but it does not negate what Jackson did.
This is true in the sense that there wasn't anything good to negate
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »

How do you celebrate Hariet Tubman without disparaging Jackson? Seems to me that celebrating Hariet Tubman in and of itself is disparaging Jackson in the same way that celebrating the White Rose would be inherently disparaging to Hitler.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »

I agree, celebrating Tubman's life by putting her on the $20 to replace Jackson is somewhat disparaging to Jackson in itself. Webb's point was about more than who is on the bill, though. I can live with Tubman replacing Jackson on the $20 - she's worthy of such a high honor - what bothers me is the public and the media unceremoniously tossing out one of America's most important historical leaders and stomping on his legacy.

Nobody is disputing that Jackson was an important figure - in fact, if they didn't think he mattered, why waste the time trying to slander him? The issue is that Jackson's legacy was extremely harmful and should not be celebrated. Was Joseph Stalin not an extremely important historical figure? Does that mean we should honor him? Obviously not.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This claim is absurd. Jackson very much was not in favor of the people at the bottom having any sort of power, otherwise he wouldn't have owned so many of them. Even ignoring that, what exactly did Jackson do for democracy? Supporting universal white male suffrage? A pretty empty gesture given most states already had that by the time he was sworn in, and, as MOP already mentioned, basing suffrage on race is hardly a step up from basing it on property ownership. I'd argue it's actually a step backwards, and served to divide the lower classes, further empowering aristocrats like Jackson. Now, you have two groups who should have similar interests, poor whites and poor blacks, at each other throats instead of against the people who are actually oppressing them. Not to mention, the policies he did pursue very much made life worse for the "common man" he claimed to represent. Killing the bank? Great symbolic gesture! Or at least, it would have been if it didn't plunge the economy into a depression and led the masses to starve. Oops. And of course, there was his commitment to upholding the institution of slavery, killing social mobility and keeping the poor white class poor. But hey, at least he let them vote for him!

It's hardly "anachronistic." Jackson had these criticisms thrown at him when he was alive. Turns out the idea that genocide is morally wrong isn't as novel as most people seem to think.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »

You think Andrew Jackson caused that? I'm dying laughing...

Obviously not, although reading comprehension has never been a strong suit of yours so I see how you'd get that impression.
Suggesting something that had literally happened is possible is a "total misunderstanding of history?" Then I guess literally everything I knew about history has been wrong. Huh. TIL.

See, I disagree, but that's only because I am not a white supremacist.
You're not incorrect that these ideas have been pushed by the elite long before Jackson came around, and they were extraordinarily effective

Well no sh**t
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 05:34:28 AM »

That was such a weak response I'm not even doing the quote by quote thing. The working class can be horrible. Just get over it. Racism from America is often bottom up. Communism is a joke. All noble truths.
One of the most common rationalizations for members of the lower class to defend slavery was that it meant that someone was always ranked below them. For similar reasons, I enjoy having you on the forum.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »

?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies