BREAKING: Appeals court denies Trump administration request to reinstate ban (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:34:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Appeals court denies Trump administration request to reinstate ban (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Appeals court denies Trump administration request to reinstate ban  (Read 7401 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: February 09, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »

Yeah, so now it's clearly high time to just ignore the courts and go ahead anyway. Why wait for them if they can't keep up with the times?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »

So what are these judges going to do if Homeland Security decides to go ahead anyway? Send RBG to keep them from doing so? lmao
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »

The constitution is p boring imo. Let's make politics a little bit more exciting!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 07:57:50 PM »

That's not a nice thing to say.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »

Yeah, so now it's clearly high time to just ignore the courts and go ahead anyway. Why wait for them if they can't keep up with the times?

If your goal is to witness a constitutional crisis and perhaps push our entire constitutional republic to its edge, then yes, that's a brilliant idea. It also seems like the one Trump is most likely to take in the event the SCTOUS strikes down his Muslim ban.

Since you don't seem to appreciate the purpose and necessity for our system of checks and balances, then I suppose you'd like to see what America would look like with an unchecked executive. I can answer that for you: the executive would have no limits on its authority, as it would then define its own limits without regard for the constitution, and our entire government would functionally collapse as power transfers upwards into the Presidency. That's what's called a dictatorship or authoritarian regime. Is that really what you want?
I was trolling, but, credit where credit is due, your response is excellent and almost makes me feel sorry for doing so. While I broadly support Trump's EO (though not all aspects) and am slightly annoyed with courts striking it down, it is important to respect the system of checks and balances, which exists to preserve freedom, and not overstep one's boundaries.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies