Career path advice for an incoming college student? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:42:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Career path advice for an incoming college student? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Career path advice for an incoming college student?  (Read 12363 times)
vitoNova
United States

« on: September 23, 2023, 10:03:05 AM »

Networking is overrated.

But then again, I work in the Federal government where just because you know so-and-so whose daddy is so-and-so, or met a prospective "lead" at a happy hour function doesn't mean jack squat.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 08:49:56 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2023, 09:14:12 PM by vitoNova »

Networking is overrated.

But then again, I work in the Federal government where just because you know so-and-so whose daddy is so-and-so, or met a prospective "lead" at a happy hour function doesn't mean jack squat.

Do you have a favorite guide for formatting a federal resume?

No.

My only pieces of advice:

DO NOT use walls of paragraphs-of-text on your USAJOBs resume.  Lots of old-skool fed folks mistakenly believe some OPM supercomputer only scans keywords; and that visual aesthetics don't matter.  (They absolutely do).  Provided you pass the initial screening, actual human beings are laying their eyeballs on your resume.  Use bullet points please.  

Just because a position is open for like 2 days on USAJobs DOES NOT mean the agency has an internal applicant in mind.  

Cover letters matter.  Unless the job announcement specifically requests not to include one.  But these are usually blue-collar jobs for like GS-5 tree-trimmers for the National Park Service in Bootyhole, Tennessee.  
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 05:46:51 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2023, 05:49:53 AM by Deconstructionist »

Provided you're high-speed, most college internships will almost assuredly snag you a job after you graduate.   I don't know where I'd be today without my internship during my undergrad years.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 09:16:40 PM »

Provided you're high-speed, most college internships will almost assuredly snag you a job after you graduate.   I don't know where I'd be today without my internship during my undergrad years.

Ye, but I still have 3 summers. From what I've heard in modern times it's basically impossible for Freshman to get good internships unless you are very well connected and/or a genuine genius. This is because internships are often attempt by companies to get those folks to work for them after college, so upperclassmen are far more desireable.

If I don't get an internship this summer, I will do tutoring to make some money as well as work on research project, which will still contribute to my resume

Don't know how it's like in the private sector, since my internship was in the federal guvmint (If I recall, you have to be at least a junior to be considered for a paid STEP, or whatever they're called now)

The only downside about interning with the federal government is that there is no such thing as a "fast-track" to a job upon graduation, so it literally takes MONTHS after graduation to find out if you snagged a full-time position--because you had to compete with every single Tom, Dick, and Harry in the general public for an entry-level GS-9 even at an agency where you worked at for 9-12 months in college.

I spent many sleepless nights applying for grad school or gay stuff like the FBI (things I really didn't want to do), because of that state of uncertainty.  But yes, the moment I received that tentative offer, I got down on my knees and thanked Mormon Space Jeebus.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 09:35:23 PM »

Ye, but I still have 3 summers. From what I've heard in modern times it's basically impossible for Freshman to get good internships unless you are very well connected and/or a genuine genius. This is because internships are often attempt by companies to get those folks to work for them after college, so upperclassmen are far more desireable.

If I don't get an internship this summer, I will do tutoring to make some money as well as work on research project, which will still contribute to my resume

Don't know how it's like in the private sector, since my internship was in the federal guvmint (If I recall, you have to be at least a junior to be considered for a paid STEP, or whatever they're called now)

The only downside about interning with the federal government is that there is no such thing as a "fast-track" to a job upon graduation, so it literally takes MONTHS after graduation to find out if you snagged a full-time position--because you had to compete with every single Tom, Dick, and Harry in the general public for an entry-level GS-9 even at an agency where you worked at for 9-12 months in college.

I spent many sleepless nights applying for grad school or gay stuff like the FBI (things I really didn't want to do), because of that state of uncertainty.  But yes, the moment I received that tentative offer, I got down on my knees and thanked Mormon Space Jeebus.

Ik my parents have mentioned I consider working in the federal government for something like CIA or FBI. They argue that Government jobs generally provide a better sense of long-run stability than the private sector, and you're also less likely to encounter some of the nastier forms of office politics. However, the downside is often these jobs don't pay as much as private sector jobs of simillar skill demands. From your experience would you say this is true?

I've never had debt and I've always been thrifty with money, and I've always been on the government payroll since I was 18, so I can't really fathom a private sector job with 6 figures with just a BA.  The concept is alien to me. 

I actually applied to the CIA the summer I graduated college through their website...and never heard back.  I got the distinct impression my application went out to the Void.  lol.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies