Massive fraud in Afghanistan election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:15:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Massive fraud in Afghanistan election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Massive fraud in Afghanistan election  (Read 4110 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: September 06, 2009, 02:34:48 AM »

This was local fraud. Committed by both sides, I should add (not saying anything about extent), and helped by a dirt poor turnout. More on the model of an instable dirt poor country with western-imposed democracy as frequently seen in Africa, then; not the model of a strongman's dictatorship with window dressing elections as in Suharto's Indonesia or in Morocco.

I agree pulling out - or rather, ending OEF - would make sense. It took me time to understand that the flaw to Afghanistan plans was really as gamelosing disastrous as it looks on paper. The "country building" mission was doomed to certain failure if it could get identified with the non-defensive warfare on civilians/insurgents committed by the Americans and British from the first. It should never have gone ahead.
Meh. I was hopeful in 2001 and ready to ignore what I always knew was a flaw. Of course, OEF was initially marketed as "we'll just hunt out Osama bin Laden and the handful of people still with him, be gone by the end of the year". Yeah, well, lmao.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »

If these "quarantined" ballots (all from stuffed 100% turnout, 100% Karzai booths, presumably) are not yet included in the partial but (according to my understanding) near-complete totals that have Karzai at 54%, then Karzai does not need them to avoid a runoff.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »

Do you think Karzai genuinely has won this election removing fraud cases?
No. I think Karzai has won this election removing those too-obvious fraud cases the commission will throw out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:58:04 AM »

There are two commissions. One owned by Karzai, one by the US of A. Karzai's people theoretically have the final say, but they - or rather, Karzai - have given in what the other commission - or rather, the US Government - wants.

Any Afghan left with any faith in western-style democracy or the west or Karzai or Abdullah after this unseemly, monthlong and semiopen wrangling process is clearly stark barking insane.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies