Do you feel like we're getting collectively dumber as a population, or smarter? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:49:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you feel like we're getting collectively dumber as a population, or smarter? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you feel like we're getting collectively dumber as a population, or smarter?  (Read 6531 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: June 24, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »

As I've said on a previous thread, I don't think Americans are on average any smarter or dumber in the abstract than they were before.  I do think, however, that we are far more selfish and stubborn than most other generations of Americans.  In the 1930's and '40's, Americans went through a depression where unemployment reached as high as 25% and stayed high over a prolonged period of time, as well as fought an unwanted world war against two major world powers, and people to a large extent were strong and got through it.  Now we are going through a very tough time, with prolonged 10% unemployment, two wars against minor powers and the challenges to the gulf coast.  But, in response, we cry like babies, point fingers at everyone else besides ourselves, and tolerate proposed solutions only to the extent that they give us everything we want and demand nothing of us in return.  In my view, the biggest problem Americans have these days is not an intelligence deficit, but a character deficit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies