Is it time to end Atlasia? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:13:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Is it time to end Atlasia? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Vote!
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Is it time to end Atlasia?  (Read 5183 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: July 04, 2015, 02:28:45 AM »

Well the game isn't dead, we just had a month or so with bad activity where the Senate was running low on numbers-we've had a pretty close election this weekend for the At-Large Seat.

My biggest gripe, ironically is that it seems to be all about party voting. Like someone could create a thread literally saying 'I want to run for election, vote for me' and the entire party would vote for them, against a much better candidate. I know that's just how it works.

On the side note-WE NEED AN ACTIVE GM!!!! Much like Kal. We need someone to actually give us something to react to-government is 98% responding to events. How do we know what policy to enact if we don't know the unemployment race?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »

Dude calm down.

I myself hate the McCarthyist atmosphere on the forum that is BAN FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER (which is why I much prefer OTHER ATLAS now days), but I don't approve of putting the shoe on the other foot here.  What needs to happen is that the dictatorial mods need to be neutered of any real powers, which would go a long way in changing the fascist mentality of posters who are trigger happy with the sock accusations.  Otherwise, an idiot says something idiotic about you?  Well deal with it, the world is full of them.

No, I'm calm. Just a little upset, that's all. That'll happen when you're completely above board and someone says you're obviously a sock seemingly just because they don't like you. It's stupid.

I agree that it's putting the shoe on the other foot, yes. But I'm not saying it should be a ban for doing it, or that there are no checks and balances. In fact, if I was in the Senate and a bill like this came through, I'd probably spend some time campaigning for adding checks and balances as opposed to immediately supporting it.

But I think it's better to err on the side of civility. I mean, if I wrote an article for a newspaper saying that, I don't know, Jeb Bush stole money from UNICEF, I'd be sued for libel. (Are there libel laws on the books here already?)

This crap is silly. I'm going to stick around, and try to help make it less silly, but man, I can see why activity is low.

Bro, it's just a game. You can't sue someone for Libel on Atlasia

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, he had three new players all from the same city who all voted the same way in an election. The mods shouldn't have banned him that quickly, but it was hardly shaky evidence now was it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »

One of the biggest problems is that policy wise there's nothing left to do. We've solved Israel, legalized about everything, got about 10 different healthcare systems, 100 different grant systems. Tbh there's potenial for a Tea Party type considering how liberal we are.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »

Bro, it's just a game. You can't sue someone for Libel on Atlasia

My point was that having laws in Atlasia against sock-accusing wouldn't be too far-fetched.

Yeah it is too far fetched in my view to ban freedom of expression
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 04:08:43 PM »

The ideological disconnect between Atlasia and the real world has become too large. This is part of the problem. My views are that of a mainstream, establishment Republican, which will constitute the views of like 20% of the new posters who come here in the run up to 2016. Additionally, another 20% of these new posters will be solidly to the right of me on the spectrum.

My views are unelectable and inapplicable to this game, now. The game hasn't been accurately moderated to make my political views applicable. That's not the fault of any particular Game Moderator, but the GM as an institution. The general attitude toward economic and social simulation has been "Don't rock the boat." The two GMs off the top of my head that did accurately portray at least once aspect of Atlasia were Simfan(the economic) and Kalwejt(the social).

Simfan basically said that our economy was exploding because we were literally becoming the Soviet Union as a result of the dozens of TNF bills. The insane tax rates, the regulations, the laws, etc. that would turn our economy into a basket case didn't until Simfan corrected the numbers, albeit in a radical way. An accurate portrayal of the economic situation would have been a huge boon for the Right. It would have made our political views viable in elections, because we have an answer. He was run out of office.

Kalwejt accurately predicted the huge social upheaval that would exist in Atlasia. Legal polygamy, incest, mass drug decriminalization, the incredible rancor of our political conversation, the dramatic reduction in police forces, etc. would have resulted in chaos. This should have been happening all along. An accurate portrayal of the cops getting run over by protestors or rioters, of families in the West and South arming up to await the Second Coming or going to shoot the protestors, all of this should have been happening all along.

All societies, yes I consider our little community a society, require mediating institutions to function. The primary ones in Atlasia are the parties, the GM, and the regions. These three things are supposed to tether Atlasia to some semblance of reality while also making it an attractive escape from that same reality. It's supposed to be organic and flexible. Those institutions, however, have failed.

The GM has been in decay for a very long time. It's completely failed to tether our game to reality and maintain that healthy balance. The party system has been unable to maintain activity and to adapt to the distorted alternate reality we've created. Conservatives, even a nice moderate center-right type, cannot win in Atlasia. Why participate in the Federalist Party?Both of these factors have trickled down to the regions, destroying regional activity.

With the decline of our game's fundamental infrastructure, we are shutting ourselves to new waves of members and lively elections. When I ran for President, I said the solution to our activity problem wasn't the redistribution of existing activity, but the creation of new activity. I stand by the belief that redistribution isn't going to work. But I no longer believe the creation of new activity is possible given our present circumstances.

I'm on board with major, significant amount of structural reform. Reboot, parliament, etc., etc. I'm all ears.

Well that's all because the two left wing parties are the largest, and actually organize quite well
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »

Perhaps the right should just be banned?

sounds good to us communist fascists in liebor 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies