Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:08:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1 (search mode)
Thread note

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 210270 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: November 06, 2018, 10:48:26 PM »

Kind of an embarrassing way to win the night. There are my two cents.

HOW.

Democrats are winning in KS and OK!

It's almost like you have no conception of the local politics as either. Following the tenure of Mary Fallin, I'm stunned the Oklahoma Governor's race wasn't closer. I had expected both Kansas and Oklahoma to be the two closest races - now neither is close yet in opposite directions. My final "prediction" on this site has these as two of five gubernatorial toss-ups (with South Dakota, Ohio, and Iowa). Winning a single house district is just about the least special thing in the world. It's like a Republican shouting, "we're winning in New York" - except they have better reason to shout that about their own governorships in New Hampshire and Massachusetts and Maryland and maybe even Connecticut.

I literally cannot believe you are more than an overeager high schooler with how much you are moving the measuring stick just to remain excited about unequivocally negative result.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 08:07:29 AM »

5 picks: Florida, Indiana, Missouri, Montana, Arizona and 55-45 majority. Great morning.

Losing 30+ House seats and getting creamed in the gubernatorial races is great? Be careful not to break your back moving those goalposts.

I hardly think it's the Republicans moving goalposts. Quite the opposite from most people here. Needing just 10 seats to retake the House from a wave year is more than doable. What they did last night was potentially seal the Senate in their favour for years to come. If they would have taken one more, I would go as far as to say that they have the Senate locked up for the next six years. As it stands, the Democrats will have an uphill climb to prevent that power claim.

Those eight plus years are going to be incredibly painful for the activists in this country. Keep dreaming only to be shot down time and time again - and then you're a decade older without seeing any tangible accomplishments for your movement.

I'll take my new courts completely stacked. All eyes on Judiciary for the next two years. Have fun with pointless investigations and stopping gerrymandering if you can.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »

Something to remember: outside of the Atlas/punditsphere, a majority of Americans were expecting Republicans to hold both the House and the Senate.

Huh, I didn't notice that pre-election.  Do you have a source on this? (Genuine asking)

I do, but I'm on my phone right now, and I saw it a couple of weeks ago, so i don't have a quick link to post. I'll post it when I do.

This is basically impossible for me to believe when "Blue Wave" was a completely mainstream meme.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies