BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:40:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14471 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: December 09, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »

But didn't I just have to put up with a year and ahalf of Republicans talking about the evil Democrats defying the will of the "people"?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »

Good on Collins. I won't miss Brown or Snowe.

Also lol @ Kirk. Let a fun self-hating six years begin.

Kirk is off to a wonderful 'moderate' start. Let alone this issue, one of the first things I heard him speak about recently was on MSNBC, where he stated that tax cuts needed to be extended "no matter what" but unemployment benefits should be extended "only if they're completely paid for."

Remember, supporting Kirk was the "responsible thing to do."
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »

It's a win-win for Republicans.  Not so much for Democrats, who have been used to getting their own way for the past 2 years.

Yeah, we've just been getting everything we want without any setbacks for the last two years. It's been wild.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:22:46 AM »

Many members of this forum on both sides of the issue place much greater importance on gay issues than the general public.  In reality, the repeal of DADT ranks very low on most Americans' list of priorities.  Blocking repeal simply doesn't have the negative political effects that many Atlasians think it does.

The amount of time it would take if people really wanted to repeal it would be a matter of days or hours. It's not like repealing DADT takes 6 months of constant work and focus. It's only been this difficult because people refuse to cooperate and make excuses.

I seriously doubt minority rights will ever be very high on "most Americans' list of priorities." It doesn't mean that ignoring such a thing is the right thing to do, especially with such large public support for DADT's repeal.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »

Many members of this forum on both sides of the issue place much greater importance on gay issues than the general public.  In reality, the repeal of DADT ranks very low on most Americans' list of priorities.  Blocking repeal simply doesn't have the negative political effects that many Atlasians think it does.

The amount of time it would take if people really wanted to repeal it would be a matter of days or hours. It's not like repealing DADT takes 6 months of constant work and focus. It's only been this difficult because people refuse to cooperate and make excuses.

I seriously doubt minority rights will ever be very high on "most Americans' list of priorities." It doesn't mean that ignoring such a thing is the right thing to do, especially with such large public support for DADT's repeal.

To my knowledge, a simple repeal of DADT hasn't been introduced in the recent past.  I'm talking a one-issue bill that deals just with 10 U.S.C. § 654.

I suspect Democrats are too scared to introduce it as it's own thing (at least up to this point) for the fear that it will go down even on it's own, basically sealing the deal for it to not pass for the significant future, or that Republicans will complain that there are more pressing matters to deal with, and Democrats get blamed for wasting time.

Even if it was a standalone piece of legislation, as optimistic as I respect you for being, you must know Republicans would still make some sort of excuse to oppose it's repeal. I don't imagine how it would do significantly better as a standalone bill in regard to the Republican vote than it is now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies