BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Senate Republicans block repeal of DADT  (Read 14468 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: December 09, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »

I'm half sad and half happy with this vote.  But yeah, you're right, it's not really all that shocking.

Why does ongoing employment discrimination make you happy? You, of all people, should be sensitive to work issues.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »

I'm half sad and half happy with this vote.  But yeah, you're right, it's not really all that shocking.

Why does ongoing employment discrimination make you happy? You, of all people, should be sensitive to work issues.

It doesn't, but I have both my current Democratic ideology coming out and I also have my Republican upbringing and surroundings both coming into play here.  In my heart, I side with my Democratic friends and we should repeal it.  Mind you, I'm not a fan at all of the GLBT lifestyle, but as Hillary Clinton put it, you don't have to be straight to shoot straight.

Can somebody translate this into a cogent argument? As I read it, it's completely non-sequitor.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »

Here's the thing... you guys are acting like DADT is the only thing in this bill.  It's 849 pages long... if Reid really wants this to pass, he would allow for the Republicans to have some amendments to it.  It's only fair.

Reid wasn't blocking the GOP from adding amendments to the bill.  The issue was over the time allotted for the bill.  The GOP was demanding a ton of time to add amendments and no agreement was made about exactly how much time would be allotted.   Collins did vote for repeal.

One thing to note is it seems the DADT will get a stand alone vote, its something Collins and Lieberman are working on and Reid has said he will support bringing it to the floor and while no timetable is set when a vote will be held, it will be prior to the lame duck session ending.  
Why does the GOP even bother making these lame excuses? It about amendments or budgeting or that I can't do votes on Tuesdays on months with an r in them. It's perfectly obvious where they stand.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »

Here's the thing... you guys are acting like DADT is the only thing in this bill.  It's 849 pages long... if Reid really wants this to pass, he would allow for the Republicans to have some amendments to it.  It's only fair.

Reid wasn't blocking the GOP from adding amendments to the bill.  The issue was over the time allotted for the bill.  The GOP was demanding a ton of time to add amendments and no agreement was made about exactly how much time would be allotted.   Collins did vote for repeal.

One thing to note is it seems the DADT will get a stand alone vote, its something Collins and Lieberman are working on and Reid has said he will support bringing it to the floor and while no timetable is set when a vote will be held, it will be prior to the lame duck session ending.  
Why does the GOP even bother making these lame excuses? It about amendments or budgeting or that I can't do votes on Tuesdays on months with an r in them. It's perfectly obvious where they stand.

In that case, why did Scott Brown vote against invoking cloture, when he has previously said he will support the repeal of DADT?

Because he's a cynical asshat.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »

Couldn't the military separate gays into their own special unit? Women are already mostly separated from men, separate bunks, showers.

Ah, government mandated segregation. Sounds lovely. Viva Plessy.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2010, 09:31:34 PM by memphis »

Memphis, behavior =/= race. Get it? So I suppose you support coed showers and bunking?

Dude, gays are already in the military. Many thousands of them. You're naive beyond belief if you don't know that. They're already in every public place you go and not all go around in feather boas and Lady Gaga teeshirts.  They're already in the showers and any other creepy place you can imagine. All repealing DADT would do would give the military some integrity in allowing people (who are risking their a$$es daily for you) to be honest about who they are.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies