If the Senate ends up 50-50 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:25:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiį, Gracile)
  If the Senate ends up 50-50 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the Senate ends up 50-50  (Read 1840 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: October 02, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »

Lieberman would have nothing to lose from switching, really. A case can be made that he is actually better liked among Republicans then Democrats, plus there is no way he is winning his primary in 2012, after opposing Obama. I'm not sure whether he would go through with it, but it definitely is a possibility.

Per my intuition, it was more of a possibility for Joe to caucus with the GOP before folks like Castle, Simmons, and Campbell were eliminated.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2010, 09:56:51 PM by Torie »

Lieberman would have nothing to lose from switching, really. A case can be made that he is actually better liked among Republicans then Democrats, plus there is no way he is winning his primary in 2012, after opposing Obama. I'm not sure whether he would go through with it, but it definitely is a possibility.

Per my intuition, it was more of a possibility for Joe to caucus with the GOP before folks like Castle, Simmons, and Campbell were eliminated.

Perhaps, but I don't really see why their elimination would make him hesitate to do so, especially if the GOP makes a deal allowing him to keep his beloved chairmanship.

Fewer somewhat congenial to quite congenial (Castle), chaps would be around for Joe to commune with, is the reason. But if Kirk wins, he will have a congenial there, along with the Maine sisters, and Brown, and maybe will get along with Ayotte, so I certainly don't exclude it for that reason, plus the one you mentioned - power.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:33:58 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2010, 10:37:15 PM by Torie »

Lieberman caucuses with the Republicans.

I really don't get the "moderate hero" fascination with Simmons or Campbell.  Neither McMahon nor Fiorina seem like fire-breathing conservatives to me (especially McMahon).  They just had the benefit of being able to self-fund without the burden of having previously held public office in an anti-incumbent cycle.

They were congenial with Joe, both on substance (e.g. pro choice), and style (intellectual).

But yes, Joe has said he quite liked the wrestling queen (and did not exclude the possibility that he might endorse her), but then it is hard to dislike her. She is an interesting character, with a lot of moxie.  She might have been a better candidate against Boxer, than the one we have, come to think of it.  Maybe.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies