Ohio Sen. George Voinovich-the problem with the GOP is the rednecks (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 01:39:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio Sen. George Voinovich-the problem with the GOP is the rednecks (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio Sen. George Voinovich-the problem with the GOP is the rednecks  (Read 2721 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: August 06, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »

As much as I agree, these comments would have more impact if Voinovich weren't about to go from nearly irrelevant to completely irrelevant in eighteen months' time.

He's definitely going to retire into the obscurity of a former Senator.  So you're right, Joe.  But I wish it were different.  A guy who was a successful mayor (credited by some with saving Cleveland), an excellent governor and a thoughtful senator deserves to be considered relevant.  Alas, in our culture, holding office is everything.  Unless you are a former President, being a "former anything else" assigns you to the scrap heap.

I have to think if former Republicans like Howard Baker, Nancy Kassebaum and Alan Simpson had been considered "relevant", their party might not be in the hands of the very mouth-breathers Voinovich is concerned about.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »

He's definitely going to retire into the obscurity of a former Senator.  So you're right, Joe.  But I wish it were different.  A guy who was a successful mayor (credited by some with saving Cleveland), an excellent governor and a thoughtful senator deserves to be considered relevant.  Alas, in our culture, holding office is everything.  Unless you are a former President, being a "former anything else" assigns you to the scrap heap.

Can someone explain to me then why the hell the traditional media give so much of their precious time and space to former nobodies like Liz Cheney and John Bolton?

Because they are not former office holders.  They are continual gasbags.  The media tend to love those.  On the left, think Al Sharpton.  On the right?  Well...you named a couple of lulus right there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies