Skew in state delegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:01:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Skew in state delegations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Skew in state delegations  (Read 1220 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »

A fair map in TN is 6R-3D.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:47:57 PM »

in theory.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 07:52:07 PM »

Actually not. TN is R+14, or in a 50-50 national race the state should split 64% R to 36% D. Studies have shown that for every point that a state swings from 50% the delegation swings by 2%, so that in a 50-50 national race the TN delegation would be expected to be 78% to 22%. With 9 seats that corresponds almost exactly to a 7R - 2D delegation.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:03:03 PM »

Actually not. TN is R+14, or in a 50-50 national race the state should split 64% R to 36% D. Studies have shown that for every point that a state swings from 50% the delegation swings by 2%, so that in a 50-50 national race the TN delegation would be expected to be 78% to 22%. With 9 seats that corresponds almost exactly to a 7R - 2D delegation.
I've seen you say this a lot, can you link me to some of these studies
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:09:32 PM »

I generally use a more different calculation.
I would rather take the 64-34 calculation and don't take the step of adjusting for partisan lean like that. If one is making a fair map, it's better to hew to trying to match the partisan lean as much as is rationally possible. It's possible to do that in TN. Unpack TN-09 while keeping it wholely within Shelby County, make TN-08 a roughly 52% Obama district in the R+4 range (an Obama district in the South generally should be counted as a Democratic district regardless of PVI, especially if it's around 35% black), and then have a Nashville seat. And then boom, success.

TN-08's eastern border can be Weakley, Carroll, Madison, and Hardeman Counties. One can also construct a TN-04 that is -3522, solely out of whole counties.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:25:15 PM »

I would rather take the 64-34 calculation and don't take the step of adjusting for partisan lean like that. If one is making a fair map, it's better to hew to trying to match the partisan lean as much as is rationally possible. It's possible to do that in TN. Unpack TN-09 while keeping it wholely within Shelby County, make TN-08 a roughly 52% Obama district in the R+4 range (an Obama district in the South generally should be counted as a Democratic district regardless of PVI, especially if it's around 35% black), and then have a Nashville seat. And then boom, success.

TN-08's eastern border can be Weakley, Carroll, Madison, and Hardeman Counties. One can also construct a TN-04 that is -3522, solely out of whole counties.
The single-member district system results in an amplified partisan lean within an area (relative to the percent vote). Trying to match the delegation to the percentage vote often results in gross gerrymandering, so I wouldn't do that...besides, even if each state has an amplified partisan lean, they should cancel each other out in the end
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »

The single-member district system results in an amplified partisan lean within an area (relative to the percent vote). Trying to match the delegation to the percentage vote often results in gross gerrymandering, so I wouldn't do that...besides, even if each state has an amplified partisan lean, they should cancel each other out in the end
It wouldn't be rational everywhere. But it should be tried where it doesn't necessarily result in overly messed up districts.
If some gerrymandering happens in the process of getting proportionality, it's fine by me...but counties and cities generally should be kept together when possible regardless.
I'm not in the opinion that gerrymandering itself is inherently evil.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »

It wouldn't be rational everywhere. But it should be tried where it doesn't necessarily result in overly messed up districts.
If some gerrymandering happens in the process of getting proportionality, it's fine by me...but counties and cities generally should be kept together when possible regardless.
You have to go into the core of Memphis to make the 8th competitive. It just wouldn't make sense in relation to the rest of the district.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 08:41:45 PM »

You have to go into the core of Memphis to make the 8th competitive. It just wouldn't make sense in relation to the rest of the district.
I don't see anything really wrong with stowing the downtown core of Memphis in the 8th. It isn't like Shelby County is just enough for one district anyway.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 09:11:50 PM »

If you want strict proportionality you oughta just opt for PR tim.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:30 PM »

I don't need to adopt PR.
It's possible to get rough proportionality in many places (like TN) and I don't think it's all that terrible trying to achieve it, even if one keeps single-member districts.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 04:53:00 AM »

I don't need to adopt PR.
It's possible to get rough proportionality in many places (like TN) and I don't think it's all that terrible trying to achieve it, even if one keeps single-member districts.

Think about it this way. Assume a population of 100 voters in 10 counties, and turnout is 100%. Let's say the state is 60 R and 40 D and the breakdown by county is like this:
A: 8 R 2 D
B: 7 R 3 D
C: 7 R 3 D
D: 6 R 4 D
E: 6 R 4 D
F: 6 R 4 D
G: 6 R 4 D
H: 5 R 5 D
I: 5 R 5 D
J: 4 R 6 D
If I don't worry about connections but group these into 5 districts, the best I can do is 1 Dem district, at that's only by combining J with H or I. 60% vote becomes an 80% delegation. It's likely that a geographic split would result in a 10-10 district at best for the Dems - with the parties reversed this is like the problem the Pubs have in MA.

Suppose one of the counties is a heavily Dem city, and the counties are like this.
A: 7 R 3 D
B: 7 R 3 D
C: 7 R 3 D
D: 7 R 3 D
E: 7 R 3 D
F: 6 R 4 D
G: 6 R 4 D
H: 6 R 4 D
I: 5 R 5 D
J: 2 R 8 D
Here the Dems are guaranteed 1 district, by matching J with any other county, but that's all they can get. Again a 60% vote results in an 80% delegation. This is like the situation in TN if there were only 5 districts and J was Shelby county.

Partitioning a state into single member districts will naturally enhance the advantage of the majority party in the legislature without any gerrymandering. Beyond these simple examples there are a number of academic studies that come to the same conclusion.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 05:12:25 AM »

One recent paper that cites a number of the studies is Gerrymandering or geography? How Democrats won the popular vote but lost the Congress in 2012, N. Goedert (Research and Politics 2014). The particular 2 to 1 effect is well documented in studies, some going back to Tufte in 1973. My metrics of skew and polarization mirror Tufte's goals of plans being unbiased and responsive.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »

One recent paper that cites a number of the studies is Gerrymandering or geography? How Democrats won the popular vote but lost the Congress in 2012, N. Goedert (Research and Politics 2014). The particular 2 to 1 effect is well documented in studies, some going back to Tufte in 1973. My metrics of skew and polarization mirror Tufte's goals of plans being unbiased and responsive.

Can this be explained by statistical modeling, and do the underlying assumptions of the model hold true for all places and all times?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 10:29:16 PM »

Can this be explained by statistical modeling, and do the underlying assumptions of the model hold true for all places and all times?

Some of the studies have done statistical simulations, but I don't know how many of the assumptions have been independently tested.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 04:11:31 AM »

My system works best when applied on nationwide scale, so you can compensate when geography makes it impossible to have proportionality and reasonable districts at the same time.
A good example is Massachusetts. Simple proportionality is impossible in MA while also maintaining reasonable districts.
The solution would be making VA or PA have a more pro-GOP map to compensate.
Et cetera...
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »

My system works best when applied on nationwide scale, so you can compensate when geography makes it impossible to have proportionality and reasonable districts at the same time.
A good example is Massachusetts. Simple proportionality is impossible in MA while also maintaining reasonable districts.
Et cetera...

That's distinctly unfair to the people of the states like PA or VA. Why should they have districts due to the residency and voting patterns of MA? Each state is sovereign and should have a fair map that reflects its own population.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »

Et cetera...

That's distinctly unfair to the people of the states like PA or VA. Why should they have districts due to the residency and voting patterns of MA? Each state is sovereign and should have a fair map that reflects its own population.
Well, this was tailor-made for those cases I drew House district maps for with all 50 states in mind.
It wouldn't be workable to completely copy this method in real life.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »

Et cetera...

Well, this was tailor-made for those cases I drew House district maps for with all 50 states in mind.

But how much weight should one place on partisan fairness? Intentional partisan unfairness should be avoided, but that's different from intentional partisan fairness. IA is often cited as the gold standard for neutral redistricting at the congressional and state levels, but the mappers are barred from using any election data. AZ has a neutral commission, but faced all sorts of issues this cycle because they selected certain data sets in an attempt to create nominally fair and competitive districts.

The central issue I see is that voting patterns change with time. An attempt to be fair in 2011 may not result in the appearance of fairness in 2017. I demonstrated that with my remap of the WI legislative districts last year. The same plan that looked like a pro-Dem map after 2008 (when it would have been drawn) looked like a pro-Pub map after 2016 due to the shift in rural WI voters.

Checking for unnecessary partisan skew or polarization I think should be done. I don't draw my plans while looking at the PVI's, but I do check the partisan results afterwards. I know attempts to lock in fairness will often fail beyond the first election. They even could backfire depending on the shifts in the electorate.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:01:01 AM by Punxsutawney Phil »

Et cetera...

But how much weight should one place on partisan fairness? Intentional partisan unfairness should be avoided, but that's different from intentional partisan fairness. IA is often cited as the gold standard for neutral redistricting at the congressional and state levels, but the mappers are barred from using any election data. AZ has a neutral commission, but faced all sorts of issues this cycle because they selected certain data sets in an attempt to create nominally fair and competitive districts.

The central issue I see is that voting patterns change with time. An attempt to be fair in 2011 may not result in the appearance of fairness in 2017. I demonstrated that with my remap of the WI legislative districts last year. The same plan that looked like a pro-Dem map after 2008 (when it would have been drawn) looked like a pro-Pub map after 2016 due to the shift in rural WI voters.

Checking for unnecessary partisan skew or polarization I think should be done. I don't draw my plans while looking at the PVI's, but I do check the partisan results afterwards. I know attempts to lock in fairness will often fail beyond the first election. They even could backfire depending on the shifts in the electorate.
I suppose one could alter the formula to inject swing districts into the equation, when that is called for. In the case of WI, for instance, one could have 3D, 3R, and 2 swing.
The biggest trouble probably comes when determining whether a district is Democratic or Republican (especially in areas with higher-than-expected split-ticket voting). Let's take NY-24 in Upstate NY, for example. It has been Democratic leaning on presidential level in every election this century, yet it elected Democrats only twice out of nine times during that time period. Democratic seat or Republican seat?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »

Et cetera...

I suppose one could alter the formula to inject swing districts into the equation, when that is called for. In the case of WI, for instance, one could have 3D, 3R, and 2 swing.

My skew and polarization formulas do treat swing districts differently.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »

Et cetera...

How do you define a swing district under your system?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:40:56 AM by muon2 »

Et cetera...

How do you define a swing district under your system?

These next two items will deal with the political measures for a plan. Under Item 3, they will only be used to guide the commission when they consider final plans, and can't be used to eliminate plans prior to the end of the submission period. First I will provide some definitions.

Definition: PVI. The Partisan Voting Index is based on the method developed by the Cook Political Report and widely used in assessing the political tendencies of congressional districts. It compares the Democratic share of the two-party vote in a state or a district to the Democratic share of the national presidential vote, averaged over the last two presidential elections. Shares are multiplied by 100 to get a percent, and expressed as D+x when positive and R+(-x) when negative.

Definitions: A highly competitive district has a PVI of 0 or 1 (-0.014 to +0.014) and statistically such districts have an even chance of being one by either district. A competitive district has a PVI of 2 through 5 (-0.054 to -0.015 and +0.015 to 0.054) and statistically such districts have an 3 out of 4 chance of being held by the favored party. An uncompetitive district has a PVI of 6 or greater for either party and has better than a 9 in 10 chance of being held by the favored party. This is based on congressional results during the preceding decade.

Definition: The expected delegation from a state with a known PVI is equal to 50%+2*PVI, so for example a D+5 state would be expected to have a delegation of 60% Democrats. Studies (e.g. Goeddert 2014) show that for every 1% shift in the national vote share there is an average shift by 2% in the number of congressional seats. Extending that to individual states, one can predict that in a 50-50 national election, a state delegation should have a Democratic fraction equal to 50% + 2*(state PVI). The percent difference between the Democratic and Republican fractions is then 4*(state PVI). The expected delegation difference between the Democratic delegation size and the Republican delegation size should be 4*(state PVI/100)*(size of the delegation), where the division by 100 is to remove the percent.

Item 4: SKEW measures the partisan fairness of a plan. Count 0 for each highly competitive district, +1 for each competitive or uncompetitive Democratic district, and -1 for each competitive or uncompetitive Republican district. Take the total for all districts in the state and subtract the expected delegation difference. Express a negative number as a positive number in favor of the Republicans. That positive number is the SKEW score, and lower numbers are closer to the ideal partisan fairness.

Item 5: POLARIZATION measures the competitiveness of a plan. Count 0 for each highly competitive district, 1 for each competitive district, and 2 for each uncompetitive district in a plan. The total for the whole state is the POLARIZATION score, and lower numbers indicate greater competitiveness.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies