Ohio Recount is over and gues what, Bush still wins by over 118,000 votes!! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:19:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ohio Recount is over and gues what, Bush still wins by over 118,000 votes!! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio Recount is over and gues what, Bush still wins by over 118,000 votes!!  (Read 9311 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: December 29, 2004, 04:25:17 PM »

JJ,

First, there have historically been a few shenanigans by Republicans in the vote counting process in the past (Pennsylvania and Eastern Tennessee were hotbeds of this a couple of generations ago).

Second, while it is true the vote shennanigans over recent years have primarily been by some Democrats, those persons are an exception, and are roundly condemned by responsible Democrats.

Third, I really don't know if there is a sufficently low level of hell for people like Dean Logan.

Fourth, I have seen nothing over the past few weeks about a recount of statewide magnitude in Alabama.  The vote on the proposition was recounted a few weeks ago.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 02:18:32 AM »

There are a number of established means of looking at returns to see if there is reasonable grounds for a recount.

First, to answer your rephrased question, I don't know who "they" are, so I am unable to answer that specific question.  However, most states have in their statute governing the election process when a recount may and when it should be held.  Moreover, it is quite rare for a recount to change the results in an elections, so it is rarely requested.

Second, there are several statistical methodologies which would indicate something which appears incongrous (such as the example you cite).

Interestingly, if you check the internet you will see that before the general election, Dean Logan was on record as stating that machine recounts were more accurate than hand counts.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 03:10:53 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2004, 10:34:07 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

First, sorry, the thread deals with Ohio, but the discussion has wandered all over the place.  I cited Dean Logan because he is an election official who was on record as favoring machine recounts as more accurate before he needed to ;find' votes for his preferred candidate.

Second, was the example you cited of the state legislator seeking a recount one from Alabama?  If not, then it seems that your critique of my citation of Dean Logan is a little er inapropos.

Thirdly, statistical analysis does NOT prove that there is an incorrect vote count, BUT sophisticaded statistical analysis will indicate a probability of an error in the vote count (as in the example you cited).

Basically, as I understood your previous question, it was when a vote recount should be requested (i.e. is NOT legally manditory, but is legally acceptable).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies