2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar, November 21-December 18 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:38:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar, November 21-December 18 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar, November 21-December 18  (Read 14835 times)
Helsinkian
Finland

« on: November 19, 2022, 03:19:15 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/18/football/qatar-world-cup-beer-stadium-spt-intl/index.html

Doha, Qatar
CNN
 —
Just two days before the World Cup kicks off in Qatar, soccer’s world governing body FIFA confirmed that no alcohol will be sold at the eight stadiums which will host the tournament’s 64 matches.

“Following discussions between host country authorities and FIFA, a decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the FIFA Fan Festival, other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing sales points of beer from Qatar’s FIFA World Cup 2022 stadium perimeter,” said the FIFA statement.

😍 Inspiring to see a pious Muslim nation standing up to Budweiser and FIFA.

You can still get alcohol in the stadiums if you pay $19,000 for a VIP ticket. I guess it isn't a sin if you're rich enough.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 04:22:24 PM »

England: beat a top-20 ranked team 6-2.
USA: draws with a team who haven't qualified for the World Cup since 1950s.

Wales is currently 19th in the Fifa Ranking.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 10:22:08 AM »

Déjà-vu: Ghana again fails in a penalty against Uruguay.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 06:40:55 AM »

I extend my congratulations to Argentinia. Usually I don't watch much soccer, but had a chance this time around. I'm just glad I didn't prefer a team, so it was less nervous after this specific match. For sure one of the most interesting ones I've ever seen.

That said, I don't really like deciding matches by penalty shots. Always feels that the result more depends on luck than anything else.

Do you know how draws were decided prior to the (German) invention of penalty shootouts?

PS: The winning country is called Argentina in English.

No idea at international level, but at anyrate in English club football, the match would have to be replayed at a later date

I think penalty shootouts, while not ideal, are still better than a replay or a draw (as in winner gets picked randomly)

There was one replay, and if that replay also ended in a draw, the team that advanced was chosen by lot (for example by flipping a coin).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies