Geneology (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:05:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Geneology (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Geneology  (Read 1450 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: January 27, 2008, 12:58:19 PM »

My family is a product of Post-War economic migration, so I'll have to break this up into four rather than two:

Taid's side: lived in northern Meirionnydd for a very, very, very long time. The surname (which dates from the late 18th century) is a bit of a puzzle though. The assumption has always been that it was adopted during the whole revivalist thing; but it was long enough ago as to be hard to know.

Grandad's side: his family was the product of economic migration of an earlier century. One side of the family (where his family's unusual surname came from) lived in County Durham for a very long time, one side moved up from Merthyr at some point (though where they were from in turn I don't know). But I know very little about his Grandmother and nothing about her family; indications are that she was an immigrant (possibily second generation) but no idea where from.

Nan's side: appear to have lived in and around Bristol and Gloucestershire in general (including some in the Forest of Dean) for quite a while, before moving to Monmouthshire. Another family with an odd name; my Nan remembers people telling her that it was probably French (which she found hard to believe).

Grandma's side: her father's family was from Northants (I know for a fact that her, um, great-great (another great needed? can't remember) was a pauper who lived in a rural area a few miles from Daventry, though some came from Dorset also IIRC. Her mother's family were mostly from Leicestershire (I think a few from Notts. and Kent as well?) and some were, if you go back far enough, Huguenots.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies