The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:24:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 172564 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: December 07, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »

Also, O'Rourke's only hesitation is not wanting to spend so much more time away from his family:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, Beto is obviously running.

Yes, because this is his chance. He may never get a better chance than now.

The interesting part about Beto is that people are actually asking him to run rather than him announcing. Its clear that Harris Gillibrand and Booker have always marked interest. They have a base of supporters but those supporters aren't die hard and don't care that much. The enthusiastic support he gets should help in Iowa.
Btw does anyone have Beto's numbers on African Americans in Texas?
Jon Tester
Rookie

« Reply #501 on: December 07, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »

IMO: The three frontrunners right now are:
Biden
Harris
Beto

Sherrod seems to be picking up name recognition though.
Joey1996

« Reply #502 on: December 07, 2018, 07:39:47 PM »

Pretty hilarious article about Eric Swalwell

https://splinternews.com/thirsty-forgettable-congressman-willing-to-hop-on-pret-1830934772
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #503 on: December 07, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »

Biden
Harris
Beto

Pretty much, though Bernie's polling is generally comparable to Harris'.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #504 on: December 08, 2018, 12:27:13 AM »

CNN talks about the staffing prep by several of the campaigns-in-waiting:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/06/politics/democrats-2020-gear-up-behind-the-scenes/index.html

In other news, The Intercept has an interview with Sherrod Brown, and here are his 2020 comments:

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/06/is-this-the-democrat-who-can-beat-trump-in-the-rust-belt-in-2020/

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #505 on: December 08, 2018, 02:44:22 AM »

Also, O'Rourke's only hesitation is not wanting to spend so much more time away from his family:

The interesting part about Beto is that people are actually asking him to run rather than him announcing. Its clear that Harris Gillibrand and Booker have always marked interest. They have a base of supporters but those supporters aren't die hard and don't care that much. The enthusiastic support he gets should help in Iowa.

Citation needed.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #506 on: December 08, 2018, 06:23:49 AM »

Biden
Harris
Beto

Current polling doesn't suggest Harris a frontrunner. I have a feeling she'll be the Democratic Scott Walker.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #507 on: December 08, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »

Citation needed.

Even if you are a huge fan of any of them, it's not debatable that nobody gets excited for Booker, Harris, or Gillibrand nearly as much as O'Rourke.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #508 on: December 08, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »

Current polling doesn't suggest Harris a frontrunner. I have a feeling she'll be the Democratic Scott Walker.

Yeah, on paper (i.e. demographically) she should be a really strong candidate. But for a Senator from California (which should be enough to get her a few % in the national polls) she is not polling well so far. Of course, the campaign hasn't even started, so she has some time. But she is not going to start out as a front runner. She will have to earn it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #509 on: December 08, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »

Sanders was on Colbert this week, and at about the 3:10 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEIZEP5Ptw

Colbert asks him about 2020, and he gives a non-answer.

Booker’s in New Hampshire today, and said this about 2020:

http://ktar.com/story/2346086/booker-trip-to-new-hampshire-possible-preview-for-2020/

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #510 on: December 08, 2018, 09:01:30 PM »

NYT on Booker's NH travel.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #511 on: December 08, 2018, 11:57:38 PM »

Biden
Harris
Beto

She'll probably end up being the Running-mate of either of the other two.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #512 on: December 09, 2018, 01:18:00 AM »

Apparently there’s no momentum in the Oregon legislature for the bill that would make it legal for Merkley to run for president and Senate simultaneously, and Merkley says he’s fine with that:

https://twitter.com/JeffMerkley/status/1071207393965498368

Of course, because of Oregon’s late primary, it would still be possible for Merkley to run in the early presidential primaries, and then, if he doesn’t make it into the top tier, drop out of the race and run for reelection for Senate instead.

In other news, Warren’s latest comments on 2020:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2018/12/08/sen-elizabeth-warren-wont-reveal-2020-plans/

From a story about the fundraising for Inslee’s PAC:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/gov-jay-inslees-new-pac-raises-112000-as-he-actively-considers-presidential-run/

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #513 on: December 09, 2018, 03:28:29 AM »

Apparently there’s no momentum in the Oregon legislature for the bill that would make it legal for Merkley to run for president and Senate simultaneously, and Merkley says he’s fine with that:

https://twitter.com/JeffMerkley/status/1071207393965498368

Of course, because of Oregon’s late primary, it would still be possible for Merkley to run in the early presidential primaries, and then, if he doesn’t make it into the top tier, drop out of the race and run for reelection for Senate instead.

I wonder, is this because Merkley isn’t that popular in the legislature - or ambitious Oregon Democrats want to force him out of the Senate race so they themselves can run?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #514 on: December 09, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »

Long NYT on Beto.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #515 on: December 09, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »

I still think Biden sounds like someone who is, more likely than not, going to pass on another presidential run.  He talks about wanting to stay “engaged” in public life, but also says that he wants to spend as much time as he can with his family in his remaining years.  He could “stay engaged” without actually running for president.  Anyway, here are the latest quotes:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/09/joe-biden-2020-vermont-bernie-sanders-1054071

Some relevant excerpts:

In other news, Chris Murphy not closing the door:

And finally, O’Malley hasn’t been making much noise since the midterms.  But he does a ~20 minute long interview (over Skype from his home) here:

https://freespeech.org/stories/the-jeff-santos-show-episode-10/

He still sounds very much like he’s in “candidate” mode.  I still have to think he’s going to run, despite keeping a lower profile than most of the rest of the field.  What else is he going to do with his life if not run for president?  If he didn't want to run for president again, then why bother doing interviews like this?  Why not just leave the spotlight and go sit on some corporate board?  Maybe he’ll just run a Jim Gilmore-esque campaign, where he runs for president while rarely leaving his living room, since his campaign has no $.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #516 on: December 09, 2018, 08:38:40 PM »

Citation needed.

Even if you are a huge fan of any of them, it's not debatable that nobody gets excited for Booker, Harris, or Gillibrand nearly as much as O'Rourke.

Okay. Citation needed since you didn't give me one. Nobody is a strong word.

Yeah, on paper (i.e. demographically) she should be a really strong candidate. But for a Senator from California (which should be enough to get her a few % in the national polls) she is not polling well so far. Of course, the campaign hasn't even started, so she has some time. But she is not going to start out as a front runner. She will have to earn it.

The race hasn't started yet and she still doesn't have name recognition that matches Beto's hype. Once she and everyone announces, that will change and her polling numbers will rise. Y'alls hope that she is the next Scott Walker is pretty obviously wishful thinking since she is a formidable opponent to the sacred cow that is Beto. Weren't most of you making fun of Republicans for slamming Beto and accused them of doing so out of fear because they know he'd beat Trump? Well the growing Beto Bro dismissal of Kamala sure looks similar.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #517 on: December 09, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »

The race hasn't started yet and she still doesn't have name recognition that matches Beto's hype. Once she and everyone announces, that will change and her polling numbers will rise. Y'alls hope that she is the next Scott Walker is pretty obviously wishful thinking since she is a formidable opponent to the sacred cow that is Beto. Weren't most of you making fun of Republicans for slamming Beto and accused them of doing so out of fear because they know he'd beat Trump? Well the growing Beto Bro dismissal of Kamala sure looks similar.

For the record, I have no particular problem with Harris at the moment. The only thing I don't particularly like about her is that she is the shortest candidate (only 5 feet 2 inches tall), and that is a minor and pretty negligible electability concern.

My statements with regards to Beto are no more and no less than statements of fact - he will be the nominee.

They are not statements of support, per se (and also are not statements of opposition). I might vote for Beto, but I very well might vote for someone else in the primary.

Regardless, who I support and vote for is all but immaterial to the fact that Beto is the nominee - my single vote won't make a difference amidst the sea of mass Betomania.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #518 on: December 09, 2018, 09:28:25 PM »

Kamala Harris underrated. She's more personable than people give her credit for. Obviously not Beto level, but I think she gives a pretty good stump speech. I hope she's on the ticket.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #519 on: December 09, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2018, 08:45:20 AM by Sherrod Brown Shill »

Citation needed.

(I messed up the formatting, this is what I said)
Obviously I'm using hyperbole, but fine I'll take the bait. How about the fact that in the Harvard-Harris poll O'Rourke is polling 3/4, only behind people with way more name recognition, despite getting well known on the political scene only a couple months ago?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #520 on: December 09, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »

Citation needed.

Obviously I'm using hyperbole, but fine I'll take the bait. How about the fact that in the Harvard-Harris poll O'Rourke is polling 3/4, only behind people with way more name recognition, despite getting well known on the political scene only a couple months ago?
Nobody is a bit harsh but from talking with my dem friends it seems like the senator dems (besides bernie who is a bit weirder) all have the same profile of being relatively interchangeable people who live in safe blue state that will never vOTE anything trump supports(even non controversial stuff) despite all being relatively moderate earlier in their life. All these candidates are similar and besides us junkies no one notices a difference. Beto may have a similar vibe with the moderate part but a lot of people ik respect his suicide run.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #521 on: December 10, 2018, 01:42:52 AM »

Citation needed.

A poll in December 2018 for primaries that won't start till January 2020? Yeah, I'll pass on buying those. And Beto made waves for himself in the Senate race, doesn't translate to him beating every one else easily in 2020.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:13 AM »

Citation needed.

A poll in December 2018 for primaries that won't start till January 2020? Yeah, I'll pass on buying those. And Beto made waves for himself in the Senate race, doesn't translate to him beating every one else easily in 2020.

That is not what we are talking about! You wanted a citation on there being more energy diehard supporters around Beto O'Rourke compared to Booker/Harris/Gillibrand. The fact that a failed Senate candidate is polling higher then the three people in question, despite them being constantly in the news the past 2 years, shows that not a whole lot of people get energized about them.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #523 on: December 10, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »

Citation needed.

That is not what we are talking about! You wanted a citation on there being more energy diehard supporters around Beto O'Rourke compared to Booker/Harris/Gillibrand. The fact that a failed Senate candidate is polling higher then the three people in question, despite them being constantly in the news the past 2 years, shows that not a whole lot of people get energized about them.

Lol, talking about being in the news, Beto had all the media attention he could ever want. They obsessed over him, and MSNBC basically endorsed him with the clearly biased coverage in his favor.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #524 on: December 10, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »

move your argument to the Betomania thread.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/420447-sen-murphy-on-2020-im-going-to-make-sure-we-get-a-candidate-who-is

Chris Murphy non-answer
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies