The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:14:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 172673 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: November 23, 2018, 04:13:31 AM »

Let me make it clear, Trump’s 2020 opponent will win if she can fit in a clear contrast with him, esp. visually, that is a female, young, policy-oriented, with government/service experience, eloquent, with a low pitch voice.

Find someone with these features, and stop enlisting dumb old white males.

Gabbard probably fits those categories she's visually appealing and has a nice soothing voice plus the military background. But she has a huge amount of baggage but so did Trump so who knows.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #351 on: November 23, 2018, 04:48:08 AM »

If anybody needed anymore confirmation that Sherrod Brown really is a straight forward and honest guy, here ya go.

In the end I figure he won't go for it, but he's not gonna play the stereotypical politician and deny he's thinking about it.

He literally waited until one day after he's reelected. Do you really think the thought of running for President just appeared in his head right then? Tongue No, he's a politician too, and he was thinking about it long before the midterms but didn't want to hurt his reelection chances (which was smart). This is just him building his brand.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #352 on: November 23, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2018, 12:03:50 PM by Sherrod Brown Shill »

If anybody needed anymore confirmation that Sherrod Brown really is a straight forward and honest guy, here ya go.

In the end I figure he won't go for it, but he's not gonna play the stereotypical politician and deny he's thinking about it.

He literally waited until one day after he's reelected. Do you really think the thought of running for President just appeared in his head right then? Tongue No, he's a politician too, and he was thinking about it long before the midterms but didn't want to hurt his reelection chances (which was smart). This is just him building his brand.

I'm just saying is that he is being much more open about it right now then other candidates who are obviously way more interested in running then Brown is.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #353 on: November 23, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »

A New Hampshire-centric story about all the New Englanders considering a run for the Democratic nomination: Sanders, Warren, Patrick, Moulton, and Kerry:

https://www.mrt.com/news/politics/article/Neighbors-wage-shadow-campaigns-in-New-Hampshire-13404082.php

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, “a senior aide” says a Sanders decision is coming very soon, probably before Christmas….though if Sanders goes ahead, he won't actually announce said decision before New Year’s.  Warren also not planning to announce anything within the next few weeks:

And more about the candidates playing in NH here:

https://www.concordmonitor.com/recounts-2020-booker-New-Hampshire-politics-21687164

They mention Booker’s upcoming NH trip, and I guess Steyer is also heading back to the state in January.

Casey has no timetable for making a decision on a run for president:

https://whyy.org/articles/casey-for-president-u-s-senator-from-pa-says-it-could-happen/

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #354 on: November 23, 2018, 08:24:47 PM »

I think a lot of the media and Dem politicians learned the wrong lesson from 2016 and think that a white man will have it easier than another woman. Hillary didn't lose because she is a woman but because she generated little excitement in the base, was toxic to independents and ran one of the most arrogant and lazy campaigns I've ever seen from a Dem presidential candidate. Another woman won't have those issues.

I agree with your post in regards to how another woman wouldn't necessarily be a repeat of Clinton's loss from 2016. But I disagree that her campaign was lazy or arrogant. It was done in by a perfect storm of factors, ones mostly beyond her control. Lessons should still be learned from it, of course.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #355 on: November 24, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »

I think a lot of the media and Dem politicians learned the wrong lesson from 2016 and think that a white man will have it easier than another woman. Hillary didn't lose because she is a woman but because she generated little excitement in the base, was toxic to independents and ran one of the most arrogant and lazy campaigns I've ever seen from a Dem presidential candidate. Another woman won't have those issues.

I agree with your post in regards to how another woman wouldn't necessarily be a repeat of Clinton's loss from 2016. But I disagree that her campaign was lazy or arrogant. It was done in by a perfect storm of factors, ones mostly beyond her control. Lessons should still be learned from it, of course.

Agreed. There were about 10 different factors of why HRC lost. Some were in her control, some out of it. I *will* say though, I don't think her campaign got lazy or arrogant, per say, but I remember thinking it was really annoying how Trump would do like 3 rallies a day and be everywhere, and she'd only do like 1. The next candidate really needs to be on their grind, Beto-style, non-stop for every single vote, and take nothing for granted anywhere. It's clear, unfortunately, that they took Wisconsin and Michigan for granted.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #356 on: November 24, 2018, 08:10:47 AM »

What is the likelihood of recent reports that Sanders will run again? I just pray to god not.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #357 on: November 24, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »

A new early primary state hire this week by Garcetti's PAC:

https://lasentinel.net/after-midterms-democratic-hopefuls-eye-early-voting-states.html

That story also says that both Garcetti and Booker "are expected to return to South Carolina in the coming weeks".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #358 on: November 24, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »

New story about Klobuchar:

http://www.startribune.com/fresh-from-big-minnesota-win-amy-klobuchar-swept-up-in-presidential-speculation/501184021/

She has apparently talked to Walter Mondale about it though, and he urged her to run:

Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #359 on: November 25, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »

New story about Klobuchar:

http://www.startribune.com/fresh-from-big-minnesota-win-amy-klobuchar-swept-up-in-presidential-speculation/501184021/

She has apparently talked to Walter Mondale about it though, and he urged her to run:

She's said she's thinking about it on ABC's This Week today (which is no surprise to those of us who have followed her for years):

"Right now, I am just still thinking about this, talking to people. I'm sorry to say I have no announcement for you on your show," she told ABC's George Stephanopoulos during an appearance on ABC's "This Week."

"People are talking to me about this, I think in part because I've worked really hard to go not just where it's comfortable, but where it's uncomfortable and did well in a number of those places where Donald Trump won," she said

"I'm also someone, for those that are exhausted with politics, that likes to get stuff done," she added.

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/418115-klobuchar-says-she-is-still-considering-2020-run?amp
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #360 on: November 25, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »

Sanders isn’t preparing for 2020 with the same speed as some of the other candidates:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/11/can-bernie-sanders-beat-donald-trump-2020-race/576331/

Interestingly, the story also notes that Ro Khanna, who has himself visited NH as recently as last month, is someone who has urged Sanders to run again:

In other news, like Klobuchar, Brown and Kasich were also on This Week this morning, and were also asked about 2020:

https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20181125/buckeye-flavor-to-2020-presidential-tire-kicking

Steyer was on Meet the Press, and was asked the same question:

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/418135-steyer-says-hes-undecided-on-running-in-2020

Booker also says he’s still thinking about it…or rather that he’ll start thinking about it in earnest over the Christmas season, once the lame duck session is over:

https://www.nj.com/expo/news/erry-2018/11/81c7c2ae782080/cory-booker-says-i-will-consid.html

Flyersfan232

« Reply #361 on: November 25, 2018, 02:13:46 PM »

prohibition party is going swept the governors and congress and the white house races.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #362 on: November 25, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »

O'Malley was jetting around the country campaigning for Dems before the midterms....and he's still going.  In Mississippi this weekend, campaigning for Espy:

I guess at some point, he is going to run out of races to campaign in, and it'll be time to launch his own presidential campaign?  Otherwise, what is he going to do with his weekends?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #363 on: November 25, 2018, 06:56:51 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/11/25/john-kasich-2020/2108618002/

This might be me speculating, but could Kasich have already made up his mind to run, and he's just being coy here?
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #364 on: November 25, 2018, 08:28:49 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/11/25/john-kasich-2020/2108618002/

This might be me speculating, but could Kasich have already made up his mind to run, and he's just being coy here?

Kasich literally said he was not being coy in the interview lol.

But maybe...
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #365 on: November 25, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »

Kasich literally said he was not being coy in the interview lol.

But maybe...

Honestly I think he's been planning to run as an independent in 2020 since March or April of 2016, on the sole condition that Trump won.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #366 on: November 25, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »

Long NY Mag on Sanders.
Joey1996

« Reply #367 on: November 25, 2018, 09:51:48 PM »

Somewhat surprised we haven't gotten more fringe candidacies declared yet
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #368 on: November 26, 2018, 01:28:38 AM »

New story about the early state jockeying here:

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article221978055.html

E.g.:

In other news...

Many interesting tidbits there.  Including this recap of Sanders’s meeting with his inner circle at the beginning of the year:

But Sanders isn’t totally happy about being a household name:

Sanders may be influenced by Warren’s decision, but don’t expect a summit between them anytime soon:

My assumption is that many of these "I'm thinking about it" candidates have already decided to run, but just don't think it makes sense to declare before Christmas.  So they're waiting.

I don't know if Kasich is in that category though.  He might be.  But running against an incumbent for the nomination (or going 3rd party) is a bigger lift than running in an open nomination, so I wouldn't automatically assume he's made up his mind.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #369 on: November 26, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »

When should we expect people to start announcing? After the new year? Crazy that the first Dem debate is, what, only 8-9 months away?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #370 on: November 26, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »

When should we expect people to start announcing? After the new year? Crazy that the first Dem debate is, what, only 8-9 months away?

January or February, I guess. The first debate in June or July. Though I can't wait for the campaign to start, this is way too early.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #371 on: November 26, 2018, 04:41:41 PM »

N U T
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #372 on: November 26, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »

The Hill - Bernie Sanders: "I will probably run in 2020 if I'm the best candidate to beat Trump"

AKA - he's in.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/418224-bernie-sanders-i-will-run-in-2020-if-it-turns-out-im-the-best-candidate-to?fbclid=IwAR19uLvEhrgkObprZ3fQhOJ9MNI7wtzgVA-ac8phP30rwaaz7I4w8T_I8kA
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #373 on: November 26, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »

I disagree. He says he won't run if there's someone better. He's smart enough to know 2020 will be vastly more difficult, especially since someone like Beto could completely take his younger base.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #374 on: November 26, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »

Bros Save America host Dan Pfeiffer wrote the case for Beto 2020. It should be mentioned Crooked Media commissioned a documentary of Beto during his Senate run.

https://crooked.com/articles/beto-president-2020/

I think he does make a good point that this is Beto’s moment. Not that he’d win if he were to run but that if he’s going to run for president it really seems like now would be his best time to do it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies