Which House seats will the Dems focus on in 2020 that they aren't really in '18?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:37:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which House seats will the Dems focus on in 2020 that they aren't really in '18?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which House seats will the Dems focus on in 2020 that they aren't really in '18?  (Read 430 times)
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
« edited: July 11, 2018, 09:12:51 PM by westroopnerd »

Talking about House elections a cycle in advance is a bit unusual, with good reason: we don't even know the composition of the chamber for next year! We can make good guesses, though, as to which seats the Dems aren't seriously contesting this year but that they will in 2020.

CA-21: This is the big one. I've been saying for a while that unseating Valadao is tough, but certainly doable with a few conditions:

1. Presidential level turnout (aka 2020)
2. A strong candidate (preferably Hispanic, with ties to the district) that runs a strong campaign (I think Rudy Salas is the Dems' best bet there)
3. A favorable national environment

With all that in mind, 2020 may be the Dems' best shot at unseating Valadao in quite a while (he's at the point where he's either entrenched or very close to being entrenched) so I'd be surprised if they didn't put a lot into ousting him.

NY-24:  Stephanie Miner for not running for this seat and instead making a ridiculous bid for Governor. Dana Balter isn't an awful candidate but I have my doubts she can take down a strong incumbent like Katko. Hopefully Dem recruiting is better in 2020, in which case this becomes a highly vulnerable seat.

NY-02: Peter King has been around forever, and he's certainly quite entrenched. He's not getting any younger, however, and I'm honestly surprised he didn't pull a LoBiondo and retire this year. NY-02 is a bit further to the right than NJ-02, but it's definitely a swing district and with the right candidate the Dems could take it even in a neutral year. I remember there being a strong Van Drew-like candidate in NY-02, probably biding his time for King to retire, although his name escapes me at the moment (edit: Steve Bellone). Either way, the moment King retires, expect this seat to be competitive.

NY-23: Lot of New York districts on this list, and a big part of that is that Dem recruiting in New York seemed sort of weak this year. Mitrano isn't an awful candidate but she doesn't seem like a great fit for the district. Dems might be doing better in 2020.

NV-02: Clint Koble is an underrated candidate who might do well in my pick for the number one sleeper race in 2018, but he's probably not going to win. 2020 might provide a better atmosphere for recruitment and another House wave.

WI-07 and WI-08: Sort of the same story as above. Potential sleeper races, but overall the environment just isn't strong enough for the Dem to win.

Any other ideas? Always good to plan ahead.  Cheesy
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:09:51 PM »

NY-02: Peter King has been around forever, and he's certainly quite entrenched. He's not getting any younger, however, and I'm honestly surprised he didn't pull a LoBiondo and retire this year. NY-02 is a bit further to the right than NJ-02, but it's definitely a swing district and with the right candidate the Dems could take it even in a neutral year. I remember there being a strong Van Drew-like candidate in NY-02, probably biding his time for King to retire, although his name escapes me at the moment. Either way, the moment King retires, expect this seat to be competitive.
Steve Bellone
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »

NY-02: Peter King has been around forever, and he's certainly quite entrenched. He's not getting any younger, however, and I'm honestly surprised he didn't pull a LoBiondo and retire this year. NY-02 is a bit further to the right than NJ-02, but it's definitely a swing district and with the right candidate the Dems could take it even in a neutral year. I remember there being a strong Van Drew-like candidate in NY-02, probably biding his time for King to retire, although his name escapes me at the moment. Either way, the moment King retires, expect this seat to be competitive.
Steve Bellone

That's the one, thanks
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:06:18 PM »

I think Democrats get better recruitment in the Plains States in 2020.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:29:14 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2018, 11:32:24 AM by Tartarus Sauce »

Hopefully OH-10 when Democrats realize that Turner had one of the most paltry fundraising hauls this cycle and can actually be taken out with a top tier recruit. Nan Whaley really dropped the ball deciding not to run here when she quit the govenor’s race. Hopefully both her and Stephanie Miner make better decisions in 2020. Although maybe losing to an independent candidate as the incumbent mayor is a sign that Miner isn’t a great pick for taking on Katko.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies