Democrats: One year ago, if you imagined the best case scenario on July 1, 2020...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:00:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Democrats: One year ago, if you imagined the best case scenario on July 1, 2020...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: It's July 1, 2019 and you dream up the best possible state of the Presidential race (assuming Trump was still President)
It would have been better than reality.

It would have been about the same as reality.

Reality has surpassed my wildest expectations.

No scenario in which Trump is still President is a good one.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Democrats: One year ago, if you imagined the best case scenario on July 1, 2020...  (Read 900 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2020, 08:20:00 AM »

Things are pretty good if you're a Democrat or left-leaning independent.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:27:30 AM »

I'd have preferred a different nominee (and voted "better than reality"), but the best case scenario in terms of EC and PV margin would still be a bit worse. At the time, I thought the strongest potential nominee of those who'd announced would be Steve Bullock, although I think I supported Warren for ideological reasons at this point.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:30:54 AM »

I mean, I was imaging best case scenario would be Joe Biden not being the nominee and I was convinced Biden would have no chance against Trump, so I guess reality has surpassed my expectations.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 04:18:20 PM »

Besides the whole, "different nominee" thing, whatever reality I came up with would not include something like COVID-19.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »

Besides the whole, "different nominee" thing, whatever reality I came up with would not include something like COVID-19.

Very good point. I would rather live in a world with no COVID and Trump winning than 2020 as it stands now.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 04:39:39 PM »

There were only a handful of candidates I preferred over Biden (O'Rourke, Harris, and Booker), but I really didn't think we'd be anywhere near flipping Texas or Iowa. Reality has surpassed my wildest expectations.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 04:48:45 PM »

Well, I certainly didn't expect the pandemic, but the polls + constant "long-term" Trump scandals are exceeding my wildest dreams. The best I thought I could hope for was Bernie Sanders winning a narrow victory by flipping the three Great Lakes states and possibly Arizona, with a Democratic House and 50/50 Senate.

We're very lucky to have nominated Biden instead, I think. He's exactly the kind of person who appeals to people right now - a familiar and "safe" choice who is positioned in the optimal "big tent" position on the political spectrum. Sanders would still be leading, but he would not be anywhere close to this in the polls.

McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 08:02:38 PM »

Yeah, I know, green avatar - but I'm voting Democratic

I would have pictured presumptive nominee Bernie Sanders leading by between 5 to 7 points in most polling, comfortably ahead in MI, WI and PA. I'd picture a recession emerging that would be less severe than it actually is now.

While I'm glad Trump appears to be headed for a loss, I'll always view it as a missed opportunity that Sanders never became President. In addition, it is deeply unfortunate that it took catastrophic mismanagement of this pandemic and the bottom falling out of the economy for many people to realize that Trump was never fit for office.

I hope that Biden, if and when he becomes President, recognizes that progressives will be an essential part of his coalition, and that his long-term political legacy depends on his ability and willingness to deliver progress on policy goals in terms of housing, health care, social justice, workers' rights, women's rights, racial equality and the environment - now more than ever at this precarious time. The country is more broken than at any time in living memory, and if there is not a sea change in how it is governed, I doubt it will survive the century.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 08:31:40 PM »

Biden was like my sixth choice, so this is not really my best case scenario. I did not expect the nominee to have a credible chance of 400+ electoral votes though.
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 09:13:29 PM »

Depends on how “best case scenario” is viewed.

I wanted Sanders to win and obviously I didn’t want a deadly virus and police brutality to be the reasons Trump is likely to lose. But in terms of the election itself, I used to think Trump had a slight advantage and the most the Dems could realistically get is a narrow victory. So in that respect, reality has far surpassed my expectations.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 10:33:51 PM »

I was on team Sanders so it isn’t my best case scenario but Biden is doing a lot better than I thought
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »

He’s doing even better than I expected. I certainly did not see the Senate as a likely pickup for Democrats, nor did I see myself actually wanting Biden to win.

I used to be a huge Trump fan early in his presidency. Now I no longer support him.
Epaminondas

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 10:51:02 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2020, 10:55:53 PM by Epaminondas »

Very good point. I would rather live in a world with no COVID and Trump winning than 2020 as it stands now.

Er, no. My old aunt died of Covid and I'm stuck in another country without any means to return to work because of it.

I'd still gladly take another big slice of Covid to rid the world of Trumpism. In fact, if I had a cure in my basement, I'd wait until Election Day to release it, just to be sure the GOP loses convincingly. That's how corrosive to democracies around the world the party is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies