The Atlasian Sol (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:40:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sol (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sol  (Read 2506 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: October 24, 2007, 02:38:58 AM »

You cannot become GM; the office does not exist anymore and (bearing in mind that it was scrapped by a decision of the then GM) cannot be re-created with any legitimacy.

What you can, of course, become is the Media Regulator. Or you can just sign the Contract (which grants certain GM-ish powers on the reporting of certain sorts of news in exchange for a few things in return).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:33:17 AM »

And Al, just because you abolished the gm of the first creation doesn't mean we can't create a new position of the same name.

Technically true. But such a position would have no real legitimacy; that is if we assume that the GM had authority beyond the Constitution and so on.

But, actually, all this sort of thing misses something important; a successor position to the GM already exists. The office happens to be vacant right now, but the Media Regulator can be appointed via the GM Act (in fact I think this is the only way that one can be appointed).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:04:32 AM »

It is my every plan to fight to re create the GM position to its former glory,

Don't recall the GM position being one associated with much in the way of glory. Tended to be the opposite really.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm doing no such thing. Just trying to stop people from doing certain things that would be very, very stupid. And some of the suggestions in this thread are actually far, far worse than that...

You can actually. Just ask to be nominated as Media Regulator. Appointments to that position are to be made under the GM Act as all references in Law to the GM apply to the position of Regulator.

Seeing someone say that almost makes me feel nostalgic.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »

No, none of it is statute. It was passed by the GM who operated outside the Senate-monolith in the way that a political party operates outside it. GM reform was fundamentally a matter of internal regulation.

Btw, good luck to you if you're serious about this. I hope that the (as yet untested) reforms I came up with have turned the position of, well, let us say the owner of the sweatshop that produces news, from something verging on a nightmare to something more managable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies