Who will be Trump’s running mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:16:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who will be Trump’s running mate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who will be Trump’s running mate?  (Read 1006 times)
PeteB
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2024, 12:58:04 AM »

It was going to be Noem but she blew her chance with the book.  If I had to guess, it will be either Haley (yes, I know Trump hates her guts but he will eat crow to try and get her voters) or, failing that, Stefanik.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2024, 01:15:30 AM »

Stefanik could help a lot with the jewish vote and it´s not like she had any path to win a NY Senate race in the future.

Why do Jews care about Stefanik?

I throught she was jewish. I think she is a bit liked by them thanks to the antisemitism hearings, throught.

Well, I donpt think she has much weaknesses, and can appeal to the suburban Romney-Biden moderates.

she would've in like... 2016, but since then she's dropped her "moderate" act entirely. I think any appeal to that group she brings is extremely limited.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2024, 12:10:20 PM »

Curious as to why Oddschecker has Doug Burgum as the frontrunner for the veepstakes (obscure Governor of a very small - and very safe GOP - state).

Politico had a profile on him that I read this morning. If I was an oddsmaker I might reduce my payout on his line after an article like that was published, given it may drive additional betting traffic to that one line. They'd want to be covered if Trump does end up picking him in case there's a lot of action there.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2024, 08:45:52 PM »

Thinking either Scott or Burgum ATM.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2024, 01:31:22 PM »

I really do not think either Burgum or Scott bring anything to the table for Trump.  Last time Pence calmed the fears of religious conservatives but Trump is such a known commodity now, that neither of these will bring anything new.  The one weakness Trump has is with woman/suburban voters.  The VP pick will be a female and, with Noem gone, only Haley and Stefanik realistically remain.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2024, 02:17:32 PM »

Well Burgum brings money, once he's the officially the VP nominee he could dump as much as he wants into the campaign, right?
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2024, 02:34:38 PM »

Well Burgum brings money, once he's the officially the VP nominee he could dump as much as he wants into the campaign, right?

Yes, assuming he is ready to spend a lot of that money.  It would certainly help.  However, I think Trump's main focus right now is electability, not funding - if he is elected all his troubles go away (i.e. he pardons himself).  That is why I think that (through gritted teeth) he will pick Haley or, at the very least, go with a woman VP candidate like Stefanik, to soften his image with suburban women voters.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2024, 03:21:19 PM »

Yes, assuming he is ready to spend a lot of that money.  It would certainly help.  However, I think Trump's main focus right now is electability, not funding - if he is elected all his troubles go away (i.e. he pardons himself).  That is why I think that (through gritted teeth) he will pick Haley or, at the very least, go with a woman VP candidate like Stefanik, to soften his image with suburban women voters.

Trump isn't gonna soften his touch with females Females vote D 60/40 in blue states where in red states they vote more R, obviously, because they are stuck in low wage jobs like minorities, Trump tax cuts that give oil subsidies to oil companies will do no bridge between rich and poor
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2024, 11:47:25 PM »

Yes, assuming he is ready to spend a lot of that money.  It would certainly help.  However, I think Trump's main focus right now is electability, not funding - if he is elected all his troubles go away (i.e. he pardons himself).  That is why I think that (through gritted teeth) he will pick Haley or, at the very least, go with a woman VP candidate like Stefanik, to soften his image with suburban women voters.

Haley appeals to no one reachable Burgum doesn't.  A white businessman who elicits nostalgia for the 1990s appeals to almost all of Haley's supporters for whom her primary appeal wasn't hostility to Donald Trump. And she can't bring those folks along anyway. As she had zero personal following before she became the anti Trump candidate she cannot bring any constituency of anti-Trump voters. Therefore you are better off going for the people who are reachable who think

1. The Trump Administration was far better than the Biden one
2. Biden's second term will be worse than the first
3. Harris will be even worse
4. Hey Trump is old too

Unsure who a sycophant like Stefanik, or Scott, or Sanders appeals to. Definitely not suburban voters.

It will almost certainly be Burgum because he has a good relationship with Trump, a compelling story and actually strengthens the appeal of the ticket as a whole
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2024, 01:25:27 PM »

Updated odds:

CANDIDATE   BET365   SPORTSINTERACTION
Tim Scott   +400   +450
Doug Burgum   +550   +700
J.D. Vance   +600   +600
Tulsi Gabbard   +750   +600
Marco Rubio   +1000   +1000
Elise Stefanik   +1100   +1000
Ben Carson   +1200   +1200

Looks like essentially a four-way race between Scott, Burgum, Vance, and Gabbard.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2024, 01:27:02 PM »

I can't imagine a non-Christian like Gabbard having much appeal to the Trump-skeptics that he needs to win over. All of the weirdo bros who simp for Gabbard are already 100% on the Trump train.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2024, 01:29:41 PM »

I really do not think either Burgum or Scott bring anything to the table for Trump.  Last time Pence calmed the fears of religious conservatives but Trump is such a known commodity now, that neither of these will bring anything new.  The one weakness Trump has is with woman/suburban voters.  The VP pick will be a female and, with Noem gone, only Haley and Stefanik realistically remain.

Elise Stefanik then. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2024, 02:33:51 PM »

Elise Stefanik then. 

I really can't see Trump picking a woman who doesn't have the "body type" he finds appealing...
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2024, 02:47:05 PM »

Still thinking Tim Scott. Same yes man personality he liked in Pence, his advisors like most Republicans are probably hyping up POC gains, and he seemed especially miffed at losing Georgia last time so a Southeasterner would probably stick out on the shortlist.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2024, 02:55:15 PM »

I think either Burgum or Scott, depending on if he wants his new Mike Pence to play up the "inoffensive midwestern governor" angle or the "sexually confused evangelical sycophant" angle. Figured it would have been Noem before the whole dog thing, and for whatever reason I don't really see him picking a woman anymore.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies