Official Torino 2006 thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:00:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Official Torino 2006 thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Official Torino 2006 thread  (Read 16346 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: February 11, 2006, 05:44:37 AM »

Come on guys, an AUSSIE had to start this thread? Wink

So, what dideveryone think of the opening ceremony? I particularly liked the rings, but I was a bit surprised at their picks of the olympic flag bearers. I'm looking forward to seeing the aussie girls make a clean sweep of the women's aerials...but it's unlikely. That said, we have three of the top 10 in the world, so...

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 03:15:36 AM »

Australia is aiming for one medal, any colour. How depressing.

Still, we have a good chance of a medal in one of the snowboard competitions (we have a woman in the top 5 for something, don't know what). We also have an outside chance in the men's moguls, and a very good chance in picking up something in the women's aerials, whatever colour. We might even get lucky and win another medal in speed skating.

Believe it or not, but Australuia actually has won a medal in every games since 1994 (wow-3 in a row!) so it's not impossible.

(bronze in 1998 for women's slalom (Zali Steggall); two Golds in 2002-women's aerilas (Alisa Camplin) and men's 100m short track speed skating (Steven Bradbury)...although that was luck; and in 1994, bronze in the men's 5000 metres short track relay.)

BTW, I hope Canada do win a couple of golds in Torino-they need to stock up, because they won't be winning any in 2010.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:27:30 PM »

Canada's aim is a top 3 finish this year with a #1 finish in the medal standings for Vancouver 2010.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I hope this has something to do with the fact we have never won a gold at home, (not in 1988 or 1976) and not some sort of brain fart on your part Wink

Indeed it is the former.

BTW, anyone watch the luge? Good to see the Italians win a gold. Also good to see some Latvian beat out an American for Bronze Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:26:06 PM »

not live here either, which can be very very frustrating, We get about 5 and a half hours coverage every night, from 7:30pm.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »

well, Australia's first real chance of a medal didnt turn out to be one. Torah Bright came 5th in the women's halfpipe snowboarding. Ah well, still time yet.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 08:11:36 PM »

I'd rather NBC cut out the non-Americans/non-good stuff for us. I'd rather not watch ten groups of Chinese guys go before the American kicks their asses.

I have the same feeling for the non-Canadians.

Watching the winter games gives me the same feeling that I presume most countries get with the summer games. In the summer games, if there is only a maximum of about 6 people who have a chance of winning gold, usually at least one is an Aussie. If there isn't an aussie, there is another sport that will have one so they can cover that instead.

In the winter oolympics, there might be an aussie somewhere around 18th, but the realistic medal chances are very rarely Australian. It's still interesting, but not as interesting. I suppose the Canucks feel the same way about the summer games.

BTW, I feel kind of sorry for Norway-last I looked, they had 8 medals but only one of them was Gold.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:56:57 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2006, 10:17:18 PM by hughento »

Yeah, but you have 300 million people. We have 20 million and still manage to get in the top 5 in the summer games. Although Norway is pretty impressive, considering they have 3, maybe 4 million people? In Sydney, The US won about 1 medal per 3 million people. Australia won about 1 per 300,000. So, you could say we're ten times better then the states Cheesy

The best olympic nations would probably be the Bahamas, Australia, Norway, the USA, Germany and Russia. Maybe a couple of other little nations that win a few medals.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 06:52:16 PM »

Australia is aiming for one medal, any colour. How depressing.

An Australian just won the gold medal in men's moguls.

well, he was one of our 5 real medal chances, so that's good, but this is kinda irritating, because the tv coverage won't start for another 13 hours and 38 minutes Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »

It's the only one you'll be winning in a multi-sport event this year...Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 10:18:14 PM »

The USA Women had a tough curling loss. Aside from the fact I have no clue what the hell is going on, I don't find curling to be that boring a sport.

It's kinda like lawn bowls on ice. Not really anyone's favourite sport, but watchable.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »

Re: women's Snowboard cross.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I would feel sorry for her, but...she deserved it. Showoff.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 08:28:35 AM »

This American woman was leading by about 60m, and in one of the jumps she decided to show off and pull a trick...but she mucked the landing, fell on her arse and was overtaken by a swiss chick just before the finish line. Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 08:44:13 AM »

This American woman was leading by about 60m, and in one of the jumps she decided to show off and pull a trick...but she mucked the landing, fell on her arse and was overtaken by a swiss chick just before the finish line. Smiley

It was hilarious, the moment of the games for me so far.

It doesn't quite compare with Bradbury, but it's the best of Torino so far.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 08:13:45 AM »

After watching the ice hockey...

what are you guys thinking? You take a perfectly good game and spoil it! If you wanted to make hockey a winter sport, make it bloody snow hockey or something.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 06:51:57 PM »

From what i've seen on some of the American news shows here, that could be because of the complete and utter lack of coverage of any non-US competitor unless it's ice hockey or they crash. Australia obviously has to cover non-Aussies, but even in the summer games it seems more balanced. I'm obviously not getting the whole picture, butfrom what I am seeing over here, there is a big Italian fan presence, especially at the skating events.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 09:56:13 PM »

And hugh, stop bashing  ice hockey, you don't see me whining about field hockey. Ice Hockey is a lot of fun, you should try it.

1-Keep calling it Ice Hockey and I have no real problem with you.
2-Field Hockey is Hockey. The original and obviously the best.
3-You've really on 15 medals. I refuse to accept Dale Begg-Smith's gold, because he doesn't feel Australian. If someone came to Australia, became a citizen, and competed for us and felt and considered themselves Australian, great! Just look at Tatiana Grigorieva (polevaulter, silver in Sydney); we all love her, or Irena Lashko (diver, multiple olympic medallist). But you can tell he doesn't consider himself Australian, and it really sucks. I hope we get a medal in the ladies' aerials, because as far as I'm concerned, we're still waiting for our first.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 10:01:32 PM »

3-You've really on 15 medals. I refuse to accept Dale Begg-Smith's gold, because he doesn't feel Australian. If someone came to Australia, became a citizen, and competed for us and felt and considered themselves Australian, great! Just look at Tatiana Grigorieva (polevaulter, silver in Sydney); we all love her, or Irena Lashko (diver, multiple olympic medallist). But you can tell he doesn't consider himself Australian, and it really sucks. I hope we get a medal in the ladies' aerials, because as far as I'm concerned, we're still waiting for our first.

I remember reading this one article that said, "Begg-Smith is as Aussie as maple syrup."

Pretty much. Whenever he's asked what he thinks of Australia, he says "Well, Australia has a really great programme. (or do you use program? Whatever)

The only reason he swithched is he had a blue with the canucks about not being able to run his company and train with the national team, and therefore, not be able to compete. He lives in Australia for a couple of months a year, mainly in the northern summer, but generally spends all his time in Vancouver or the mountains thereabouts.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 09:43:19 PM »

well, we won our first real medal; Bronze in the women's aerials. Australia's team trains (in part) by jumping into the Murray River.

It's such a shame Lydia I. popped her knee; the shrieks were pretty awful. My mum felt physically sick after seeing it, and she's an ex-emergency department nurse Tongue

It's also a shame that Jacqui Cooper, who set a world record in qualification, didn't get a medal; she has had such bad luck at the olympics and we were all hoping things would go right for her this time, but it wasn't to be Sad
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 09:55:21 PM »

Four medals today for us- two gold (take that Australia!)

Just wait for the Commonwealth Games-Australia's hoping for over 200 medals.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 10:01:53 PM »

Four medals today for us- two gold (take that Australia!)

Just wait for the Commonwealth Games-Australia's hoping for over 200 medals.

Pfft, if it doesn't have hockey or curling, it doesn't count Wink

It has hockey and lawn bowls, instead.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 10:31:15 PM »

Well, we are almost at the end. Torino has been an OK host; certainly nothing has gone wrong besides the weather for a couple of events, but it was kinda bland. There was no real flair, which was a shame. Maybe the closing ceremony will be good.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 07:26:49 PM »

The only 'spectacular' Olympics in the last 20 years-Barcelona 1992; Lillehammer 1994; Sydney 2000. Sydney was obviously the best of the three, but Barcelona 'saved' the Olympics.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 07:51:50 PM »

The only 'spectacular' Olympics in the last 20 years-Barcelona 1992; Lillehammer 1994; Sydney 2000. Sydney was obviously the best of the three, but Barcelona 'saved' the Olympics.

I only remember starting with Sydney, and my memories of that are very fond. It seemed like the Aussies really cared, and for the most part filled up the stands. Salt Lake was good as well, the last two Olympics have been lacking however.

We did. Here's hoping Smiggins Holes 2014 works out Wink

(Smiggings Holes is a very low-budget ski 'resort' in the NSW mountains. There is a possibility of a serious bid some time in the distant future for one in the Victorian High Country, spread over Falls Creek, Mt. Buller, Lake Mountain, Mt Buffalo, Mt Bogong and Mt Hotham. The biggest problem is that you can't guarantee snowfall of a sufficient level to last the event with fresh snow.

Still, i'm looking forward to Melbourne 2032-failing that, Brisbane or Perth would have to do. Auckland might be able to get the games as soon as 2024; but Australia would have to wait until 2028 at the very earliest; we'll almost certainly get it again some time between 2032-2044.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »

Atlanta was pretty good, Sydney moreso, Athens wasn't all that great because of baseball and basketball sucking big time. Nagano was just all bad, SLC was decent, but Torino was the best out of those I've seen.

I can only remember a little bit about Lillehammer, but I can only remember good things.

Atlanta wasn't that great, really. Besides the whole bomb thing, it had no real spark. Salt Lake was actually pretty good, I think better then Torino, but Torino's opening ceremony was fantastic. Maybe I just have fonder memories of SLC because of Bradbury and Camplin Smiley

(Bad pun, my apologies)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 11:51:08 PM »

Um, the most memorable event is obviously the American snowboarding landing on her arse in the women's snowboard cross...
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies