Legacies in college admissions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:52:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Legacies in college admissions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legacies in college admissions  (Read 2126 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: July 30, 2004, 08:37:06 PM »

I chose the last option.

I think legacies at southern state schools are terribly unfair to blacks, who were unconstitutionally excluded from the schools for which their taxes paid until relatively recently, and therefore can't call upon earlier generations of alumni/alumnae to boost their applications.

I have not been a supporter of affirmative action because I don't think you right a wrong by committing another wrong.  I would much rather eliminate legacies, and have applicants evaluated on their own merits without regard to race, than continue legacies and have affirmative action.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 05:18:10 AM »

Legacies are cool and an aspect of individual rights within a private institution.

Affirmative Action is just the opposite - an interference with private rights.

If legacies are an aspect of individual rights, so is affirmative action.  An institution may make a private choice to honor affirmative action just as they choose to honor legacies.

As I said earlier, I believe in neither.  But it's not fair to be one-sided, and support something that effectively gives whites preference over blacks, since blacks were specifically excluded from those institutions in the past based solely on skin color, and then complain about affirmative action.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 06:09:58 AM »

I'm surprised to see how many liberals do not support affirmative action.  How does it remain so strongly a part of the Democratic agenda?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 07:58:51 AM »

I'm surprised to see how many liberals do not support affirmative action.  How does it remain so strongly a part of the Democratic agenda?

They need 90% of African Americans to vote for them if they want to win.

Very true, but it seems to be more than that.  It's almost like the abortion issue for Democrats.  Those who don't agree with the position are sent to Siberia.  It's just one of those politically correct things - if you don't support it, you're guilty of "hate."

There are a fair number of blacks who don't support certain aspects of affirmative action (just as there are many women who don't support abortion).

The Democratic Party needs the support of rabidly partisan groups like the NAACP and NOW, for whom these issues are paramount, and I guess that delivers them the support they need from blacks and women to have a chance of winning elections.

Because blacks vote so overwhelmingly for Democrats, and Democrats need that level of support from blacks to win, they are at the same time the party's greatest source of strength as well as its greatest Achilles Heel.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 08:05:05 PM »

Legacies are cool and an aspect of individual rights within a private institution.

Affirmative Action is just the opposite - an interference with private rights.

An interesting quote by the 'old' opebo.  What caused such a sudden change of heart on this issue?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies