Democratic Primary Bullock vs. Booker (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:48:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Democratic Primary Bullock vs. Booker (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic Primary Bullock vs. Booker  (Read 769 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: May 12, 2017, 11:08:29 AM »

Never going to happen, but okay...

Booker beats Bullock handily.

Care to explain your thinking?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »

Bullock wouldn't have the same appeal as Sanders in any of the green states except for MT and mayyybe WV, and Booker is a much better candidate than Clinton (though that's not saying much) - higher AA turnout alone should be enough for him to win in MI, and I highly doubt he'd do worse than Clinton among White voters in the Midwest. Plus, it's not as if Bullock is some populist hero and Booker is just the awful neoliberal - it's not as simple as this forum wants you to believe.

But yeah, I know you want 2020 to be a Phil Scott/John Kasich vs. John Bel Edwards/Steve Bullock race. Wink

I mean, the only appealing thing about that race would be that I like both Phil Scott and John Kasich; I couldn't care less who Democrats nominate if I like the Republican and think they can beat them.  However, I guess your analysis makes sense.  While Booker might be a better general election candidate, I disagree within the primaries.  He is toxic to the most active and loyal segement of the Democratic coalition, and I think he's toast.  Don't know much about Bullock.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »

While Booker might be a better general election candidate, I disagree within the primaries.  He is toxic to the most active and loyal segement of the Democratic coalition, and I think he's toast.  Don't know much about Bullock.

Booker would probably move to the left during the campaign, but I'm not sure why you think he'd be toast in a Democratic primary? What exactly is the most active and loyal segment of the Democratic coalition and why would they have a problem with Booker? I mean, if this were the case, Sanders would have won easily in 2016, right? (And like I said, he ran against a much weaker candidate than Booker would be)

Just ftr, I don't think Booker will be the nominee anyway. Right now, I believe it will be someone like Biden.

Clinton was not a particularly weak PRIMARY candidate, as she somehow amassed a huge group of people who were HUGE fans of hers; when people joked that she was "inevitable," it was kind of true.  It says a lot about her (and the direction the party will move in as millenials get older, IMO) that she almost choked to Sanders and needed a lot of super delegate help, but she still had a huge group of the primary electorate that seemed to worship her.  Her name recognition was through the roof, and I think the inevitability really helped her limp across the finish line.  Clearly, the GE was another story.  The 2016 primaries were always going to be about finding someone who could take out Clinton; 2020's will be much more crowded, and I'm inclined to believe the far left will have an easier time unifying behind someone than "the rest."  Blacks have historically gotten behind one candidate (might be Booker but far from certain), but I'm not so sure about Hispanics, the union vote, women, etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies