Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:44:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues  (Read 7483 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 18, 2019, 02:41:32 PM »

A.nobody that bullies, sexually assaults or rapes is going to not do those things because of this ad

What the ad says is that parents should teach their kids that it's not OK to do all these things, or engage in sexist behavior.
Is that too much for your libertarian sensitivities?
The vast majority of parents do do that, those that don't won't be swayed by this ad.  It's weird that you guys think they would.

1ad of course won't change the world, but cultural influences change, well, culture. Little by little. The fact that the world on TV is nothing like the make-believe never was of Leave it to Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet rightly influences our view is to who we really are as a country and as a people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »

How does this work? "I accuse you of doing a lot of bad things because of your sex, and then I expect you to buy my stuff"?
nope, This ad isn't aimed at men, it's aimed at moms...like I said earlier, they know men don't change products if they do the job and they know moms buy their son's first shaving products, this kind of cheap crap works on moms.

Thank God there are vigilant dads like you to protect their kids from such underhanded tactics.
Indeed (and we are legion) because I do the grocery shopping in my house.  'cause of my privilege and toxic masculinity obviously Wink  He'll use a disposable Bic when he needs it.  If he wants something better, he can buy it.  He just hit 17 and has just tinniest hint of a mustache, so it hasn't been an issue yet.  I'll let you know when that changes.

Tell me you are good enough to refer to it to his face as his mustache, rather than common on its tininess? The first time I tried growing a mustache my lip hair was so light only my father barely and I mean barely recognized, and my mother never did. Probably for the best.

I don't know your son, but I suspect in his mind it's practically a Wyatt Earp mustache. Grin
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 10:43:57 PM »

Imagine Gillette running an advert asking minorities to not commit crime, then imagine the storm of criticism which would ensue. Now you will understand the backlash to this advert: conservative men feel that men are an oppressed minority in society.

That's a stupid and false equivalency. Unless you're pointing out that conservative men are idiots for feeling like an oppressed minority. In which case, yeah, I get it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:33:48 PM »

Right wingers are the biggest snowflakes and the most politically correct.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

I'm really tired of being lectured by the media and by corporate America.

I keep hearing how sick people are of Christian preaching.  I'm sick of this.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

So as I said. Triggered snowflakes.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

I keep hearing how sick people are of Christian preaching.  I'm sick of this.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

I don't believe in Corporate-Named Stadiums, but I suppose they're hear to stay.

But, no, I don't appreciate lectures.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave. 

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

Fuzzy, I don't get it. What on Earth do you have against this ad and the message portrays?!? The only individuals who should have an ounce of problem with it literal purveyors of toxic masculinity like Reagan fan and a few other failed attempts at manhood on this form. I don't consider you remotely like that.

Please, just get over the whole triggering the libs thing and appreciate a message for what it is. It's a good message!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:25:40 AM »

I have lost brain cells by reading through this thread. Many of you(you know who you are) are calling those on the right snowflakes. Harassment goes both ways as well as sexism. Women can be sexist towards men, blacks can be racist towards whites, and the LGBT community can be heterophobic to those not a part of it. This should be a two way street, not a double standard! Imagine the outrage if a commercial of a product designed for women stated that women need to stop accusing men of sexual assault! An entire mans life can be ruined from one accusation. It is absolutely pathetic that people are supporting Gillette for insulting and harassing nearly half of the entire population. The boycotts have arrived and Gillette is going to get what they deserve!

Wow. This is literally the worst post I think I've read all year. I mean it's garbage from top to bottom. The LGBT community can be heterophobic to those who are not a part of it?!? WTF are you talking about? In what cave do you live in? Good almighty God.

Please stop posting. Burn your computer. Cancel your internet service and move to outer Mongolia. Your chances of posting anyting worthwhile are effectively nonexistent. Save yourself embarrassment, and the rest of the Forum from making its eyes bleed.

To recap. This post is unspeakably bad, and the so-called thought process that went behind it was just as awful.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

I keep hearing how sick people are of Christian preaching.  I'm sick of this.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

I don't believe in Corporate-Named Stadiums, but I suppose they're hear to stay.

But, no, I don't appreciate lectures.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave.  

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

Fuzzy, could you please explain what specifically about that message of the ad itself bothers you?  I get that Gillette itself is full of Inks, but don’t you think this is still an important and positive message that should be reinforced whenever possible?  I’d ask the same question of Dead0man, btw.  I’m really trying to understand where you guys are coming from here and I’m just not seeing it.

The idea that ordinary people (A) never get a rest from this crap in the media, and (B) that it's now in corporate commercials as well in news, talk shows, and  public service spots.

The narrative that males are to blame for all that is wrong with society is one that has gotten traction.  While I don't wish for young boys to grow up to be narcissists, I consider this constant bombardment of males with blame for just about everything wrong with society (not to mention the "Male Privilege" doctrine) is more than a little excessive.

So I'm pushing back.  If I'm the only one here doing so, let it happen.

If that is what you got from that ad, you desperately need counseling.

I'm not sure if there's mental health cure for crotchety old crank ism, but if there is, Godspeed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 03:07:00 AM »

Being against rape and toxic masculinity doesn't mean you can't admire sexy women in tight clothing.

GASP! NO! That Gillette commercial proves that men have to wear frilly panties oh, and thank goodness for the Defenders of real masculinity in this thread!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 07:55:40 PM »

You fixed something that wasn't broken.

I'll bet that's the story of your life.

Guys, guys! Can we both acknowledge those two both committed sexual harassment on the job and should both be considered targets of this ad?

That said, even considering the one accusation I recall Clinton painfully biting the lip of one of his accusers while groping her, yes, I can readily say without an ounce of partisanship that Trump is at least 20 times worse in this respect. Furthermore, and more tellingly, Clinton has at least acknowledged and apologized for his behavior oh, and did so under the very different and relatively unevolved standards from 20 years ago. Trump meanwhile, here in 2019, unconvincing lead denies his behavior in one hand, and high-fives his supporters about it with the other.

None of this changes the fact that Kristen gillibrand was right, the Clinton scandal came out today, he probably have to resign. Which case President Gore would have probably won in 2000 and.....(sigh).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »

Normal people looking at this ad:  " that's nice they're encouraging boys and men to not tolerate bullying and try to be our best. What a nice message. Oh good, the games back on..."

Right-wing snowflakes watching this: "HOW DARE THEY CALL ALL MEN BULLIES!! (option a) "ISNT IT ENOUGH SOCIETY IS TEACHING BOYS TO BE SOFT, NOW WE HAVE TO SEE THIS PC CRAP IN RAZOR ADS?!?" (option 2) "WHAT, DO THEY THINK WE'RE ALL NEANDRTHALS WORRYING ABOUT OUR BOYS BEING MADE SOFT THAT NOW WE HAVE TO SEE THIS PC CRAP IN RAZOR ADS?!?

(both versions) "I don't have time to spend with you now, son, Daddy has something to post on Facebook right away!"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 08:55:24 PM »

Question to the liberals: If a commercial asked Muslims not to be terrorists/extremists, how would you react?

That's not even the same thing, because terrorists are not exclusive to one group and it's not something that is normalized. Bullying and sexual harassment have been ingrained into some men as being masculine and tough traits.

So many things wrong with this response LMAO

1) “Terrorists are not exclusive to one group” is a reason why it’s different? Sorry to break it to you, but bullies and rapists aren’t always men. There are many, many cases of female rapists. This is not an argument.

But (most) rapists are men, you might say? I could make the same generalization about Muslims, but I don’t think many people would like that.

2) Terrorism is normalized in many parts of the world, just not as much in America due to restrictions on immigration of people from those countries.

I NEVER, EVER SAID THAT BULLIES AND RAPISTS ARE EXCLUSIVELY MEN. If you have an issue with the ad, that is your problem and not mine. Bringing up Muslims only serves to deflect from the issue that the ad is addressing, which is deeply rooted toxic behavior that many see as masculinity.

YOUR QUOTE LITERALLY SAYS IT.

“That’s not the same thing, because terrorists aren’t exclusive to one group”.

You are implying that rapists are only men.

The ad attacks toxic masculinity which often leads to rape and bullying being normalized. Toxic masculinity itself is mostly limited to men. Terrorism has been committed by various groups for political, religious and many other reasons that can't be microtargeted towards one group.

But if you have an issue with the ad, that's your problem not mine.

This last sentence sums up the entire debate. People who have a hard time with a feel-good don't tolerate bullying message from a razor add are Beyond snowflakes, but rather people with Bonafide issues.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »

At least it's a positive ad compared to the last one which just defecated on men, throwing them all into a stereotype.

Someone was triggered by an ad that called on men to be their best.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »

At least it's a positive ad compared to the last one which just defecated on men, throwing them all into a stereotype.

by accusing them of uniformly failing at it for all of history up until the present #Metoo moment, when a chosen few were enlightened by the television talking heads.

Except it objectively did not do that.

I guess you must have seen a different version.

No, we didn't. You are just objectively and factually incorrect.

This is not a mere difference of opinion here. Just literally two plus two equals five wrong.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »

by accusing them of uniformly failing at it for all of history up until the present #Metoo moment, when a chosen few were enlightened by the television talking heads.

This is not a mere difference of opinion here. Just literally two plus two equals five wrong.

The first 35 seconds are images of boys and men being bullies and pigs.
An endless row of men barbecuing, mindlessly repeating "Boys will be boys."
Narrator: "But something finally changed"
Cut to Anita Sarkeesian talking about sexual harassment.

What the hell else are people supposed to take away from that, huh?

Um, not your hypothesis?

It is hysterical to watch conservatives, for all the yammering about liberal snowflakes, to get so triggered over the smallest threats to their hegemony.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »

The first 35 seconds are images of boys and men being bullies and pigs.
An endless row of men barbecuing, mindlessly repeating "Boys will be boys."
Narrator: "But something finally changed"
Cut to Anita Sarkeesian talking about sexual harassment.

What the hell else are people supposed to take away from that, huh?

Um, not your hypothesis?

It is hysterical to watch conservatives, for all the yammering about liberal snowflakes, to get so triggered over the smallest threats to their hegemony.

Since you love this commercial so much, maybe you could take a hint from it try not being so overbearing and hostile to everyone who happens to have a different perspective than you.

To the irony ore mine, stat!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »

Having a libertarian assail progressives about being too pro-business and capitalistic is the exact Nexus between adorable and bizzare.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies