The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:28:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb  (Read 8124 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« on: January 07, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »

What does Obama need?
1. Military expericen
2. Foreign policy savvy
3. Understanding of the Middles East
4. Someone who can help him win in VA/NC
5. A pugnacious vet who can rip John McCain apart

The man who can deliver for Obama is Jim Webb. A Vietnam war vet turned Navy Secretary under Reagan turned swing state Senator.  Webb also oozes testosterone his presence on the ticket would add a much-needed macho boost for the Democratic Party. Webb's military heroism would inoculate from backlash when he attacks John McCain.

Webb also adds the right experience to the ticket. His knowledge of Iraqi history is simply unparalleled in the U.S Senate. On Meet the Press and other pundit shows he's dominated his Republican jousting partners. He wouldn't be cowed in a debate against whomever the GOP nominates for VP.

You make a solid and compelling case for Webb as the Vice Presidential nominee.  However, I do not believe a first term Senator running for President would go with another first term Senator for his running mate.

My choice is Governor Mike Easley of North Carolina, older than Obama, experienced, accomplished, with a good reputation as chief executive of the state.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:13:26 PM »

For VP, Webb is a non starter.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »

Simply put

Obama first term Senator + Webb first term Senator  = non starter

Webb meets the white male requirement that Obama will require for a running mate, however, Obama as well requires someone with more elective political maturity than Webb has.

Webb is not a particularly likeable politician.  He can be brash and blunt. 

As well, he has written controversial articles about women in the military and women in combat in the past, which may come back to haunt him as the VP candidate.  Not that I agree statements made so many years ago should have any bearing on a campaign, however, some might.

Webb is a strong proponent of gun rights, and could therefore be at odds with much of the Democratic base.

Obama does not need the controversy in his campaign of being politically inexperienced and of having a politically inexperienced running mate, nor the potential controversy of having a running mate whose past views on women in the military and in combat may be viewed as sexist by some, nor the potential fall out of having to defend a running mate who is a pro gun advocate.

All considered, I believe Webb is a non starter to become the running mate for Obama. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »

You make a good case for your man.

Perhaps you should send your ideas to the Obama campaign.

But does the nod go to Webb?  My opinion, no.

But who knows, you could be on to something.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies