Opinion of "Liberal Triumphalism" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:32:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of "Liberal Triumphalism" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of "Liberal Triumphalism"
Freedom Theology

Horrible Theology

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Opinion of "Liberal Triumphalism"  (Read 1248 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 11, 2015, 05:56:23 AM »

How can you say fundamentalism get's abolished too, when this theology wishes for all other belief systems and all other religions to be, as you put it 'abolished.'

That's the very definition of religious fundamentalism, whether it's a conservative hellhole or liberal hot air.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »

Again, how is a belief system that wants all other belief systems, ideologies and systems of non belief abolished allowing only one ideology (it's own) to exist, not fundamentalist?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 04:37:43 PM »

Again, how is a belief system that wants all other belief systems, ideologies and systems of non belief abolished allowing only one ideology (it's own) to exist, not fundamentalist?

What definition of "fundamentalism" are you using?

It sounds more like you are using fundamentalist, the way various leftists/rightists use fascist/communist, not the historic definition from the days of Machen and Fosdick, nor the more recent "separated, ultraconservative, low church Protestant" of more recent years.

Why is there an argument over semantics? I think the point I was trying to make was pretty clear.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2015, 05:10:13 PM by afleitch »

What definition of "fundamentalism" are you using?

It sounds more like you are using fundamentalist, the way various leftists/rightists use fascist/communist, not the historic definition from the days of Machen and Fosdick, nor the more recent "separated, ultraconservative, low church Protestant" of more recent years.

Why is there an argument over semantics? I think the point I was trying to make was pretty clear.

The entire debate between you and BRTD hinges on the definition of fundamentalism. If "fundamentalism" means "separated, ultraconservative, low church Protestantism", then by definition, BRTD's view is not fundamentalist. You dispute that with him, so I assume you define it differently.

So I ask again: what is your definition of fundamentalist?

I genuinely have no idea what on earth you are talking about. Is this an American thing? 'Fundamentalist' is usually used at least in day to day language 'here' to pejoratively refer to philosophies (not just religions) perceived carrying a self pretence of being the sole objective truth. I just stated that it is an ideologically fundamentalist position, or as Antonio perhaps better put it 'totalitarian' position to want all other belief systems, ideologies and systems of non belief abolished in favour of your own.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies