Is displaying a Confederate flag similar to displaying a Nazi flag? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:43:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is displaying a Confederate flag similar to displaying a Nazi flag? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is displaying a Confederate flag similar to displaying a Nazi flag?
Yes (D/D-leaning)

No (D/D-leaning)

Yes (R/R-leaning)

No (R/R-leaning)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Is displaying a Confederate flag similar to displaying a Nazi flag?  (Read 1948 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: July 20, 2022, 06:35:00 PM »

You sometimes see Confederate flags even in Germany. I think people do this for varying reasons.

For some, it certainly serves as proxy for other flags that are not quite socially acceptable in Germany, if not illegal.

But I'm sure that the other subset of Germans to display this flag really have no idea of American history, and for them, the flag merely symbolizes 'Southern' values such as 'pickup truck' 'barbeque' 'Harley Davidson' or 'cowboy hat.'

It is my impression that Confederate flag users in Germany use it as some kind of symbol of "rebellion" and "freedom".

That can be the case because the people in question actually know the flag from The Dukes of Hazzard (which I happened to watch as a kid too, along with The Fall Guy and The A-Team Tongue ).

But I have also gotten the impression that an above-average portion of the people keen on displaying their "rebel" status with the Confederate flag are probably AfD voters, alt-righters, Reichsbürger etc. - judging from the flags and symbols they like to display alongside the Confederate flag.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies