Turnout, Turnout, Turnout (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:33:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Turnout, Turnout, Turnout (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turnout, Turnout, Turnout  (Read 3290 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: May 11, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »

I disagree. I think turnout will be low (51-52.9%). Both candidates have support but there is a general lack of excitement for them.  

I agree with your analysis.

I would add that the percentages used are based on Voting Age Population.  Since much of that population is ineligible to vote (alliens, convicted felons whose civil rights have not been restored - in most states, and people not registerd - in most states) the actual percentage of eligible voters voting is significantly higher.

I think I disagree.  The people were fat and happy back in 2000, so turnout was low, but not as low as previously.  This year people aren't quite as fat or as happy, so they'll want to "do something" and since most people actually seem to believe their personal conditions are affected by the identity of the president (and for some it is arguably true) they'll vote.  I voted 53-55 percent, about the same as last time.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 08:25:59 PM »

I hate the phrase Christian Conservatives.  They're really not conservative at all; their entire agenda is pushing for government to interfere in things that the constitution does not empower.  They assume that they know what is best for people and wish to use government unconstitutionally to impose their thoughts on others.  In that reagard they are as much liberal elitists as John Kerry and his ilk.

You are definitely not morally fashionable.  I really like that about the persona your posts have assumed.  And you are exactly right.  I'm glad someone had the balls to finally say something true and profound, even though it is currently unfashionable to do that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 08:27:16 PM »

I think that people will be motivated to go to the polls this time.  Florida showed people that votes in swing states count, so the swing state turout will be like 75%.  Since the swing states include 153 of the 435 Congressional Districts (35% of the total population), that is 26.4% total turnout, plus roughly 50% turnout in the remaining states equals 58.8% overall turnout.

this post, on the other hand, is madness.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies