Predict the House vote on the American Health Care Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:35:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Predict the House vote on the American Health Care Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Predict the House vote on the American Health Care Act  (Read 1437 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »

The GOP health care bill is supposed to come up for a vote on Thursday.  Predict how many votes in favor, and how many against.  As a reminder, there are only 430 members of the House at the moment, since there are 5 vacancies.  237 Republicans and 193 Democrats.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »

I think it'll pass by one or two votes.  Then, things will get really interesting.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:25 PM »

217-213 in favor, but I hope I'm wrong and it fails by a single vote.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out how it even gets close in the Senate. I can imagine it passing the House with no more than a couple of votes to spare. That could happen even with close to a couple of dozen GOP defections. But why would Republicans bother to whip a majority on an unpopular bill that appears to have virtually no hope of passing the Senate?

I don't think it's really that hard to understand.

Paul Ryan would rather have healthcare die in Senate, so he can say "I tried" and move on to passing tax reform legislation.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »

225 aye, 205 nay. 193 D no,  12 Republican no, 225 ayes.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out how it even gets close in the Senate. I can imagine it passing the House with no more than a couple of votes to spare. That could happen even with close to a couple of dozen GOP defections. But why would Republicans bother to whip a majority on an unpopular bill that appears to have virtually no hope of passing the Senate?

I think that the prospect of passing the bill in the senate is slim only because Rand Paul refuses to budge on accepting anything but one outcome: a full repeal of the bill.  That means Republicans can only afford to lose one more senator.  I think their best hope is revising the bill in a way that mostly placates centrists, and hoping that Cruz, Lee, et al. eventually come on board.  Otherwise, they might have to start all over.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »

Fails by quite a bit when the entire Freedom Caucus and a bunch of moderate Rs vote no.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 05:54:56 PM »

214 - For
216 - Against
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »

Paul Ryan would rather have healthcare die in Senate, so he can say "I tried" and move on to passing tax reform legislation.

I think Ryan really does want it to pass so they can pass tax reform that redistributes more money upwards. Cracking open some of the ACA's tax provisions was supposed to be part of that. I mean, I still feel like Ryan will end up running up the deficit if he can't get ACA "reformed," but overall it's part of his larger plan.

As for my prediction - Between 220 - 226 For
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »

I think that the prospect of passing the bill in the senate is slim only because Rand Paul refuses to budge on accepting anything but one outcome: a full repeal of the bill.  That means Republicans can only afford to lose one more senator.  I think their best hope is revising the bill in a way that mostly placates centrists, and hoping that Cruz, Lee, et al. eventually come on board.  Otherwise, they might have to start all over.

I just don't see it happening.

Ryan is already planning to move AHCA further to the right in order to appease the Freedom Caucus before the floor vote on Thursday. The bill, as it is right now, already looks like it's going to be DOA in the Senate, but after the closed-door tweaks Ryan plans on making to the bill, I think it's going to be an even longer long-shot in the Senate.

Even if the bill somehow miraculously passes in the Senate, it would be after some heavy-handed modifications to the bill. Then it heads to a conference committee, where it probably dies, or it makes it through committee and dies on either the floor of the House or Senate. Probably the House floor, if I had to guess.

Also, I think it's hilarious that you believe Mike Lee and Ted Cruz, the man who spearheaded the shut down of our government, could conceivably fall in line for a vote on, if we're being honest with ourselves, an Obamacare modification bill. This isn't a replacement. It's just a crappy, watered down version of Obamacare.

GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 07:06:59 PM »

225 aye, 205 nay. 193 D no,  12 Republican no, 225 ayes.

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »

I don't think it's really that hard to understand.

What do you mean, "move on"? This bill is a tax cut first, Medicaid de-federalization second, and a reform of the ACA third.

Although, on the third count, "sabotage" would be a better term than "reform." Every problem that exists in the individual insurance marketplaces today will be multiplied tenfold with the individual mandate removed, and it's overwhelmingly likely that rural hospitals will close by the dozens within years without some kind of federal bailout if anything like this passes.

I don't disagree with your characterization of the AHCA.

The point I'm trying to make is that I think Ryan is aware of the fact that his party has completely botched their opportunity to repeal and replace Obamacare, and is now trying to shirk an Obamacare replacement and throw whatever train-wreck he can pass through the House onto Mitch McConnell's desk.

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »

Fails to pass the House: 218 Nay, 212 Yea.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »

It's worth noting that the National Right to Life will count voting against it as a pro-abortion vote.  It remains to be seen whether some conservatives will wind up voting for it to retain their 100% pro-life ratings from the NRLC.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »

Our Amazing President has nice improvements to the bill!

Link

He is just so good.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:16 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2017, 11:09:47 PM by Ronnie »

Might be best to take this with a grain of salt, but Rachel Maddow said tonight that NBC currently has a whip count of 17 Republican "No" votes.  22 would be enough to torpedo the bill.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies