Was George W Bush in 2004 the most hated figure by the opposing party to win (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:11:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Was George W Bush in 2004 the most hated figure by the opposing party to win (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was George W Bush in 2004 the most hated figure by the opposing party to win  (Read 4646 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: July 20, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »

Oh yes. George W. Bush was detested by Democrats, Trump isn't even comparable. A lot of Democrats can find points of commonality with Trump like the Syria thing. With Bush? No way. Don't forget Bush launched the Iraq war which has been the defining issue for Democrats for a decade and a half. The war is what made Bush so hated. Recently I've been thinking the Iraq war was even worse than I'd imagined; it may have been the death knell of Western civilization, which I didn't even consider at the time. Heck, I know it doesn't seem this way now, but if Trump doesn't start a major war, words won't be able to express my gratitude.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »

Oh yes. George W. Bush was detested by Democrats, Trump isn't even comparable. A lot of Democrats can find points of commonality with Trump like the Syria thing. With Bush? No way. Don't forget Bush launched the Iraq war which has been the defining issue for Democrats for a decade and a half. The war is what made Bush so hated. Recently I've been thinking the Iraq war was even worse than I'd imagined; it may have been the death knell of Western civilization, which I didn't even consider at the time. Heck, I know it doesn't seem this way now, but if Trump doesn't start a major war, words won't be able to express my gratitude.

Even on immigration I believe most Dems opposed him ,because they opposed H1B visas at the time as nothing but visas that benefit corporations.

People also forget Bush also tried to partially privatize social security which I believe was the moment his presidency started to unwind .

Exactly. Plus Bush was too close to Christian conservatives. It's ironic because Trump may deliver more for Christian conservatives than Bush ever did, but because he's not politically close to them formally the Democrats don't hate him as much.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »

Even on immigration I believe most Dems opposed him ,because they opposed H1B visas at the time as nothing but visas that benefit corporations.

People also forget Bush also tried to partially privatize social security which I believe was the moment his presidency started to unwind .

Exactly. Plus Bush was too close to Christian conservatives. It's ironic because Trump may deliver more for Christian conservatives than Bush ever did, but because he's not politically close to them formally the Democrats don't hate him as much.

Bush got partial abortions banned federally, and at the time seemed to have effectively banned gay marriage(with all those propositions banning gay marriage) . The country is way more socially liberal now for Trump to deliver more for Christian conservatives than Bush did .

Trump could get a conservative majority on the Court, which would not only jeopardize Roe, but would impact everything from the death penalty to queer rights to free speech to drug reform to separation of church and state to assisted suicide... pretty much every social issue will shift hard right. It doesn't matter what the country's public opinion is because there is no popular vote, and a hard right Court majority endures for generations.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies