Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:33:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 84
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide  (Read 296495 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: March 04, 2018, 11:23:05 PM »

Rome-based Luiss University's CISE headed by prominent political scientist Roberto D'Alimonte just posted an analysis stressing that Five Star got its best results in the areas with more unemployment while the League got more votes in constituencies with more immigrants.

https://cise.luiss.it/cise/2018/03/05/disoccupazione-e-immigrazione-dietro-i-vincitori-del-4-marzo/
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1676 on: March 04, 2018, 11:34:29 PM »

What I am reading from various news wires:

1) Five Star Movement candidate Luigi Di Maio will speak to the media later today and will likely call on President Sergio Mattarella to give Five Star the first chance to form a government, being that they were the most-voted party with about 33 percent of the popular vote.

2) The League's strong showing, winning about 17 percent of the vote and surpassing Silvio Berlusconi's Forza Italia party in the Center-Right coalition, will make it less likely the League would seek a post-election, anti-establishment alliance with Five Star, even if they had enough seats for a majority.

3) Berlusconi's Center-Right coalition will also demand the right to form a government as their combined votes of more than 35 percent will top Five Star. The coalition will also win the most seats in both chambers, but remain well short of a majority.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1677 on: March 04, 2018, 11:41:03 PM »

What I am reading from various news wires:

1) Five Star Movement candidate Luigi Di Maio will speak to the media later today and will likely call on President Sergio Mattarella to give Five Star the first chance to form a government, being that they were the most-voted party with about 33 percent of the popular vote.

2) The League's strong showing, winning about 17 percent of the vote and surpassing Silvio Berlusconi's Forza Italia party in the Center-Right coalition, will make it less likely the League would seek a post-election, anti-establishment alliance with Five Star, even if they had enough seats for a majority.

3) Berlusconi's Center-Right coalition will also demand the right to form a government as their combined votes of more than 35 percent will top Five Star. The coalition will also win the most seats in both chambers, but remain well short of a majority.

Since the President is a leftist, he'll probably prefer to give M5S the first opportunity, right? Not that its ideal for him or anything, but still.
Harlow

« Reply #1678 on: March 04, 2018, 11:45:45 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2018, 11:49:25 PM by Harlow »

I've been steadily editing a map of FPTP Senate seats as results come in, this is what I have as of right now.

Blue is center-right coalition
Yellow is M5S
Red is center-left coalition
Gray is other (The two seats in Tyrol are SVP-PATT)
Could you post it? I've looked all over for a live results map colored by party, but I guess there aren't any.

Didn't know imgur didn't work here. Hopefully this site does.

I'll make a map based off of individual parties instead of coalitions later, hopefully to see the Lega-FI split.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1679 on: March 04, 2018, 11:47:10 PM »

Signing off for the night.

Overall, the big winner tonight is Lega. Benefited from Forza getting screwed in the south, benefited from the populist angst, benefited from the Left vote getting cut in the Red Belt FPTP seats, and finally benefited supremely from the Right wing alliance and pact. We very well could end up with a Lega lead government, a government lead by a party that was dying last election.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1680 on: March 04, 2018, 11:50:42 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

He's in the PD, yes. But a leftist? looool...
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1681 on: March 04, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »

Apologies. Centre-leftist?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1682 on: March 04, 2018, 11:58:01 PM »

Renzi needs to leave.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1683 on: March 05, 2018, 12:02:12 AM »

I can't imagine he doesn't. This is a disaster.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1684 on: March 05, 2018, 12:07:26 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2018, 12:12:23 AM by PittsburghSteel »

Honestly, I always knew PD was headed for a bad night, but his referendum and his resignation/return really screwed the bloc over.

Anyways, I'm predicting an M5S-PD coalition with Genitiloni as Prime Minister. Renzi is foolish if he thinks either party is gonna want him to be the head.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1685 on: March 05, 2018, 12:18:08 AM »

Honestly, I always knew PD was headed for a bad night, but his referendum and his resignation/return really screwed the bloc over.

Anyways, I'm predicting an M5S-PD coalition with Genitiloni as Prime Minister. Renzi is foolish if he thinks either party is gonna want him to be the head.

It seems the betting markets agree with you on Genitiloni, but could you explain to me why that is / M5S would go along with that?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1686 on: March 05, 2018, 12:23:53 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2018, 12:27:16 AM by PittsburghSteel »

It seems the betting markets agree with you on Genitiloni, but could you explain to me why that is / M5S would go along with that?

Well, M5S and their leaders seem to align, policy-wise, more with the Democrats and their Centre-left bloc. The only thing they have in common with the League is their anti-migrant policies, and they have virtually nothing in common with Forza Italia.

The only thing getting in the way of a M5S-PD coalition is their views on the EU. I'm sure the PD is willing to make SOME concessions to the Movement in order to keep Salvini from becoming Prime Minister. One of those is almost certainly going to be ejecting Renzi as their head, which I'm sure the vast majority of their party members are willing to do. He did, after all, just lead them to near-extinction at the polls.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1687 on: March 05, 2018, 12:29:58 AM »

No chance in hell.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1688 on: March 05, 2018, 12:30:51 AM »

No chance in hell.

There is a chance in hell, believe it or not. You'd be foolish to think neither the PD or the M5S aren't at least considering it.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1689 on: March 05, 2018, 12:31:46 AM »

Why would the M5S agree to a PD politician when they're the bigger party? Wouldn't it be M5S-PD with Di Maio as PM?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1690 on: March 05, 2018, 12:33:25 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2018, 12:37:23 AM by PittsburghSteel »

I don't know!

Maybe. I strongly believe that if there is a coalition it will be M5S-PD. As for Gentiloni I was going off of the betting markets.

I'm not a psychic and neither of us know what the party leaders are thinking.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1691 on: March 05, 2018, 12:36:16 AM »

apparently there's musings that Renzi may be dumped as PD leader in favour of a figure like Mayor of Naples Luigi de Magistris or President of Apulia Region Michele Emiliano.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1692 on: March 05, 2018, 12:39:01 AM »

I wouldn't mind Emiliano. As for Renzi being dumped, those aren't simply just "musings". He's finished after tonight.
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #1693 on: March 05, 2018, 12:45:11 AM »

Why doesn't Salvini shave? I remember when fascists used to have some form of style for their facial hair, not gross neckbeards.

BTW I've just noticed CasaPound leader's beard:
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1694 on: March 05, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »

I don't know!

Maybe. I strongly believe that if there is a coalition it will be M5S-PD. As for Gentiloni I was going off of the betting markets.

I'm not a psychic and neither of us know what the party leaders are thinking.

Dude, you're some guy from Pennsylvania who's talking out of his ass. Other people in this thread have been following Italian politics for a decade or more.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1695 on: March 05, 2018, 12:50:32 AM »

apparently there's musings that Renzi may be dumped as PD leader in favour of a figure like Mayor of Naples Luigi de Magistris or President of Apulia Region Michele Emiliano.

De Magistris isn't even in the PD.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1696 on: March 05, 2018, 12:52:48 AM »

Never said it was reliable musings. Cheesy

It's really weird that we dropped the ball on the last PD leadership election where Renzi was re-elected against some hack and Emiliano. I don't remember it all.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1697 on: March 05, 2018, 01:06:40 AM »

Never said it was reliable musings. Cheesy

It's really weird that we dropped the ball on the last PD leadership election where Renzi was re-elected against some hack and Emiliano. I don't remember it all.

I was there to talk about it. Tongue Yeah, Emiliano would have been nice, but I doubt even he can salvage the PD at this point.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.01

« Reply #1698 on: March 05, 2018, 01:49:48 AM »

Can somebody please explain what is going on in the Lucca collegio uninominale?

To wit, the center-left candidate has 26,51%, the M5S has 26,05%, while the center-right candidate has 19,97%... and the eletto sign next to his name. How does this happen?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1699 on: March 05, 2018, 01:56:01 AM »

Can somebody please explain what is going on in the Lucca collegio uninominale?

To wit, the center-left candidate has 26,51%, the M5S has 26,05%, while the center-right candidate has 19,97%... and the eletto sign next to his name. How does this happen?

I see the right at 28,38%.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies