Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:21:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 84
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide  (Read 296517 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: November 15, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »

Did anybody ever consider leaving the Senate mostly as-is but removing the requirement that it give the Prime Minister confidence?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #826 on: November 15, 2016, 12:49:27 PM »

I'm trying to understand this reform, but it seems to me very weird and confusing. So, the senate will be reduced, and the election for congress will have a second round between the two most voted parties in the first round, right?
The Senate will be reduced in terms of Senators and, more importantly, of powers.
It will not be able to kick out the government anymore, and will focus exclusively on local matters, concerning the regions.

Right now, instead, the House and the Senate both discuss the exact same topics, can both give votes of confidence to the government. The only thing differentiating them is the electorate (only those 25 or older can vote for the Senate).
Oh, and also, right now any law has to be approved by both chambers. If even a comma is changed in either chamber, the other one has to approve it from scratch. This really affects the legislative process.

As for the electoral law, yes, the current law has a second round between the two top parties. But a recent agreement between Renzi and part of PD's minority included changes to that.

Hmm.. I'm starting to get it. I approve the part where the senate has it's powers and size reduced. Also, i think this new system is somewhat similar to Spain's bicameral system.
On the other hand, the change in the electoral law i think is ludicrous. Why not use the system is Germany, where part of the seats are elected by FPTP and the other in a proportional vote. I think this system is very wise because it joins governability with proportionality.
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #827 on: November 15, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »

I thought the Italicum was a separate thing and had already been approved.

Also, what's with so much of the left being opposed? Is it just because they hate Renzi personally?
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #828 on: November 15, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2016, 04:37:01 PM by Roma Caput Mundi »

I thought the Italicum was a separate thing and had already been approved.

Also, what's with so much of the left being opposed? Is it just because they hate Renzi personally?

Italicum has been approved, but Renzi agreed to change parts of it in order to make peace with part of the minority within his party.

Yeah, what remains of the left (the party is Sinistra Italiana, which polls at 3%; the leader of the left-wing No is D'Alema, the politician who stabbed Prodi in the back in 1998 in order to become PM) is against the reform mostly because of Renzi.
Take D'Alema: he was part of the old guard kicked out by Renzi in 2013. Then they made peace, only for D'Alema to become Renzi's worse enemy once he was overlooked in favour of Mogherini as Italy's pick for High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs...

In fact, many things which are in today's reform were also part of the constitutional reform proposed in the late 1990's by...D'Alema himself.
Nanwe
Rookie
Spain

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -8.00

« Reply #829 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:45 AM »

I'm trying to understand this reform, but it seems to me very weird and confusing. So, the senate will be reduced, and the election for congress will have a second round between the two most voted parties in the first round, right?
The Senate will be reduced in terms of Senators and, more importantly, of powers.
It will not be able to kick out the government anymore, and will focus exclusively on local matters, concerning the regions.

Right now, instead, the House and the Senate both discuss the exact same topics, can both give votes of confidence to the government. The only thing differentiating them is the electorate (only those 25 or older can vote for the Senate).
Oh, and also, right now any law has to be approved by both chambers. If even a comma is changed in either chamber, the other one has to approve it from scratch. This really affects the legislative process.

As for the electoral law, yes, the current law has a second round between the two top parties. But a recent agreement between Renzi and part of PD's minority included changes to that.

Hmm.. I'm starting to get it. I approve the part where the senate has it's powers and size reduced. Also, i think this new system is somewhat similar to Spain's bicameral system.
On the other hand, the change in the electoral law i think is ludicrous. Why not use the system is Germany, where part of the seats are elected by FPTP and the other in a proportional vote. I think this system is very wise because it joins governability with proportionality.

Except it doesn't. In Germany's model, the list votes compensate for the unproportionality of the single-member seats, essentially returning a proportional chamber. What you're referring to is Additional Member Syatems like Scotland's or Japan's. And iirc MMP was already used in Italy since 1994 until 2006 and it didn't guarantee more stability. I suppose the biggest issues of Italian politics are the weakness of the executive, the perfect bicameralism of the Parliament and/or the lack of internal cohesion of the parties
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #830 on: November 17, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »

You're right, i was confusing Germany's system with AMS. Thanks Nawne for the clarification! Smiley
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #831 on: November 18, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »

Polls say No will win, Renzi hinting he'll quit if so.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #832 on: November 18, 2016, 11:35:52 AM »

The fact is that if NO wins (in this case we'd keep the clause that the Senate will have to give confidence to the government) and assuming Renzi resigns, there'd be a House law that guarantee a majority to one party, but there's a Senate law that means 3 parties that almost equally split the seats, so no governability and infinite elections like Greece, unless the NO parties (5 Stars, centre-right, PD left-wing, left) can find an agreement on a new Senate electoral law, but I think it's pretty unlikely.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #833 on: November 18, 2016, 11:42:45 AM »

You think he will quit?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #834 on: November 18, 2016, 12:35:52 PM »

He didn't explicitly said that, but he said that he's at the top of the government to change things, not to float, and that politics is not the only thing that counts in life and that he can't live without politics, so I (and almost all people) assume that he'll resign as PM.

He might remain as PD secretary, but in this case he'd rule out PD's participation in a new government and this means new elections.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #835 on: November 21, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »

The latest from Grillo:

"Those who support the Constitutional reform are the serial killers of our children's future"
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #836 on: November 21, 2016, 11:28:22 AM »

imho, it's only natural renzi would quit if the best shot to save italy from itself get sabotaged like that from the crypto-"draintheswamp" party.

at this point, grillo is only a crazy old man, trying to tear down his own country.

Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #837 on: November 23, 2016, 08:05:37 PM »

My natural vote would be NO, not only to the reform, but principally to the insane electoral law that the potential new system would be based on.

But now I'm literally in fear of a Berlusconi resurgence with a NO victory...really undecided...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #838 on: November 25, 2016, 05:45:09 AM »

The Economist is supporting No.

Yeah...
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #839 on: November 25, 2016, 08:33:06 AM »

My natural vote would be NO, not only to the reform, but principally to the insane electoral law that the potential new system would be based on.

But now I'm literally in fear of a Berlusconi resurgence with a NO victory...really undecided...
More than a Berlusconi resurgence, there'd be an high chance of a Grillo and Salvini grow, with a good chance for one of them to win the next election.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #840 on: November 25, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »

So December 4: Hofer in, Renzi out. A fitting end of 2016.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #841 on: November 25, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »

No senate electoral law can assure a majority in the Senate and "meno che mai" the same majority of Camera
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #842 on: November 25, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »

No senate electoral law can assure a majority in the Senate and "meno che mai" the same majority of Camera
That's true.
If NO wins, we'd keep the current text, which says that the senate electoral law shall ensure that Senators are elected by the regions, which means the Senate electoral law shall be something like the former one (each region elect a number of Senators regionwide, with a majority price in every region). In Italy there are 3 parties/coalitions which, as of now, almost equally split the vote. Every party has some regional strongholds, others would be toss-ups, but a majority for one party would be almost impossible to get, expecially one that's the same of the House.
That's why I think the Senate shall no longer give confidence to the government, so that the party that wins in the House has a clear majority and a clear mandate to govern, and that's why I'm supporting the Constitutional reform.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #843 on: November 25, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »

There is no more the majority premium, we have a proportional system with 8% threshold (coalition 20% within 3%)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #844 on: November 25, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »

Any chance, if the NO wins, Renzi makes a U-turn and says he's not resigning? Because, after all, this is Matteo Renzi. Wink
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #845 on: November 25, 2016, 01:22:38 PM »

what does that mean within this context?
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #846 on: November 25, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »

It seems a paradox, but the extreme parties like M5S or Lega Nord are more likely to obtain a majority after a Yes victory than witha No victory, because only with the "italicum" electoral law they could win in the second term and reach the absolute majority
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #847 on: November 25, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »

Any chance, if the NO wins, Renzi makes a U-turn and says he's not resigning? Because, after all, this is Matteo Renzi. Wink

He'll still be leader of PD, so there will probably be an interim PM and early elections, where he probably is still favoured to win a mandate.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #848 on: November 25, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »

It seems a paradox, but the extreme parties like M5S or Lega Nord are more likely to obtain a majority after a Yes victory than witha No victory, because only with the "italicum" electoral law they could win in the second term and reach the absolute majority
The referendum is not on the Italicum law (there was an agreement in PD for changing it). If Yes wins, the Senate will not have to give confidence to the government, and the winner of the House election will be able to set up a stable government for 5 years.
Personally, I disagree with M5S or Lega Nord, but if the people pick them, they deserve the chance to lead the country.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #849 on: November 25, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »

italy is the only western country atm in which one establishment party wants to reshape something important and the populists - left and right - are winning the fight for the status quo.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies