What does the GOP stand for? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:07:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What does the GOP stand for? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does the GOP stand for?  (Read 3607 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: February 11, 2006, 08:50:10 AM »

The GOP stands for the following:

-More limited government than the Democrats (I say 'more' limited because it's hard to argue anymore that the GOP stands for small government).

-Strong national defense, rather than a Blame America First policy of adopting and accomodating the world view of those who wish to attack us

-Tough policies against crime rather than coddling criminals and blaming society

-Lower taxes than the Democrats support

-Traditional values as opposed to "alternative values"

There's probably more, but that's what I'm thinking at this time.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 08:52:30 AM »

Interesting.  I don't talk about it much, but I am exposed to an incredible level of greed on a daily basis at my job.  The only problem with your theory is that in real life, there is no correlation between level of greed and political leanings.  Those with Democratic leanings are just as greedy as those with Republican leanings, in my experience.

Greed can be a good motivator, though excessive greed can be a cancer.  I see a good amount of the latter.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 09:40:38 AM »

We are not as bad as they are. That really has become the battle cry for both of the big parties, hasn’t it?

It probably always has been, for the most part.  There are rare times when parties rise above that, but apparently this is not one of them.

Parties have always defined themselves, to some extent, by their opposition to the other party.  But I agree that positive messages are needed.  But comparison with the other party doesn't necessarily preclude a positive message.

I disagree with you that traditional values aren't Christian values.  I think it shows how radical the Democratic party has become on this issue that you are arguing this point.  Democrats used to support Christian values without question.  Now there is a determined assault on Christian values, and in most cases, those waging it are part of the Democratic party.

I don't accept your contention that the GOP wants to force people to adopt Christian values through legislation.  I assume you're referring to abortion and gay marriage.  Gay marriage of course has never been legal in the past as far as anybody can remember, so I find it funny how its proponents talk as if those opposing it want to take away this great  right they've always had, when in reality it has never existed.  And abortion was traditionally illegal also on the grounds that it was murder.  Maybe we should repeal the laws against murder also, since they come from the ten commandments.  That would give people more 'freedom' to live life without the burdens of a theocratic government.

I realize I'm being a little sarcastic, and I hope you don't take it personally, but I find many of the arguments against traditional values to be some of the most pernicious stuff out there.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »

Is that why the Democrats fought Republican plans to reform welfare, preferring to stick with the then-current failed system?

Same thing with inner city education at this point.

On some fronts, the Democrats are the party of the status quo.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies