Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:10:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 911150 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: February 24, 2022, 04:55:10 PM »

I came to this thread expecting to read about the horror of brave Ukrainians being killed by Russian scum but was pleasantly surprised to see that jaichind's portfolio is doing well. Every cloud folks.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 07:50:46 PM »

Reading this thread is like stepping in a parallel universe where Ukraine is winning the war, except IRL Kiev might be taken tonight, 2 days after the war started. I understand you're all cheerleading for one side, but you should at least read some of the Tweets you're posting and realize that they actually reveal what dire straits Ukraine is in, like the post about the TV program showing how to make Molotov cocktails and the video of Zelensky on the street in Kiev vowing to fight to the end and saying how we may not see him again.

No one posting in this thread is unaware of the numerical realities here.

The thread has a lot of posts about the victories of Ukrainian patriots against the oppressor, when they occur, because all decent people support Ukraine's defiance against evil. We applaud when we see Russian troops have been sent directly to hell because, even if they "win", it's heartening to think that they will pay in blood for every bit of land they steal.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 08:14:05 PM »

Shockingly according to a new Poll Voters think Putin would not have invaded Ukraine if Trump was President

I dislike Trump as much as any other Democrat, I agree with the 62%. Putin generally avoided provoking the US during the Trump administration. Trump espoused things Putin wanted (leaving NATO, reducing US troop numbers in Europe, etc.) and openly mentioned his admiration of Putin. If Putin invaded Ukraine, he'd lose any hope of weakening NATO (not to mention actively give NATO countries reason to support the organization) and give up the best relationship with a US President he's ever had. Invasion under a Trump administration makes no sense for Putin.

Yes, if only we had a Putin lickspittle in the White House, Putin would never have invaded Ukraine. I don’t know why you think it would damage his relationship with Trump when Trump is saying how smart and strong Putin is for invading Ukraine or why you think an even further damaged NATO wouldn’t embolden him.

I’m not sure how this is much better than Sergei’s ‘if only the Ukrainians had personally blow Putin this would all go away’ hot take.

Presumably the logic is Trump would have used US power to just hand Ukraine to Russia without the need for a war in about February 2021.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies