Applying the cube root rule for state houses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:36:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Applying the cube root rule for state houses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Applying the cube root rule for state houses  (Read 1349 times)
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« on: October 07, 2020, 04:43:59 PM »
« edited: October 07, 2020, 06:05:05 PM by Sword of Damocles »

The cube root rule is an often-proposed constitutional amendment, which would fix the size of the US House of Representatives to the whole number closest to the cube root of the sum of all state populations, as measured at the most recent decennial census.

Though this amendment is often applied in the context of the US House, I was curious as to the effect on the number of state house seats in each state - which often gets ignored.

So, I fired up my spreadsheet application and entered in the population of each state, using 2010 US census data. I then took the cube root of every state population, to yield the number of state legislative seats required in each state. I then divided the state's population by its number of legislative seats, to yield the average population per seat ratio.

This process yielded a total of 8,256 state house seats. California had the most seats (334), while Wyoming had the least (83). The population to seat ratio varied from 6,823:1 in Wyoming, to 111,545:1 in California.

I don't have the advanced software or computing power required for drawing individual districts for the state legislatures that would be constituted with these rules, but I can append the original data tables for your viewing. Use the spoilers to view them. They are ordered by population, as of the 2010 census.

California through Colorado

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Alabama through Montana

Delaware through Wyoming

Feel free to view your state and create a district map of your own, if you have the resources and are so inclined. If requested by popular demand, I can also create a corresponding table for the District of Columbia and the various territories.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies