Is a former President a veteran? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:28:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is a former President a veteran? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is a former President a veteran?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Is a former President a veteran?  (Read 1127 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »

He is not.  The whole point was to have the military under the control of a civilian.  It was never the Founders intent that the president be a member of the army he commands.  See, for example, Alexander Hamilton in Federalist Papers number 28, or James Madison's comments in number 41.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »

To be a veteran, all you have to do is serve for 4 years.

No, all you have to do is serve, be it for a day or for a decade.  The time doesn't matter.

Serve here is the key word.  A reservist, for example, would not be a veteran.  Although "serve" is the root of the word reserve, being a reservist does not count for active duty unless your unit is called and you report for duty, at least according to the PBS reports that focus on the sorry state of our veterans' services.  Someone who signs up in the regular army or navy, then is discharged a day later whether honorably or dishonorably, is a veteran.  Someone who signs up for the national guard or reserves, and is in it for 30 years, but who never gets action, is not a veteran, by the current definition of the Veteran's Administration.

But all that is off topic.  The question only asked whether holding the office of president qualified one as a veteran.  Clearly this was never the intent of the founders.  Of course, it is possible to be both a president and a veteran.  This was the case of George Washington, and most recently in the case of George H. W. Bush, and maybe even in the case of his son.  It was never clear to me whether the Bush the Younger was a veteran.  I know he was called to "active duty" at some point while he was in the Air National Guard, but my impression of his service is based mostly on an episode of Family Guy and not on US Department of Defense records, so I'm a bit mystified.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies