Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:06:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 107728 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: December 20, 2005, 07:01:02 PM »

I see no urgent legislation, so I can't understand why Al is removing this. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not upset or angry; just depressed (for reasons that have nothing to do with this) and frustrated at the whole legislative introduction system which has been driving me up the wall for a while... do you think a system of committee's would work better? I can't think of much worse than the current setup (actually I *can*; the current setup minus the safeguards. *shudders at the thought*).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tell you what, as a compromise I'll let one of those bills onto the floor. We don't have time to get through the whole lot anyway (which is why they're being removed) I don't mind which one, btw.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #551 on: December 20, 2005, 07:02:04 PM »

But, does the PPT have anyway to suspend them or something?

I'm not sure I understand this question.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2005, 07:03:04 PM »

Don't be; it's nice to see someone new around here that's actually *keen*
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2005, 07:03:40 PM »

Sorry, I still haven't had enough time to read over the OSPR.  What would tabling them do?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #554 on: December 20, 2005, 07:06:31 PM »

Sorry, I still haven't had enough time to read over the OSPR.  What would tabling them do?

Tabling a bill is essentially a motion that any senator can bring on a bill that will remove the bill from consideration before debate time is up if a majority of senators (or two-thirds... I don't remember which) vote in favor of the motion.  It's essentially another safeguard against time-wasting legislation that will obviously fail for when the PPT doesn't remove the bill from consideration.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #555 on: December 20, 2005, 07:10:03 PM »

Tabling a bill is essentially a motion that any senator can bring on a bill that will remove the bill from consideration before debate time is up if a majority of senators (or two-thirds... I don't remember which) vote in favor of the motion.  It's essentially another safeguard against time-wasting legislation that will obviously fail for when the PPT doesn't remove the bill from consideration.

Nuts.  Well then, I guess Al's decision wasn't that bad after all... Undecided  If only Defarge were active, we could bump the legislation that's behind these bills up, so that we could wait until we were done with the budget to debate these.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #556 on: December 20, 2005, 07:10:36 PM »

Don't be; it's nice to see someone new around here that's actually *keen*

Thanks Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #557 on: December 21, 2005, 12:00:10 AM »

My advice to Cheesewhiz is to get DanielX to challenge Al's action and see if DanielX can get two Senators to side with him.  That's all that would be needed to overturn the action.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #558 on: December 25, 2005, 08:25:39 PM »

I would like to urge the Senate to extend the TSP testing program for another couple years or months.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #559 on: December 28, 2005, 04:55:29 PM »

I would like to urge the Senate to extend the TSP testing program for another couple years or months.

Anyone?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #560 on: December 30, 2005, 06:17:37 AM »

Welfare Reform Act

1. Welfare is still in a mess and needs to be fixed. Keeps people in poverty rather than trying to raise them out of it etc. etc.

2. Might as well introduce this now and flesh the bill out on the floor

Committee Resolution

1. The Senate still isn't enough of a collective body

2. Maybe committee's will help

3. Once again, I might as well introduce this now and flesh the resolution out later

Public Interest Amendment

1. It seems logical that the Senate should be able to legislate on the grounds of Public Interest

2. The tricky part is working out what that is

3. And yet again, I might as well introduce this now and flesh the Amendment out later
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #561 on: December 30, 2005, 07:27:45 PM »

From a concerned constituent:

Article III, Section 2, Clause 2 of the OPSR shall be amended to read:

"At any one time, there may be no more than five pieces of legislation on the Senate floor. Of these, no more than two shall be constitutional amendments. The PPT shall leave one spot open for the introduction of legislation that he considers to be related to forum affairs, and emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article VII, Section 1."
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #562 on: January 03, 2006, 04:10:29 PM »

Comprehensive Energy Bill for the 21st Century

Recognizing the growing threat that dependence on foreign sources of energy posses to Atlasia’s security, the Senate approves the following measures to alleviate the current energy crisis.

Section One:

Any Atlasian corporation engaged in the active research of hydrogen fuel cells shall be given a tax break of 25% of the yearly expense of their research program.

Section Two:

Any Atlasian corporation engaged in the active research of a fusion reactor shall be given a tax break of 25% of the yearly expense of their research program.

Section Three:

The tax break for the purchase of a hybrid car shall be raised to $ 1500 in the year of purchase and $ 750 every subsequent year the car is operated by the original owner.

Section Four:

The federal government shall establish a grant program to assist local authorities in the construction, expansion, and maintenance of a public transportation system. This program shall receive funds totaling 3750 million dollars each year from FY 2007 to FY 2011.
a)   The local authority must be either planning or constructing a public transportation system in at least part of their jurisdiction.
b)   A public transportation system shall be defined as a subway, light rail, bus, or monorail line.
c)   The local authority must be independently audited and must report upon the progress of the program at the conclusion of each federal fiscal year.
d)   If federal funds are misappropriated from the program, the funds for the subsequent fiscal year shall be cancelled.
e)   No authority may request funds in excess of 150 million dollars per fiscal year nor shall any authority receive funding in excess of such an amount.

Section Five:
The Senate will authorize a commission for the study of converting certain high use interstate highways into toll roads utilizing an automated payment system. This commission shall be appointed by the Senate and shall receive funding of 0.25 million dollars. They shall prepare a report within one year on the feasibility and the economic benefits of such a conversion.

[1] & [2] -These tax breaks will help spur investment into these technologies while retaining the competition of the free market.

[3] - The present tax break is $ 500 per year.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #563 on: January 03, 2006, 06:00:43 PM »

I was working on that Jake, so thanks, now I don't have to! Tongue
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #564 on: January 03, 2006, 07:05:26 PM »

Care to share any ideas?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #565 on: January 03, 2006, 07:06:04 PM »

I was just going to start so I haven't actually written or thought of how I'd wanted to change it yet. Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #566 on: January 03, 2006, 10:26:11 PM »

Senate Resolution on Military Forces in Europe

1. The Senate recognizes the long lived threat of conventional war in Europe has ended.

2. The Senate also recognizes the usefulness of European bases for deployment to other overseas theaters.

3. Therefore, the Senate urges the President to order our conventional forces in Germany, the United Kingdom, and the Low Countries to return home to continental United States bases.

4. The Senate also resolves to work as a committee to study the future of military bases in Europe and to work towards the best deployment of forces to maintain our strategic deployment capabilities.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #567 on: January 05, 2006, 05:24:17 PM »

What is conventional forces defined as?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #568 on: January 05, 2006, 05:29:47 PM »

They are normally defined as (traditionally) non-nuclear units, but in this context, they mean the heavy divisions based in Germany and the air force wings based in Germany and the UK.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #569 on: January 05, 2006, 05:37:20 PM »

They are normally defined as (traditionally) non-nuclear units, but in this context, they mean the heavy divisions based in Germany and the air force wings based in Germany and the UK.

Cool.  Will there be any combat troops left in Germany though?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #570 on: January 05, 2006, 05:48:56 PM »

If I have my way, there wouldn't. I imagine when it's all said and done, we'll maintain a vanguard force (Striker Brigade and air assets).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #571 on: January 05, 2006, 05:56:12 PM »

If I have my way, there wouldn't. I imagine when it's all said and done, we'll maintain a vanguard force (Striker Brigade and air assets).

So you mean there'd only be a few air units and a skeleton crew along with enough people to actually patrol the bases to make sure people don't get in?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #572 on: January 05, 2006, 06:04:40 PM »

If we leave a Striker Brigade, then that will act as a readily deployable force, along with any air assets left. Any remaining bases we choose to keep, as well as any stores of equiptment left, will be maintained by their current base support units.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #573 on: January 09, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »

This amendment is what the title says. It makes it so if somebody votes abstain on an amendment it means abstain and not nay.

Abstain Means Abstain on Amendments Amendment

1. In order to propose amendments to this Constitution, the Senate shall require the consent of two-thirds of those Senators voting excluding those abstaining.

2. This Amendment is operative to the extent that it does not modify Article I, Section 3, Clause 2.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #574 on: January 10, 2006, 01:37:51 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2006, 02:39:18 AM by Demi-Senator Bono »

Term Limits Amendment

Section 1
Subsection 1
1. No person shall be elected to the office of Senator more than two consecutive terms, or during the four months after reaching his term limit, whether for the same District or Region, or for different ones.

2. No person shall be elected to the office of President or Vice-President twice in any two consecutive general elections, or during the six months after reaching his term limit

Subsection 2
1. On Clause One, Section One, Article Two of the Atlasian Constitution shall read as follows:
"The executive power shall be vested in the President of the Republic of Atlasia. He shall be elected with a Vice President for a term of approximately six months.

Section Two
1. Persons currenly holding office shall be affected by this Amendment with respect to the number of consecutive terms already completed insofaras it shall affect their candidacy at the next scheduled election.

Section Three
1. In case a Senator is elected by special election, or appointed by a Governor, if the length of time from his swearing in to his ceasing of functions shall be longer than half of the term, it shall count as one term for effects of this amendment. If the length of time from his swearing in to his ceasing of functions shall be shorter than half of the term, it shall not count for the purposes of this amendment.

2. In case someone is selected to the office of Vice President by the Senate in case of a Vacancy, if the length of time from his swearing in to his ceasing of functions shall be longer than half of the term, it shall count as one term for effects of this amendment. If the length of time from his swearing in to his ceasing of functions shall be shorter than half of the term, it shall not count fo the purposes of this amendment.

3. In case someone arises to the office of President by means of a vacancy,  if the length of time from his swearing in to his ceasing of functions shall be longer than half of the term, it shall count as one term for effects of this amendment. If the length of time from his swearing in to his ceasing of functions shall be shorter than half of the term, it shall not count fo the purposes of this amendment.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies