Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:20:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 107732 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: August 08, 2005, 02:57:25 PM »

I'd like to co-sponsor Harry's space bills, and, in the case that he leaves the Senate before they come to the floor I'd like to take over as sponsor. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #351 on: August 08, 2005, 06:04:49 PM »

Upon reading this post again.  I must agree with Former Senator Naso that "nothing" makes us happy, which is exactly what he proposed.  "Nothing."
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #352 on: August 08, 2005, 06:10:36 PM »

I request the President pro tempore's consent to bring the Unified Electoral Code Bill to the floor of the Senate ahead of schedule. Otherwise, it would not be passed by the time elections are held. And, as this merely consolidates and corrects existing law, we need not wait until the Commission on Voting System Reform reports; that, I imagine, will take quite some time.

Emergency Niger Relief Act

Whereas, the people of Niger are suffereing from extreme poverty, famine, and lack of aid;

The Republic of Atlasia:

1. Approves an emergency budget of $25,000,000 to be given to the United Nations relief fund for direct aid for the people of Niger.

Again, in MUN format. Smiley

I would also like to ask the PPT to move this to the front of the line. It is really necessary.

Both of these requests seem fine to me.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #353 on: August 10, 2005, 03:16:33 PM »

On behalf of the Vice President:

Affirmative Action Bill

1. For the purposes of this act, "affirmative action" is defined as granting special preference or other advantage in employment to individuals on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or economic status.

2. No agency of the federal government of Atlasia may use affirmative action in any decision relating to the selection, payment, treatment, or dismissal of any employee.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2005, 04:37:36 PM »

On the behalf of Vice President Emsworth (AGAIN!):

Military Readiness Enhancement Bill

1.The Armed Forces of Atlasia shall not prevent from enlisting, punish, discharge, or discriminate against individuals on the grounds of sexual orientation.

2. Any person discharged from the Armed Forces on the grounds of sexual orientation shall be permitted to re-enlist, if otherwise eligible.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #355 on: August 13, 2005, 07:35:17 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2005, 08:26:12 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

Given that the Senate seems determined not to let this come to a vote, I'm introducing it as an entirely new bill:

EDIT: And adding a bit to address what Ernest has said.

Pledge of Allegiance Bill II

§ 1.  There shall be no officially sanctioned pledge of allegiance to Atlasia, its flag, or its government that shall be given or suggested to private citizens to recite in or on the grounds of any public institution, including, but not limited to, public schools.

§ 2.  The content of section 1 shall not be construed to impose any illegality upon oaths of office given to individuals who have been elected or appointed to a government position.  Oaths of office in all cases shall remain untouched and shall continue to be required before any government service shall commence.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #356 on: August 15, 2005, 10:40:50 PM »

All these commission bills are getting out of hand and we need a simple resolution to deal with this.  If it needs to be an act or amendment instead of a resolution, then Emsworth and Gabu have my permission to change it.

Senate Resolution on the Creation of Commissions
§1.  The Senate shall not be allowed to activate more than one commission, committee, council, panel, or board during any period of time.

§2.  If the need for the above slot is deemed urgent, the Senate may recess an activated one for the more urgent matter.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2005, 10:44:04 PM »

It should be fine as a resolution; it will only be binding internally. (In other words, the Senate would be able to just waive this procedural resolution if necessary.)

But, I would disagree that we have too many commission bills; in fact, there is only one on the Senate floor now, and it appears likely to fail.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #358 on: August 16, 2005, 12:15:07 PM »

Protection of the Right to Bear Arms Bill

Section One: Ownership of Firearms and Low-Potency Explosives
1. Any federal law prohibiting a category of persons from owning  firearms or low-potency explosives is hereby repealed, except as provided by clause 2 of this section.

2. A court of law may punish an individual convicted of a felony under federal law by suspending his right to bear firearms and low-potency explosives for a period of years, or for life.

Section Two: Liability
1. The manufacturer or seller of firearms or low-potency explosives shall not be held liable for death, physical injury, or property damage resulting from the use of said firearms or low-potency explosives.

2. Clause 1 of this section shall not apply where:

(a) Death, physical injury, or property damage is the direct result of a defect in the design or manufacture of the product;
(b) The seller negligently supplies the product to a person whom he knows, or reasonably should know, is likely to use said product in an unlawful manner involving unreasonable risk to others;
(c) The manufacturer or seller is an accessory to, or is otherwise unlawfully involved in, the relevant crime.

Section Three: Concealed Carry
1. This section shall only apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories that do not form part of any Region.

2. Any citizen of Atlasia who has completed a safety course on gun use approved by the Department of Justice may apply for a license to conceal and carry a handgun on his person in public areas. The license shall be inoperative unless renewed every five years.

3. A license to conceal and carry a handgun issued by a Region to one of its citizens shall be valid in the District of Columbia and in federal territories, if the Region requires the licensee to complete a course on gun safety approved by the Department of Justice.

4. A license to conceal and carry a handgun issued to a person convicted of a felony under federal or regional law during the past five years, or to any person whose right to bear firearms and low-potency explosives has been suspended under section 1 of this act, shall be invalid.

5. The fee for the issuance or renewal of a license to conceal and carry a handgun shall be $50.

6. The concealed carry of handguns may be disallowed in government-owned buildings, including but not limited to prisons and court houses.

7. An individual may disallow the concealed carry of firearms on his own property.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #359 on: August 20, 2005, 12:17:04 AM »

Since the New Members Needed Bill failed, I think we should still push for the SoFA to attract new members.  The fact is, we are having the same people elected over and over again (including me!, kind of).  I feel new blood participants are necessary to the survival of Atlasia and its continues prosperity.  This has kept Atlasia going until now.  Besides, let's make the game a little more interesting.

Definition of Forum Affairs Department Powers and New Members Still Needed Bill

The Department of Forum Affairs shall be responsible for:

1. Administering all elections to the Presidency and the Senate;

2. Providing a census for Atlasia as provided by the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia and the Miscellany Act;

3. Keeping a list of all registered voters in Atlasia to be used in the aforementioned census;

4. Attracting new members to Atlasia by using his/her powers as he/she sees fit inside the bounds of the constitution and past statutes of the Republic of Atlasia while consulting the President and Senate for any necessary advice or action to be taken in attracting new members.

I believe this bill keeps it pretty open for how the SoFA wants to attract new members, but at the same time faces the issue.  This may go down immediately also, and many senators may be annoyed by me bringing it up again, but I think it's really important.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #360 on: August 20, 2005, 10:24:40 AM »

Since the New Members Needed Bill failed, I think we should still push for the SoFA to attract new members.  The fact is, we are having the same people elected over and over again (including me!, kind of).  I feel new blood participants are necessary to the survival of Atlasia and its continues prosperity.  This has kept Atlasia going until now.  Besides, let's make the game a little more interesting.

2. Providing a census for Atlasia as provided by the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia and the Miscellany Act;

3. Keeping a list of all registered voters in Atlasia to be used in the aforementioned census;

4. Attracting new members to Atlasia by using his/her powers as he/she sees fit inside the bounds of the constitution and past statutes of the Republic of Atlasia while consulting the President and Senate for any necessary advice or action to be taken in attracting new members.

I believe this bill keeps it pretty open for how the SoFA wants to attract new members, but at the same time faces the issue.  This may go down immediately also, and many senators may be annoyed by me bringing it up again, but I think it's really important.

We don't need this kind of legislation as 1-3 are already Forum Affairs common law and as for 4, I trust the SoFA will do the task if we just ask him or have the President issue out an order/
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »

This bill, once again, is not necessary. Clauses 1, 2, and 3 are specified by statute or by the Forum Affairs common law, as King has stated. Clause 4 does not need legislation in order to implement.

I very strongly urge the Senator to withdraw the legislation, lest we have to spend further time debating it, when the Senate has already settled the issue.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2005, 11:30:54 PM »

I withdraw that bill.  I really wasn't planning on pursuing it anyway.  I just want to bring light to the issue.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #363 on: August 21, 2005, 02:14:24 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2005, 02:18:05 PM by Senator True Independent »

Here is a piece of legislation that might be a little controversial:

Reforming Social Security

1. The Thrift Savings Plan is hereby amended to include “Lifecycle Funds”.  Lifecycle funds will be instated under the provisions provided by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board in this report.

2. A program is hereby implemented that explores the idea of extending the benefits and privileges of the Thrift Savings Plan to the general populace.
     a. The said plan shall be first implemented on a trial basis with 500 randomly selected volunteers for each of the G, S, C, F, I, and L funds.
     b. This trial shall last for a duration of 12 months (3 years regular time), with a report being made every 6 months to the Senate by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.
     c. At any time before or after the 12 month deadline of the trial, the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia shall further explore the idea of extending the Thrift Savings Plan to the general public.
     d. If a plan is enacted extending the Thrift Savings Plan to the general populace it must include the following restrictions:
          i. The plan shall replace the Social Security benefits of any participant.
          ii. It shall not be required for any person to invest in the Thrift Savings Plan.
          iii. The plan shall be implemented over a period of twenty years under the guidance of the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, with no participant being over the age of 50 at the time the plan is implemented.

If anyone would like to co-sponsor, just tell me.  Also, this has already met Secretary Supersoulty's approval.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #364 on: August 21, 2005, 05:17:06 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2005, 05:27:03 PM by Senator True Independent »

Ok, another social security bill.

Revenue Act of 2005

Co-sponsor: ColinW

1. All recipients of Social Security benefits who have an individual reported income of above $75,000 or a household income of above $140,000 shall no longer receive social security benefits.

2. If at any point one of the above said recipient's income should suddenly drop below the above said income, they should immediately notify the Social Security Administration.  If the said person's income has actually dropped, then their social security benfits shall resume immediately.

3. Upon the signature of the President, this bill shall take immediate effect.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #365 on: August 24, 2005, 12:09:29 PM »

Atlasian Regional Quarters Act[/i]

1. The Mint shall issue quarter dollar coins commemorating the five Regions of Atlasia.

2. A coin commemorating a particular Region shall include, on the reverse side, a design chosen by that Region, in any manner it sees fit.

3. No design may include a portrait of a living person.

4. The Senate requests Regions to submit their decisions to the Secretary of the Treasury within one month of the passage of this Act.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #366 on: September 03, 2005, 08:41:01 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2005, 10:26:39 AM by Emsworth »

Some new legislation, if a Senator might see fit to introduce it:

Central American Free Trade Agreement Act

1. The Senate hereby approves the Dominican Republic-Central America-United States Free Trade Agreement entered into on August 5, 2004 with the Governments of Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions, and enforce such regulations, as may be necessary to implement the provisions of the Agreement.
3. This Act shall have effect only with respect to those countries which have ratified or approved the Agreement, and which continue to comply with its provisions.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #367 on: September 03, 2005, 02:54:06 PM »

Treasury Policy Review Bill

Preamble
The purpose of this legislation is to clarify the authority of the Secretary of the Treasury.

Section 1 - Creation of the Treasury Policy Review
1. It is the responsibility of the Secretary of the Treasury to maintain and draft the monetary and fiscal policy of Atlasia, and to negotiate agreements relating to trade when requested by the President of Atlasia.
2. The Treasury Policy Review will specifically examine the economy of Atlasia, and detail the monetary and fiscal policy of the federal government.
3. The creation of the Treasury Policy Review will be completed entirely by the Secretary of the Treasury and posted in the Treasury Department thread.

Section 2 - Treasury Department Thread
1. Citizens and elected officials of all branches of the government are invited to give commentary and opinions on Treasury policy in the Treasury Department Thread.
2. The Secretary of the Treasury is under no directive to obey the opinions expressed in the Treasury Department Thread.
3. In instances where the Secretary of the Treasury is unsure of what course of action to take he or she may call on the Senate or Executive for direct input.

Section 3 - Authority of the Treasury Policy Review
1. As drafted, the Treasury Policy Review becomes the official policy of the Republic of Atlasia.
2. Clause 1 shall not apply to any changes in appropriations or taxation that may be recommended in the Treasury Policy Review. Such modifications may only be made by the federal Budget or by an Act of the Senate.

Section 4 - Amending the Treasury Policy Review
1. The Secretary of the Treasury may freely change the Treasury Policy Review of the past office-holders.
2. The President may amend the Treasury Policy Review as he sees fit. The Secretary of the Treasury shall not have the authority to amend or reverse changes made by the President.
3. The Senate may amend the Treasury Policy Review as it sees fit by passing an Act (which shall be subject to the President's veto in the same manner as any other legislation). Neither the Secretary of the Treasury nor the President shall have the authority to amend or reverse changes made by the Senate.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: September 03, 2005, 03:27:25 PM »

1. The Senate hereby approves the Dominican Republic-Central America-United States Free Trade Agreement entered into on August 5, 2004 with the Governments of Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions, and enforce such regulations, as may be necessary to implement the provisions of the Agreement.
3. This Act shall have effect only with respect to those countries which have ratified or approved the Agreement, and which continue to comply with its provisions.

I officially propose this piece of legislation on behalf of Vice President Emsworth.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2005, 02:16:29 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2005, 02:27:53 AM by Senator Porce »

I wanted to include sections in this regarding Supersoulty's other suggestions, but as the idea of providing emergency aide immediately is not in dispute while the other sections have yet to debated (though I doubt there will be much problem) I am introducing this as Bill #1.  Game Moderator Sam Spade wrote in his Daily Planet article:

FEMA head chief Mike Brown said in a press conference today, "I have personally requested $10 billion dollars to aid in an operation of this magnitude and scope.  All truth be told, we have no idea in the end how much this will cost, but this money will be a start."

Hurricane Katrina Relief Bill I

Preamble
The purpose of this bill is to give aide to areas in the Southeast region affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Section 1 - Immediate Monetary Aide
A. The federal government approves $10 billion in immediate aide to be used in the effort to retrieve survivors, establish suitable living conditions, and provide for food, water, and general hygene in areas in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Section 2 - Suspension of Fuel Tax In Federal Government
A. The federal fuel tax is suspended until October 10, 2005, effective upon the passage of this bill.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2005, 09:48:06 AM »

I officially propose this piece of legislation on behalf of Vice President Emsworth.

I'll be a co-sponsor.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #371 on: September 05, 2005, 12:03:28 PM »

Preamble
The purpose of this bill is to give aide to areas in the Southeast region affected by Hurricane Katrina.

A. The federal government approves $10 billion in immediate aide to be used in the effort to retrieve survivors, establish suitable living conditions, and provide for food, water, and general hygene in areas in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi affected by Hurricane Katrina.

A. The federal fuel tax is suspended until October 10, 2005, effective upon the passage of this bill.
As soon as the new President pro tempore gives his approval (necessary, as I am not permitted to act unilaterally by the rules), this bill will be brought to the Senate floor.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #372 on: September 05, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »

Preamble

As soon as the new President pro tempore gives his approval (necessary, as I am not permitted to act unilaterally by the rules), this bill will be brought to the Senate floor.

I fully approve the bringing of this bill to the floor immediately as per the Official Procedural Resolution.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: September 05, 2005, 05:17:46 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2005, 11:28:22 PM by Senator Porce »

Ending of Aided Rebellion Bill

Preamble
The purpose of this bill is to end the possibility of funding and/or aiding of Pro-Democratic and Free China operatives in Mainland China and Taiwan.

1. Clause 2 of the Pacific Defense and Taiwanese Protection Act is hereby repealed.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2005, 04:45:27 PM »

Come on Senators, we need a few more bills! Cheesy

Pretty soon, we'll have nothing more to do. Sad
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies