US House Redistricting: North Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:43:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: North Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: North Carolina  (Read 102887 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 19, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »

The goal really is to get rid of any white legislator who is not a Republican and that is discrimination. It may be legal, but it's certainly not fair and Democrats really need to start shouting it from the rooftops.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #401 on: November 19, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »

The goal really is to get rid of any white legislator who is not a Republican and that is discrimination. It may be legal, but it's certainly not fair and Democrats really need to start shouting it from the rooftops.

Talk about sour grapes.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #402 on: November 19, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 02:40:03 PM by DrScholl »

I'm not calling for entire courts to be impeached or claiming other ideas, so, no. Just telling it like it is.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #403 on: November 19, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »

Lol! That surely explains the safe seats for Foxx, Myrick, and Ellmers, right? Incidentally they went after 4 males.
Yes, the NC maps discriminate against men. I call sexism. Remember that we are a minority. Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #404 on: November 19, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »

The goal really is to get rid of any white legislator who is not a Republican and that is discrimination.

Thats the Republicans' strategy in most of the south Sad
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #405 on: November 19, 2011, 07:46:20 PM »

I just got back from a talk where this was raised (not that specific video, but the general point). I know they targeted as many white Democrats as they could, but it is clear that they were more aggressive towards Democratic women.

On the bright side, a speaker indicated that we will likely have non-partisan redistricting in 2020.

Lol! That surely explains the safe seats for Foxx, Myrick, and Ellmers, right? Incidentally they went after 4 males.

We're referring to the state legislature. The only reason that didn't go after any Democratic Congresswomen here, is that there weren't any.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #406 on: November 19, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »

I just got back from a talk where this was raised (not that specific video, but the general point). I know they targeted as many white Democrats as they could, but it is clear that they were more aggressive towards Democratic women.

On the bright side, a speaker indicated that we will likely have non-partisan redistricting in 2020.

We're referring to the state legislature. The only reason that didn't go after any Democratic Congresswomen here, is that there weren't any.

How amusing to exclude things that disprove this silliness.

Your party has had a century for put nonpartisan redistricting in.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #407 on: November 19, 2011, 08:28:55 PM »

Actually, I'd argue that the Congressional map isn't particularly kind to females either. Both Myrick and Foxx get less safe districts. The new NC-02 only has 25% of its old territory; while its safer for Ellmers, 75% of the electorate being new is almost bordering on an open-seat contest.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #408 on: November 19, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »

How did Myrick get less safe? It went from 54% to 55%, didn't it?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #409 on: November 19, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »

Minor details such as facts should never get in the way of a good story.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #410 on: November 19, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »

Minor details such as facts should never get in the way of a good story.

And in this case, they don't.

'Other way. Myrick goes from 54.6% to 54.1%.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #411 on: November 19, 2011, 10:44:33 PM »

While possible to draw, I doubt that such a district in either Louisiana or Alabama could have been upheld.
South Carolina is a different matter, actually. Though they would have to be quite tentaclish in which rural precincts to include or exclude, the two Black districts to draw there would have been far more logically composed than the one they actually drew.
Of course, Dems were okay with it because the two seats might have been lost in a 2010clone style wave...

The two seats would likely be around 53% black and in the high 50's for Obama.  I could see these two seats being held to the low 50's in a year like 2010, but I doubt Democrats would have lost them even in 2010. 
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #412 on: November 20, 2011, 12:33:58 AM »

The goal really is to get rid of any white legislator who is not a Republican and that is discrimination.

Thats the Republicans' strategy in most of the south country Sad

Fixed.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #413 on: November 20, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »

While possible to draw, I doubt that such a district in either Louisiana or Alabama could have been upheld.
South Carolina is a different matter, actually. Though they would have to be quite tentaclish in which rural precincts to include or exclude, the two Black districts to draw there would have been far more logically composed than the one they actually drew.
Of course, Dems were okay with it because the two seats might have been lost in a 2010clone style wave...

The two seats would likely be around 53% black and in the high 50's for Obama.  I could see these two seats being held to the low 50's in a year like 2010, but I doubt Democrats would have lost them even in 2010. 

A black-majority seat in that area would be about 62%-64% for Obama. I posted an SC map with 2 black majority districts last June and the tentacles aren't particularly extreme. I don't think there's any chance they would have been lost in a 2010-style wave barring bad candidates.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #414 on: November 20, 2011, 06:58:23 AM »

Well, James Clyburn thinks differently. Wink
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #415 on: November 20, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »

The new South Carolina map is certainly quite a doozy. It's cleaner, packs Clyburn better, adds a new GOP district, strengthens Scott and Wilson, and better maintains communities by moving Beaufort out of the Lexington district.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #416 on: November 20, 2011, 03:51:07 PM »

2 VRA seats in Alabama seems pretty doable.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #417 on: November 20, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »

2 VRA seats in Alabama seems pretty doable.
Hm-mmm. It would probably not have been struck if the state had done it on its own accord. But court-mandate that Mobile Bay crosser?

I also drew a map, for my own viewing amusement, that kept the Black district at rural Black Belt + Montgomery, with a politically marginal Birmingham seat. Of course, here the issue is with the second district's successor seat, which needs to connect areas north and south of the eastern part of the Black Belt via a thin connector along the Georgia line.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »

This redistricting session was, by far, the most expensive in NC history.

North Carolina taxpayers have shelled out $695,000 in the past year for outside legal help on the state’s new voting maps – four times what they paid in the previous redistricting cycle from 2001 to 2010 – and the bill is still growing.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2012, 07:57:52 PM »

North Carolina taxpayers have shelled out $695,000 in the past year for outside legal help on the state’s new voting maps – four times what they paid in the previous redistricting cycle from 2001 to 2010 – and the bill is still growing.

And, if the Democrats, and Democratic organizations had chose not to sue, what would the legal bill been then?

Loser pays has a certain appeal.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »

IL established a fixed budget for both sides before the 2010 elections.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »

And, if the Democrats, and Democratic organizations had chose not to sue, what would the legal bill been then?

I know you're quite eager to vilify the Dems here, but in the past, Democrats used private funding to defend their maps in court.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #422 on: March 13, 2012, 12:32:35 AM »

I know you're quite eager to vilify the Dems here, but in the past, Democrats used private funding to defend their maps in court.

Um, in the past the Democrats lost in court. The Republican won in court. The Democrats didn't obey the VRA, the Republicans did.

The added costs to the state rest squarely on those filing frivilous lawsuits.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #423 on: April 17, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »

House Bill 606, a bipartisan bill that creates an independent redistricting process, seems to be gaining steam.

I emailed my Representative, Charles Jeter, a conservative Republican who represents a swingy district, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he supports it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #424 on: April 17, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2013, 01:39:14 PM by windjammer »

Why would the Republicans back this initiative? The governor can't control redistricting and it will be really difficult for the democrats to retake the state senate and the state house!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies